@popgunandy avatar
UTC

Hooked
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100

Hooked
@popgunandy avatar
UTC quote
79 P200 - Running great with no electrical issues until parked a year ago due to health issues. Dead battery successfully charged and over a week now has lost no charge and the scooter runs as before, except...

The normal DC stuff does not operate when the key is on - horn, turn signals, taillight. When operating the scooter, I've got a taillight, but nothing else, and I see occasional flashes in the turn signal indicator, but no turn signal operation. Responses to engine RPMs are really exaggerated.

Connections including ground wires are all good so now we're into replacing regulators, flasher, switches, CDI. Where would you start in order of likelihood? I was surprised anything would be affected by the battery draining over time, since the battery itself is taking and holding a charge.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I'd start with checking the fuse first. Next i would triple check for a bad ground (either on your battery or the main frame ground). After that i'd replace your successfully charged dead battery with a brand new battery.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I'd start with checking the fuse first. Next i would triple check for a bad ground (either on your battery or the main frame ground). After that i'd replace your successfully charged dead battery with a brand new battery.
+1 on this!
OP
@popgunandy avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@popgunandy avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Fuse is fine...replaced it anyway and still fine.

So a battery that receives and holds a charge can still be the issue? On the surface that doesn't make sense to me.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Popgunandy wrote:
So a battery that receives and holds a charge can still be the issue? On the surface that doesn't make sense to me.
Yes, have you actually tested the battery under load? Put a volt meter across the battery and activate one of the loads such as the horn and see what the voltage across the battery does.
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
qascooter wrote:
+1 on this!
+ 2; and your CDI has nothing to do with charging the battery. Also, it's extremely unlikely that your regulator died just by the scooter sitting unused.
The Vespa charging system, even when brand new, does not do the best job, because it does not provide a steady level of charge. It tends to overcharge and undercharge at random, instead of responding continuously to peak demand.

In other words, it is adequate for the electrical needs when working properly, but not optimal. So, the batteries on Vespas don't last as long as they do on motorcycles, which are equipped with alternators and field coils, full wave rectifiers and regulators. As stated above, my money is on a new, properly pre-charged battery for all the components that need DC power.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Popgunandy wrote:
Fuse is fine...replaced it anyway and still fine.

A battery has capacity, think of a 5 amp hour battery as a 5 gallon bucket. Over time a battery loses capacity and no longer holds 5 amps, it could be 1 amp or 0.5 amps. A standard battery charger doesn't know the difference. All it knows is it reached an end charging voltage of 14.7 volts, is fully charged and turned off. I just replaced battery in my motorcycle, its a 20 amp hour battery. Tested with a capacity tester, it had 0.64 amps or about 0.64 gallon of capacity fully charged out of a possible 20 gallons when new.

One way you can tell is if a 5 amp hour battery is dead and you charge it with a 1 amp hour charger it should take 5 hours. If it takes 5 minutes instead battery is bad.

As others have mentioned hook up a meter measure DC volts, turn on a load. You may see voltage drop to something less than 12 volts.

I'm surprised you don't get anything while running, would have thought you would get voltage from stator to run electronics.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
It feels like a ground issue. I'd clean up the ground connection by the battery tray.

Also, I use a 12v, 8ah sealed battery for medical equipment. I had a bunch around so changed the connections to the battery to the spade connector and I haven't had any issues since.

Just throwing out some ideas...
OP
@popgunandy avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@popgunandy avatar
UTC quote
New battery resolved the issue (yay Cycle Gear!)...but no turn signals, which is easy enough to track down.

Appreciated the tips I got here.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0099s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]