@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I've lost count of the number of times I've encountered this - but this one was particularly galling. The lady in question had replaced the battery a year ago (I did the replacement). Then, after riding only a few miles, she had to have another knee surgery, and put the battery on a 'maintainer'. The instructions said it was OK to leave it permanently connected, so she did, despite my having previously warned her.

Needless to say, today I was called to help as she wanted to try riding again, and the LX wouldn't start. The battery read fine, 13V, but as soon as the ignition was turned on, that fell to 11.2V. Yup, buggered.

I replaced it with one of my spares, and assured her that it wasn't really necessary to use a maintainer at all with a good battery - this one would last 6 months quite happily. Then if anxious, she could put it on the maintainer FOR 24 HOURS MAXIMUM. As soon as the maintainer says "OK", it'd be good for another 6 months.

She'd paid $75 at Batteries plus for this not-so-good battery - it said AGM, but it was one that had acid added, not sealed at all.

I took $40 - $35 for the battery from Amazon, $5 for 5 minutes of my time.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I'm not positive that this will help, but I have a truck that, left idle, eats batteries. I can't tell you how many times I've replaced the battery -- at some point they get low for long enough that they become damaged and won't take a charge any more.

I bought this Noco 5 charger with a battery repair feature a bit over a year ago, and have managed to resuscitate the truck battery twice so far. I'm quite happy with it.

As a bonus, it's a nice compact little device.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS5-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W8KJH44/

I figure it's just about paid for itself at this point.

(And yes, I should really drive the truck more often -- but I don't have many reasons to, and Patrick probably puts more miles on it per year than I do).
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The really clever ones with 'battery repair' really do work - the Optimate is a good example. However, don't leave one of those on for too long, batteries really don't appreciate being left on even a very low charge for long.
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
UTC quote
Interesting.

I have a Battery Tender that hasn't given me trouble when attached for a long haul.

I purchased a Mega Boost with a Cycle Gear coupon and it killed my battery after what seemed like a reasonable time (maybe two weeks) away from the bike.

Assuming it was just a coincidence, I replaced the battery and then let a neighbor use the Mega Boost while he was away on vacation. He too came back to a dead battery.

The battery and tender companies are in cahoots!
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
Did you do the setup of the failed battery yourself?

If not, how do you know the battery was not set up poorly, and that was the cause of the decreased lifespan, rather than the maintainer?

My batteries are on maintainers 24/7/365 unless they're on the road. Half dozen bikes. Only issue experienced this year was with was a lithium battery who's capacitor failed. It was a manufacturing issue replaced under warranty.
@ironfoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250 - sold

Molto Verboso
@ironfoot avatar
'07 GTS 250 - sold
UTC quote
Hold on a sec. Buggered? I thought the consensus was for buggerized in the US.

This is getting confusing.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Ironfoot wrote:
Hold on a sec. Buggered? I thought the consensus was for buggerized in the US.

This is getting confusing.
They're allowed to use that word in the US?

@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I'm gonna be in SF again for a couple weeks starting this weekend. My battery has been disconnected for 4 months. It's gotten daily use for most of the last 3.5 years, modulo the other multi-month international tour I took in 2021.

I had a friend watching it then. He tried charging it and said the battery was just about full when I came back. It's in a storage unit now. Curious to see if it'll start enough for me to ride it on Sunday, or if I'm gonna have to borrow a charger or something. Really hoping I don't have to replace the battery, since I'm likely to store it for another long spell a few weeks later.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
Lead batteries lose about 4% charge a week - so I've always assumed they must be charged or topped up every 5 weeks or so to prevent damage.

I'm surprised lithium batteries aren't fitted to more vehicles as standard. Even Tesla's and the Vespa Elettrica have a separate 12v lead acid battery which must work or the vehicle won't turn on!

Lithium barely discharges when left and can be used right the way down to around 5% remaining, whereas lead tends to go bad when the charge drops under 50%.
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Yes. Purchased from Batteries Plus, topped up before installation and first use.
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
Lead batteries lose about 4% charge a week - so I've always assumed they must be charged or topped up every 5 weeks or so to prevent damage.

I'm surprised lithium batteries aren't fitted to more vehicles as standard. Even Tesla's and the Vespa Elettrica have a separate 12v lead acid battery which must work or the vehicle won't turn on!

Lithium barely discharges when left and can be used right the way down to around 5% remaining, whereas lead tends to go bad when the charge drops under 50%.
I'd be installing LFP batteries every time - the performance is just what's needed for a motorcycle - but the price would have to come down to make it worthwhile. I can buy three LA batteries for the price of the cheapest LFP I can easily find (Walmart, $99). Close, but not close enough.
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
UTC quote
I think Batteries Plus may be the problem. I've had nothing but problems with their batteries. They just don't last. I stopped buying them. I bought a few because there is a Batteries Plus half a mile from my house. I have 6 bikes and 2 cars connected to battery maintainers, 24/7 except when they are being ridden/driven. I've been doing that for 20+ years. Only problems I've had were with batteries from Batteries Plus. IMO, Yuasa SLA or AGM batteries are the best. Those are both lead acid batteries. I have a 2016 Honda Rebel 250 I bought new in 2016, mostly as a collector's item, and to ride when I am no longer able to ride larger bikes. It came with a sealed Yuasa battery in it. I have only put 1467 miles on it in seven years. It is living room kept, with TruFuel in the tank and a battery maintainer on it. I do start it up, warm it up, and ride it around the block every few weeks. I keep expecting the battery to fail, but so far it hasn't.
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
LX150
UTC quote
adri wrote:

If not, how do you know the battery was not set up poorly, and that was the cause of the decreased lifespan, rather than the maintainer?

My batteries are on maintainers 24/7/365 unless they're on the road. Half dozen bikes. Only issue experienced this year was with was a lithium battery who's capacitor failed. It was a manufacturing issue replaced under warranty.
Ditto. I've had an old fashioned Yuasa on a cheap Battery Tender Jr for nine years! I've never had a problem, ever, with a Battery Tender. Now that's hardly a scientific study, having only a sample size of about ten vehicles, but I see no reason to stop using them. They turn themselves off most of the time.
@rmwill avatar
UTC

Hooked
Too Many Bikes!

Hooked
@rmwill avatar
Too Many Bikes!
UTC quote
Problem is the garbage Chinese battery, not the maintainer.
@marret avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTS300 ABS

Hooked
@marret avatar
2016 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
And there are far more reports of bad batteries without maintainers than with.

I am also in the maintainer camp, 20 plus years, and often use a timer so it isn't on all the time with normal battery tender type maintainer devices. I did buy a slightly better one for the mower that I leave on all the time because of the sequence it goes through when it is attached.
@dougw avatar
UTC

Hooked
1974 Rally200, 2007 GTS250ie

Hooked
@dougw avatar
1974 Rally200, 2007 GTS250ie
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:

OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
rmwill wrote:
Problem is the garbage Chinese battery, not the maintainer.
This was a high-end battery, not Battery Plus's cheapest, made in Vietnam - but that should make no difference. Why you would sneer at Chinese or other Asian suppliers I don't know - would you sneer at anything not made in the USA? If so, don't you dare buy anything British, French, German or Italian.

I'll add I've had great longevity from cheapo Asian batteries which currently retail for ~$35. One is still going strong 5 years after being installed.
@rmwill avatar
UTC

Hooked
Too Many Bikes!

Hooked
@rmwill avatar
Too Many Bikes!
UTC quote
Because its a very well known fact that cheap batteries from China, which this one is also (Vietnam origin labeling is the way to skirt tariffs by the Chinese manufacturers) are garbage. Quality Yuasa batteries, which are OEM Piaggio, are only made in Japan and Taiwan and cost around $100. This is not news. This is not an anti Asian rant.
jimc wrote:
This was a high-end battery, not Battery Plus's cheapest, made in Vietnam - but that should make no difference. Why you would sneer at Chinese or other Asian suppliers I don't know - would you sneer at anything not made in the USA? If so, don't you dare buy anything British, French, German or Italian.

I'll add I've had great longevity from cheapo Asian batteries which currently retail for ~$35. One is still going strong 5 years after being installed.
@chrisfromcle avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102

Hooked
@chrisfromcle avatar
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102
UTC quote
You know, now that "smart" electrical devices are reasonable in price, you can plug your maintainer into a smart outlet and program whatever on/off cycle you want on the outlet. Best of both worlds.

This seems to work for me.

Chris from CLE
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Some maintainers will draw some current even when switched off. Yes, there should be a 'stupid boy' diode in the way, but the cheaper ones don't seem to.
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
UTC quote
ChrisFromCLE wrote:
You know, now that "smart" electrical devices are reasonable in price, you can plug your maintainer into a smart outlet and program whatever on/off cycle you want on the outlet. Best of both worlds.

This seems to work for me.

Chris from CLE
I do exactly this for a tractor, a truck & 2 scooters with Kasa smart plugs. They are programmed to turn on once every week.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
ChrisFromCLE wrote:
This is an excellent idea.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
rmwill wrote:
Because its a very well known fact that cheap batteries from China, which this one is also (Vietnam origin labeling is the way to skirt tariffs by the Chinese manufacturers) are garbage. Quality Yuasa batteries, which are OEM Piaggio, are only made in Japan and Taiwan and cost around $100. This is not news. This is not an anti Asian rant.
re: manufacturing of yuasa, do you have a source on that?
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
LX150
UTC quote
My latest Yuasa battery is made in my state of PA, according to the writing on it. Not sure all the places they're made.
@rmwill avatar
UTC

Hooked
Too Many Bikes!

Hooked
@rmwill avatar
Too Many Bikes!
UTC quote
The PA plant is East Penn Mfg. AKA Deka. I was not aware that Yuasa is having them make some batteries. They make all of the OEM batteries for Harley-Davidson, and they are a fine product. I got 11 years out of my last Deka battery on my Sportster. It was an AGM.

Is yours an AGM or lead acid? The Yuasa lead acid I installed this weekend was made in Taiwan.
JenniferJupiter wrote:
My latest Yuasa battery is made in my state of PA, according to the writing on it. Not sure all the places they're made.
@rmwill avatar
UTC

Hooked
Too Many Bikes!

Hooked
@rmwill avatar
Too Many Bikes!
UTC quote
Yes, the packaging and the enclosed data sheet.
greasy125 wrote:
re: manufacturing of yuasa, do you have a source on that?
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I've lost count of the number of times I've encountered this - but this one was particularly galling. The lady in question had replaced the battery a year ago (I did the replacement). Then, after riding only a few miles, she had to have another knee surgery, and put the battery on a 'maintainer'. The instructions said it was OK to leave it permanently connected, so she did, despite my having previously warned her.

Needless to say, today I was called to help as she wanted to try riding again, and the LX wouldn't start. The battery read fine, 13V, but as soon as the ignition was turned on, that fell to 11.2V. Yup, buggered.

I replaced it with one of my spares, and assured her that it wasn't really necessary to use a maintainer at all with a good battery - this one would last 6 months quite happily. Then if anxious, she could put it on the maintainer FOR 24 HOURS MAXIMUM. As soon as the maintainer says "OK", it'd be good for another 6 months.

She'd paid $75 at Batteries plus for this not-so-good battery - it said AGM, but it was one that had acid added, not sealed at all.

I took $40 - $35 for the battery from Amazon, $5 for 5 minutes of my time.
What you experience with maintainers is a surprise to me.

I have in my BV 300 a Yuasa battery and in winter I use a CTEK trickle charger that is permanently connected for weeks. It is a CTEK MXS 5.0. I use it since 2021 and so far no issue with the battery, the contrary actually. (I assume a trickle charger is the same as a maintainer)

I have the idea that although my battery is 11 year old the trickle charger keeps it in very good shape. And that is why I started using the CTEK the whole year around.
UTC

Sei Giorni (2022)

Sei Giorni (2022)
UTC quote
I have used CTEK chargers for years. They are expensive, but don't wreck batteries. They also have a "recondition" feature which adds a deep discharge cycle to keep the plates clean. Scooters have tiny batteries and tend to be used for short trips, so the the battery often doesn't get to a full charge. Over time, that can reduce its life and capacity.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
CTEK states it reconditions a battery. Can be, or maybe it is only promo talk, I do not know. But fact is my battery is in good condition.
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
I kept my boat batteries, house and start bank, connected to a maintainer for 8 years. The starts were original, Costco's finest, and I had to replace the house bank because of low water during Covid quarantine. Otherwise, maintainers are good. Many maintainers will do a de-sulphate cycle which involves about 16 volts for a few hours, basically boiling the battery. This is fine and can be done about every 6 months or so but will result in some battery acid vapour and a bunch of H2 being emitted and therefore should be done outside the bike and your garage. It was necessary on my boat but probably overkill for a scoot battery. Also, a lead-acid battery that is allowed to drop below 65% and/or the water drop below the tops of the plates, is toast. If it doesn't croak immediately it will leave you stranded. Start batteries only use a tiny amount of current to start your scoot and that is largely done with "top-charge." You really should not allow the start battery to run accessories for very long as you do not want to deplete this top charge. If you routinely do power your lights etc., you might be better off with a deep cycle battery, which can tolerate discharge much better than a start battery.
@jroberts86 avatar
UTC

GS160 GL150 GT200 P200E

@jroberts86 avatar
GS160 GL150 GT200 P200E
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
CTEK states it reconditions a battery. Can be, or maybe it is only promo talk, I do not know. But fact is my battery is in good condition.
I use the CTEK on several vehicles to good effect. I have not experienced the issues the OP has highlighted. I believe that it can bring a battery 'back', if you use the correct setting. And, the correct setting for maintaining. I have not had to replace batteries in any vehicle for many years now. The Battery Tenders do go bad. When they do, hopefully you recognize it and replace the tender before the battery is toast.

Bottom line, I leave the CTEk (and the tender) on for long periods and have had no ill effect.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
Battery Tender has a warning about leaving a battery charger connected for months.

"MONITORING SEALED & NON-SEALED BATTERIES: When leaving a
battery charger connected to either a sealed (AGM or GEL) or non-sealed
(flooded battery) for extended periods of time (weeks, months, etc.),
periodically check the battery to see if it is unusually warm. This is an
indication that the battery may have a weak cell and that it could go into a
thermal runaway condition. If the battery releases an excessive amount of gas
or if the battery gets hotter than 130°F (55°C) during charging, disconnect the
charger and allow the battery to cool."
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
rmwill wrote:
Because its a very well known fact that cheap batteries from China, which this one is also (Vietnam origin labeling is the way to skirt tariffs by the Chinese manufacturers) are garbage.
Well known by whom, and what is the evidence?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
I just saw that Malossi sells a battery charger & maintainer. I wonder how many more HP it would give ROFL emoticon

https://www.malossistore.asia/en/battery-charger-smart-battery-charge-mantainer-6v12v-1a-for-batteries-from-2-to-20ah-4419240-P
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0221s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]