@olly avatar
UTC

Lurker
Lml star

Lurker
@olly avatar
Lml star
UTC quote
Hi all just had service and new throttle cable and the guy told me clutch smashed when on stand strip it back and fitted new clutch and cleaned all metal bits of engine not sure if poss that bits can get in re fit cylinder head come loose £600 what do you think bit much ?
@srd0060 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 HPE 300 tech/ 91 PX 200e/97 PX 200e

Hooked
@srd0060 avatar
2022 HPE 300 tech/ 91 PX 200e/97 PX 200e
UTC quote
Olly wrote:
Hi all just had service and new throttle cable and the guy told me clutch smashed when on stand strip it back and fitted new clutch and cleaned all metal bits of engine not sure if poss that bits can get in re fit cylinder head come loose £600 what do you think bit much ?
OMG thats a lot of money, did you ask to see the old clutch?
OP
@olly avatar
UTC

Lurker
Lml star

Lurker
@olly avatar
Lml star
UTC quote
Picking it up Saturday got pic and parts they took off I was thinking £400🤷🏻‍♂️
UTC

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E
UTC quote
that made ZERO sense. But sounds like alot of dough for what sounds like something minor.
@robbie_11 avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX

Hooked
@robbie_11 avatar
PX
UTC quote
Olly wrote:
I also cant make sense of what your trying to say?
Can you try explaining again?
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Let me see if I can translate:

Olly took the scoot in for service and a new throttle cable …

The mechanic said his clutch was bad …

The mechanic replaced the clutch and cleaned metal bits out of the case.

The mechanic also apparently tightened up the cylinder head.

Olly was charged £600 and wonders if that's fair.
@spacecat avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa Primavera 1974

Hooked
@spacecat avatar
Vespa Primavera 1974
UTC quote
That's about 750 USD$
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S
UTC quote
Can you get a breakdown of the costs. parts, number of hours, hourly rate?
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
UTC quote
Clutch probably 'smashed' during the wheelie check while onthe test ride!
@shipscat avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 125 vnb1t

Hooked
@shipscat avatar
vespa 125 vnb1t
UTC quote
Olly wrote:

you should try and join a local scooter club there are usually guys that have a ton of knowledge repairing and fixing them , i don't know all the details of your bill but it sounds like had your pants pulled down there fella
or if you have some space at your house/garage/shed and some time and don't mind getting your hands dirty get yourself some tools and learn to fix it yourself there's an encyclopedia of knowledge on this excellent forum with people willing to help and walk you through with pretty much what ever you need
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
UTC quote
Not sure what "clutch smashed" means. Just worn out or something broke? What does the stand have to do with it? Is it a 2T or 4T? I have a 2009 Genuine Stella 2T (same as an LML Star) that I bought new. It now has 21,000 miles on it. Still has the original clutch. I have a rebuilt (with some high dollar parts, including a big bore kit) Vespa engine that was built by a local vintage Vespa shop ready to go in it when the original engine ever wears out.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

75 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I agree with the other posters on here that, even assuming worst-case scenario (destroyed clutch), that doesn't make sense.

A new stock 7-spring clutch is 52 GBP on Beedspeed. Pressure plate and plunger are another 5 GBP.

So call it 60 GBP of parts. A clutch swap takes 20-30 minutes, plus maybe another 10 minutes to adjust it. Use the rest of the hour to pull the shroud, tighten the head nuts, and reinstall, then take a quick test ride.

That's still 540 GBP for an hour of labor! Wha? emoticon

Which is a lot of words to say, Yes, you were ripped off.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I agree with the other posters on here that, even assuming worst-case scenario (destroyed clutch), that doesn't make sense.

A new stock 7-spring clutch is 52 GBP on Beedspeed. Pressure plate and plunger are another 5 GBP.

So call it 60 GBP of parts. A clutch swap takes 20-30 minutes, plus maybe another 10 minutes to adjust it. Use the rest of the hour to pull the shroud, tighten the head nuts, and reinstall, then take a quick test ride.

That's still 540 GBP for an hour of labor! Wha? emoticon

Which is a lot of words to say, Yes, you were ripped off.
OP says service, a throttle cable, clutch and head refit/replacement?? So inspection and service- probably an hour there @ labor rate. Then throttle cable replacement another hour, maybe 1.5? Then clutch install, testing and tidy- 1.5 there?

So maybe 4 hours of service plus parts, hazardous waste disposal fees (if any), taxes, random fees, storage charges (maybe) for £600. Seems plausible
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
OP says service, a throttle cable, clutch and head refit/replacement?? So inspection and service- probably an hour there @ labor rate. Then throttle cable replacement another hour, maybe 1.5? Then clutch install, testing and tidy- 1.5 there?

So maybe 4 hours of service plus parts, hazardous waste disposal fees (if any), taxes, random fees, storage charges (maybe) for £600. Seems plausible
Okay...forgot about the throttle cable replacement, but that's well under an hour, especially with the split headset on an LML. I'm also curious what the original symptom was. Throttle cables basically never wear out. There's just not enough load on them.

At this point, I think I'm with Matchless that we need to see the invoice to understand what did or didn't go on here. That still feels like a lot of labor to me.

What's the typical UK labor rate for vintage scooter work, btw?

I did a little googling, and found a place in Manchester (trying to avoid London price inflation) that list fixed service prices.

While they don't list an hourly service rate, their full 30km rebuild is only 450 GBP, all in.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0123s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]