OP
@morgzy avatar
UTC

Piaggio Beverly 350 / BV350

@morgzy avatar
UTC quote
Hello everyone,

I've been having some starting issues with my 2014 Piaggio Beverly 350. The bike tipped over and fell on its side while the engine was idling a few days ago, it was picked up almost instantly and it seemed like there was no issues as it was riding fine for about 1km afterwards. About 10 minutes after this the bike died while the engine was idling and refused to start again.

I initially thought it may be an issue with the tilt / fall sensor however I have checked and looks to be in working order. The fuel pump and injector are also good (video attached). I've checked for spark and replaced the spark plug as a precaution. The only thing I found that seems like a possible issue is when opening the air filter housing there was allot of what looks like engine oil inside which leads me to think it may have made its way through the throttle body and in to the cylinder. There is a hose that links the air box to the engine which I'm pretty is where this oil has originated from. I've used some carb + air intake cleaner to remove as much of this as I can but still nothing.

Weirdly the bike has fired up twice during my attempts to diagnose the issue however both times has died shortly after only a few cycles of the engine. (Hopefully this means it isn't a head gasket / compression issue)

Any help would be much appreciated as I really don't want to have to tear down the engine.

Thank you in advance
Morgzy
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
thoughts ...

did it fall on the left or right - I'm guessing onto the side with the airbox?

the air filter maybe too saturated with oil to allow adequate air flow.

did you mean you cleaned the throttle body or cleaned the airbox (unclear) - what precisely did you clean? If/when cleaning the throttle body did you clean the idle bypass?

a sound recording / video of trying to start it so we can hear the sound of it struggling
OP
@morgzy avatar
UTC

@morgzy avatar
UTC quote
The bike fell over on to its right hand side so not the side that the air box is on. I've cleaned out the air filter as well as attempting to start with the filter removed entirely and nothing. I cleaned out the air box and throttle body of the left over residue from the oil as best I could. As for the idle bypass I'm not exactly sure where that's located but will have another look tomorrow. I'll also take a video of it turning over.
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
Start with all of the simple things first. Do you have gas? Did the engine kill switch get flicked down? Is your battery worn out. Will it start if you give it a jump. Try holding both brake levels to start it. Is your kick stand up when you are trying? Is there anything in the exhaust pipe? Have you looked at all of your fuses? Do you have spark? Is the air filter clogged? Are you sure that you got the spark plug cap back on correctly? Is you charcoal canister filled up with fuel? Was it doing this before? What does it sound like you try to start?
OP
@morgzy avatar
UTC

@morgzy avatar
UTC quote
The starter motor turns the engine over so it's not an issue of kill switch, side stand or brake lever sensors ect. Battery is less than a year old and I've never had an issue with it but just to be sure I removed it and charged it so I know that's not the issue. There's nothing blocking the exhaust and all the fuses are good. The spark plug is new and works fine, I've tested it in the bike and got spark so HT lead and stator are good. Air filter was fouled with oil but has since been cleaned but didn't resolve issue so I'm going to order a replacement. The bike sounds like you would expect when trying to start. I've been meaning to take a video of the issue but haven't got round to it due to bad weather but will get it done this week
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
cleaned the idle bypass yet?
OP
@morgzy avatar
UTC

@morgzy avatar
UTC quote
I haven't removed the throttle body from the bike but have scrubbed it as best as possible with a toothbrush and cleaner. I don't want to take whole thing apart before posting a video incase it was something minor that I might be overlooking
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
morgzy wrote:
Hello everyone,
(...)
, it was picked up almost instantly and it seemed like there was no issues as it was riding fine for about 1km afterwards. About 10 minutes after this the bike died while the engine was idling and refused to start again.
(...)
So you rode it for like a km. But it does not take 10 minutes to drive a km. So I expect you rode the 1 km and then had it running on idle on the center stand?
And after 10 minutes idling it stopped running and refused to start.

If all that is correct then it sounds like it simply ran out of fuel. For some reason.

You do not mention any issue with the engine before the incident. Therefore for sure there is nothing fundamentaly wrong with the engine. Falling over for a motorcycle is also nothing unusual. So it will be a simple problem. Only question is what is that simple problem. Why would it run out of fuel?

On this oil in the airbox: It is normal to find some engine oil in the airbox. That hose between the engine and the airbox is the crank case ventilation and it brings a mist of oil in the airbox that condenses. If it fell to the right side I would not expect any extra engine oil flowing to the airbox.

You say the fuel pump and the injector are OK.
So, if you switch on the ignition you can hear the fuel pump running for some seconds?
OP
@morgzy avatar
UTC

@morgzy avatar
UTC quote
Yeah its exactly as you described, rode for about 1km after the fall then put the bike on main stand with the engine idling after about 10 minutes the engine died and refused to start again.

The oil in the air box was more than would be expected from regular use. If I had to guess probably around 50ml of oil that drained from the air box when the cover was removed.

Fuel pump and injectors are in working order and there is fuel in tank so don't think it's an issue on that end. (See attached video of fuel pump, not sure if it's uploaded correctly doesn't show video in preview)

Just want to say thanks to everyone who's taken their time to comment and help me diagnose the problem, appreciate you guys 💙.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
drop it on the other side and see if it fixes it

ya video didn't post. stick it on youtube and post a link instead
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
morgzy wrote:
Yeah its exactly as you described, rode for about 1km after the fall then put the bike on main stand with the engine idling after about 10 minutes the engine died and refused to start again.

The oil in the air box was more than would be expected from regular use. If I had to guess probably around 50ml of oil that drained from the air box when the cover was removed.

Fuel pump and injectors are in working order and there is fuel in tank so don't think it's an issue on that end. (See attached video of fuel pump, not sure if it's uploaded correctly doesn't show video in preview)

Just want to say thanks to everyone who's taken their time to comment and help me diagnose the problem, appreciate you guys 💙.
There is no video attached.

Off course I do not want to point to an empty tank.
But it looks like that.

If it ran for a km, that means the main injector is working. If it then ran for 10 minutes on idle, that means the idle bypass must be OK, not clogged with oil.

Are you sure the fuel pump works? Do you hear it running for a few seconds when you switch on the ignition? Stupid question but please confirm.

One more question: when did you have the air filter serviced, how many km ago?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
If it then ran for 10 minutes on idle, that means the idle bypass must be OK, not clogged with oil.
just pondering ...

not necessarily (although I'm not asserting the following is true) it could be that although the idle bypass might have been fine at start, after 10mins of running enough oil might have made it passed the filter to cause an issue.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
just pondering ...

not necessarily (although I'm not asserting the following is true) it could be that although the idle bypass might have been fine at start, after 10mins of running enough oil might have made it passed the filter to cause an issue.
Yes you are right. That is a possibility.

@ Morgzy

You wrote that you cleaned out the air box and throttle body of the left over residue from the oil as best as you could.

Does that mean there was actually some oil in the throttle body?
@scooter10s avatar
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black

Hooked
@scooter10s avatar
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black
UTC quote
OP doesn't mention their location, (hint: expressed a distance in km) so I'm thinking Europe, Canada?

If this BV350 had the US pollution control canister contraption however, couldn't a tip over result in the fuel neck overflow port seeing some gas, (similar to the troublesome BV 350 overfill and fouling of the carbon canister - issue)?

The symptoms related by OP align with my BV350 experience where even a slight fuel overfill can sometimes show up later with a stall/bad, or no start condition sometimes a 1/2 mile after the overfill, or on the next start up. Solution for me at least a couple of times, was to have the service dealer remove and or open canister and dry out interior. I'm very careful not to overfill the fuel neck.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
Could also be the cause.

It is not very reassuring that tilting a scooter to the side, which is not uncommon, could lead to this problem.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0134s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0055s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]