OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
My friend Andy has apparently gotten over his GTS reliablity concerns and rode his scooter from Central Pennsylvania to New York to see a Yankees game.

For anyone wondering what it's like to ride the GTS on interstate highways, in city traffic, splitting lanes, tunnels, and the works, his video gives a fine picture of the experience.

It's also made me feel old and out of step. I think my days of riding like that are behind me...

https://youtu.be/GPTOs0gckzs
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
That was a hoot, thank you!
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Nice video. Shout out to your friend Andy. I often ride from NYC to Eastern Pennsylvania, also frequently on a Vespa.
UTC

Lurker
mp3 500 Piaggio 2021

Lurker
mp3 500 Piaggio 2021
UTC quote
Great video! I know the city pretty good, it was enjoyable seeing it from a scooter view. I m in Florida now and just bought a very top heavy Piaggio 500 2021 model. Learning to ride it.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
Wow!
For one who only rides rural Ohio - that video was a real treat!
Thanks for sharing.
O.S.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
Very nice to see someone document riding in NYC. Living here and doing the things that Andy was doing etc, one takes it for granted.
Sad that Andy did not share the horrible roads we have to ride on ...
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
It's also made me feel old and out of step. I think my days of riding like that are behind me...
I think I am a member of that club too, Steve. Riding on the Interstate roads around Charlotte ( especilly during rush hour) is like playing Russian Rolette - sooner or later you re going to get nailed by a wanna be NASCAR cager. Not that I can't do it, I just don't want to anymore. I thank God every morning that I am still here, retired and don't have to drive in that daily mess anymore.
Thanks for video, cool ride and nicely edited.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I still enjoy riding anywhere, be it city, country or highway.

On the way to pick up my daughter in Brooklyn a few years ago I rode through the Holland Tunnel, then across Manhattan to Brooklyn.

Then back that way with her on the back.

It was mostly stopping at red lights so not very interesting.

Still fun.

Bill
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Good for you, Bill. I'm glad you still enjoy this type of riding. Other than the craziness, I guess I don't find big city riding all that interesting.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Good for you, Bill. I'm glad you still enjoy this type of riding. Other than the craziness, I guess I don't find big city riding all that interesting.
Big city riding isn't about having fun, for most of us living in big cities riding a PTW is more a convenience for commuting. I don't think I have gone out for a ride in the city just for the sake of riding, especially the last 15 years NYC roads have become worse and since the pandemic, people are more on edge than I have ever witnessed. I find that I am riding my Vespa with a lot more caution as I don't wish to be a victim of random acts of violence.
I will say this that riding in big cities makes one be a better rider in general as one is alert to all sorts of possibilities in traffic or road conditions.
As much as I dislike the riding conditions, I am not sure I could live long term in the serene cool locales that other members live at and share beautiful pictures here.
Some of us seem to need the chaos and the cacophony of big cities to sustain ourselves..
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
Nice video. For me as a European it is surprizing how traffic over there is so similar to traffic over here. I could make a video travelling through Brussels and that would look very alike.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:
Big city riding isn't about having fun, for most of us living in big cities riding a PTW is more a convenience for commuting. I don't think I have gone out for a ride in the city just for the sake of riding, especially the last 15 years NYC roads have become worse and since the pandemic, people are more on edge than I have ever witnessed. I find that I am riding my Vespa with a lot more caution as I don't wish to be a victim of random acts of violence.
I will say this that riding in big cities makes one be a better rider in general as one is alert to all sorts of possibilities in traffic or road conditions.
The only reason I ride is that is so much fun.

Wherever I go.

As soon as I don't enjoy it, I will quit riding.

Bill
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
Nice video. For me as a European it is surprizing how traffic over there is so similar to traffic over here. I could make a video travelling through Brussels and that would look very alike.
Wait until you see a video of traffic from Friday rush hour going into the tunnels. You would see behavior quiet unlike from what you are likely to experience in Brussels.

Last Friday as I was leaving Manhattan towards New Jersey I saw people going against the direction of traffic, others that treat red lights as not even a suggestion to slow down, motorcycles without plates and those riding on sidewalks at regular road speeds. All in one short stretch of crossing Manhattan from Brooklyn to New Jersey. Possibly as they say: "Only in New York!"
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
watch Itchy Boots latest episode from 10:00 to get a more crazy traffic and lane splitting view

@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
I think I am a member of that club too, Steve. Riding on the Interstate roads around Charlotte ( especilly during rush hour) is like playing Russian Rolette - sooner or later you re going to get nailed by a wanna be NASCAR cager. Not that I can't do it, I just don't want to anymore. I thank God every morning that I am still here, retired and don't have to drive in that daily mess anymore.
Thanks for video, cool ride and nicely edited.
Ironically, it's on the big slabs in these parts where I've felt safest: all three instances of my getting nailed by a car happened on local roads and streets. I even feel marginally safer on the BQE in Brooklyn (well, not at night, maybe) than I've felt rolling though the towns here in Joisey. That said, tooling in or between the boroughs isn't for the inexperienced and/or feint-of-heart - between the categorically-crappy pavement and the rules-only-apply-to-others attitude that prevails, you can't navigate Gotham with one eye open.

But I dig riding there, and look forward to rolling along those streets again before too long.
Chinatown, last July: Chaos, yes, but I could dig it.
Chinatown, last July: Chaos, yes, but I could dig it.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Definitely charming to ride around the city for me as long as I don't have to do the rush hour traffic hustle. And yeah, intersections are the worse place to be, 35% of scoot accidents happen there. Around here, it is common for 2 or 3 cars to pass thru after the light has turned red because there is a few seconds before the perpendicular street light turns green. And they know that and take advantage of it.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
And yes, you will ride again Amateriat. No doubt in my mind. Good man.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Definitely charming to ride around the city for me as long as I don't have to do the rush hour traffic hustle. And yeah, intersections are the worse place to be, 35% of scoot accidents happen there. Around here, it is common for 2 or 3 cars to pass thru after the light has turned red because there is a few seconds before the perpendicular street light turns green. And they know that and take advantage of it.
I was riding my bicycle in Brooklyn back in 2012, There was a school bus parked on the bike lane very close to the intersection. So I went to the middle where the double yellow lines are and when the light turned red( as you state it is red for both streets have red for a few seconds) I wanted to get a jump start and get out of the median, only a person in a car on the other side was getting through on red as well, they managed to clip my front tire which made me fly up in the air and fall on my head and then side, luckily my helmet saved my bacon, ended up with just 4 broken ribs, a torn shoulder ligament and a punctured lung.
When you are at a intersection, you try and get to the front, then you try to get a head start and leave as soon as the light turns green cuz if you don't someone behind you is going to be upset and may even tap you while you are hoping nobody on the other side is jumping the lights in that split second, it is a catch22 situation do you take the quick start and get ahead and risk getting side swiped by someone not obeying the rules or do you wait and deal with a bunch of angry honking people who just need to get 1 car ahead & feel good about themselves. Thats how it is a lot of times...
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I still enjoy riding anywhere, be it city, country or highway.

You're a maniac, Bill Razz emoticon

I have to admit I don't willingly choose to ride in cities, but when I have, I've loved it too. Different scenery, different challenges. Yes, I generally prefer having more control over my safety and riding choices, but it's all good. FWIW I enjoy bridges and other unique riding challenges, like gravel (I seem to have a reputation there ). I do feel my age at times, but riding seems to dial that back a bit. I'm aware that reflexes, strength and all that aren't what they were a decade ago when I started riding, but not bad, either.... Scooter emoticon
@tinddu avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2022 gts 300 touring

Enthusiast
@tinddu avatar
2022 gts 300 touring
UTC quote
i wish i was there !
what a nice trip.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Ironically, it's on the big slabs in these parts where I've felt safest: all three instances of my getting nailed by a car happened on local roads and streets. I even feel marginally safer on the BQE in Brooklyn (well, not at night, maybe) than I've felt rolling though the towns here in Joisey. That said, tooling in or between the boroughs isn't for the inexperienced and/or feint-of-heart - between the categorically-crappy pavement and the rules-only-apply-to-others attitude that prevails, you can't navigate Gotham with one eye open.

But I dig riding there, and look forward to rolling along those streets again before too long.
Yeah, riding in New York City is awesome and I enjoy it too. It can be rough, but then it feels also much rewarding if you make it through to your destination. 😀

Speaking of big slabs around here. A night time ride on the Bruckner Expwy last year was one of the most adrenaline rich experiences I ever had. It's a lawless place at a furious speed. Though yes, it can feel safer than riding through many other places.

Hoping to see you back on the streets of Gotham sooner than later!
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Took the GTS on the highway last night just for fun. Lane split every day just to get where to be.

"Interstate, Bridges, and Lane Splitting"

Those are literally the only options (other than sit in traffic) when we live in a city
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
If NY city roads and drivers are worse now than years ago I can only wonder how much shorter city residents life spans are compared to other major cities. It was nuts in the sixties and gradually worsened as the years passed by. I left the area 30 years ago and hope to never travel the city roads again.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
frank thomas wrote:
If NY city roads and drivers are worse now than years ago I can only wonder how much shorter city residents life spans are compared to other major cities. It was nuts in the sixties and gradually worsened as the years passed by. I left the area 30 years ago and hope to never travel the city roads again.
It's actually the opposite. Life expectancy in urban areas are about 3 years greater than those in rural areas and the divide is growing.

I sleep well knowing my mother is a 2 minute drive from an ambulance hall (public healthcare system), a 2-3 minute drive from a fire hall, and a 9 minute drive to her nearest hospital.

One of the biggest things hurting aging rural people are cardiovascular issues, where every second counts.

I took no formal riding lessons, just got on my bike I just bought and rode it home as a teenager in Toronto. If my dumb ass with no previous riding or even driving experience and underdeveloped teenage brain could figure it out, you'll probably be fine if you apply yourself a little bit. It's really not a big deal. Be defensive when you need to be, be aggressive when you need to be, that's it.

This summer I'll be riding in Rome, which everyone tells me will be chaotic... That's probably the part of my trip I'm looking forward to the most.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
adri wrote:
It's actually the opposite. Life expectancy in urban areas are about 3 years greater than those in rural areas and the divide is growing.

I sleep well knowing my mother is a 2 minute drive from an ambulance hall (public healthcare system), a 2-3 minute drive from a fire hall, and a 9 minute drive to her nearest hospital.

One of the biggest things hurting aging rural people are cardiovascular issues, where every second counts.
you do you and I will do me , what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. I do follow and agree with almost all you post, But I much prefer country living and riding over the city. Freedom to choose my desires over what others desire has served me well. Both the city and the country have their place and purpose, I can not visualize this world without both.
I took no formal riding lessons, just got on my bike I just bought and rode it home as a teenager in Toronto. If my dumb ass with no previous riding or even driving experience and underdeveloped teenage brain could figure it out, you'll probably be fine if you apply yourself a little bit. It's really not a big deal. Be defensive when you need to be, be aggressive when you need to be, that's it.

This summer I'll be riding in Rome, which everyone tells me will be chaotic... That's probably the part of my trip I'm looking forward to the most.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Oh I wasn't commenting on where I'd rather live or not live... just saw your comment on lifespans and had had a conversation about that a week ago with a friend who flies out to rural areas for work, so it came to mind.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Oh I wasn't commenting on where I'd rather live or not live... just saw your comment on lifespans and had had a conversation about that a week ago with a friend who flies out to rural areas for work, so it came to mind.
kk think we are good. Your experience with the Vespa Brand is far superior to my 6 months of Vespa ownership. I do respect what you do for those that love riding motorcycles.
@bald_wasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie

Addicted
@bald_wasp avatar
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
adri wrote:
"Interstate, Bridges, and Lane Splitting"

Would be a great back tattoo.

w.
@jmj avatar
UTC

2021 Piaggio Liberty 150

@jmj avatar
2021 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
Nice video. I'm not sure if it's the choice of clips, but (to my surprise) it seems less congested than Vancouver.
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
JmJ wrote:
Nice video. I'm not sure if it's the choice of clips, but (to my surprise) it seems less congested than Vancouver.
I felt the same -- NYC didn't look so bad in terms of traffic.

Maybe it was the sunshine...
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
I felt the same -- NYC didn't look so bad in terms of traffic.

Maybe it was the sunshine...
For more usual traffic in NYC, have a look at this clip. That doesn't look bad either, just a normal day in the city.

@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
^ This is why I recommend the small frame over the large frame to people who already have motorcycles anyway.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
For more usual traffic in NYC, have a look at this clip. That doesn't look bad either, just a normal day in the city.

Is this on a Vespa?

At least I'm sure it ain't a BMW R18 Laughing emoticon
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
Is this on a Vespa?

At least I'm sure it ain't a BMW R18 Laughing emoticon
For sure. 😀

That was filmed from a bicycle. Some of that traffic is so tight that no PTW can get through.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Good territory for the Honda Super cub, I'd bet. not much wider than many bicycles.
UTC

Lurker
Primavera 150

Lurker
Primavera 150
UTC quote
This was a great video! Inspires me to ride into NYC from central NJ. Look forward to more content! 🛵💨
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
NYC traffic is quite navigable on two wheels, I've put almost 15k miles on my Beo over the past three years commuting from the northern suburbs and it's been fun.

But I'm done commuting. A minor spill in January due to a distracted driver who changed lanes into me on a bright, warm, sunny morning led me to two months of discomfort followed by rotator cuff surgery, which is no picnic. PT starts Tuesday.

It's made me contemplate how many impaired drivers there are on NYC roads. I don't have specific reason to suspect chemical impairment in my situation, but the overwhelming presence of marijuana smoke emanating from cars all over the city is enough to keep me off the streets.

NYC is devolving back into its '80's-era lawlessness and chaos. There's still a lot to like about it but in heavy traffic I'm staying off the streets on two wheels.
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150

Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150
UTC quote
Hey there, it's been a while since I posted, but seeing the video of the ride to Yankee Stadium reminded me of my ride to and from Citi Field today, featuring the 1964 Worlds Fairgrounds in NYC.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
NYC traffic is quite navigable on two wheels, I've put almost 15k miles on my Beo over the past three years commuting from the northern suburbs and it's been fun.

But I'm done commuting. A minor spill in January due to a distracted driver who changed lanes into me on a bright, warm, sunny morning led me to two months of discomfort followed by rotator cuff surgery, which is no picnic. PT starts Tuesday.

It's made me contemplate how many impaired drivers there are on NYC roads. I don't have specific reason to suspect chemical impairment in my situation, but the overwhelming presence of marijuana smoke emanating from cars all over the city is enough to keep me off the streets.

NYC is devolving back into its '80's-era lawlessness and chaos. There's still a lot to like about it but in heavy traffic I'm staying off the streets on two wheels.
Oh hell…really sorry to hear this, Juan. Obviously I grok your take on this, having dodged my share of vehicles in Gotham on two wheels, with and without an engine (although people pay much more attention to me on the Vespa than they ever bothered to on something pedal-powered). Hope your PT goes well; I'm in my second stage of in-patient PT for about another week, then continue at home, and happily can report decent progress.
hendon wrote:
Hey there, it's been a while since I posted, but seeing the video of the ride to Yankee Stadium reminded me of my ride to and from Citi Field today, featuring the 1964 Worlds Fairgrounds in NYC.
Wow…lovely photo, and period-correct scoot to boot!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0225s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0038s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]