OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hi All! Im looking at buying my first Vespa and would like to know the right questions to ask the seller. They have a 2002 Vespa ET2 50 with only 300 miles on it. We are a 7 hour drive apart but have a relative that can drive it to me when they visit. What should I be asking the seller and what red flags should I be looking for. Thanks in advance for you insight.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Were the 300miles put on in 2002 or 2022?

Does it run?

Did it ever get a service?

Welcome to MV.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Not sure when the miles were put on but I'd guess in its early years as he said he bought it in 2004. So probably the second owner. He says in the post that it fires right up and I'll definitely ask about service and clean title. Assuming everything thing is on the up & up and clean what would be a fair price on something like this?
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Thanks for the welcome!!!...and Im in the US if that factors into pricing.
@julius_seizure avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Piaggio LT150, 2018 Liberty 150S, and Honda Monkey

Hooked
@julius_seizure avatar
UTC quote
If you have the license plate, call the DMV and ask if there is back registration penalties due. Here in California, it is super common for people to buy a scooter and then let it sit for a decade-plus in their garage. If they ignore the annual DMV fee, they will owe the maximum of 3 years of registration fees + penalties, which is always right around $300-ish for all 3 years of registration combined + around $700-ish in penalties combined = $900 to $1000 total. For 20+ year old scooters that are only worth $1000, this makes them either 1) worth parts only or 2) worth selling to a sucka. Even though the old seller incurred the penalties and back registration, the new buyer is responsible to pay those fees (in California).
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked
1952 allstate (early), 1958 allstate, 2009 S150, 2001 ET2

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
In great shape 2-3k is a fair price.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
with an ET2 condition is everything. mint, with some tasteful upgrades might get toward 3K. very presentable with fresh tires and tags around 2K.

double check for DMV back fees.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Great advice so far!

Regarding tires and belts...how many years can the rubber just be sitting around before it should be replaced. I see this as a safety issue.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Handle468Low wrote:
Great advice so far!

Regarding tires and belts...how many years can the rubber just be sitting around before it should be replaced. I see this as a safety issue.
6~7 years is generally the manufacturers/industry guideline and most generally accept and adopt that. I'm sure there will be somebody along shortly to tell you that they rode their bike with 2007 tires until they wore out and got new ones.

it's up to you to decide what level of risk is acceptable.

personally I'd change anything over that threshold. same for the belt. same for the fuel and oil lines.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
All the rubber on this scoot is almost guaranteed to be original. The tires are old but not a lot of power on a 50cc so you could leave them without replacing. All the tubes inside the scooter would cost like 20 bucks to change (oil and gas lines) the belt and oil pump belt would be like 60.
If your pretty handy this replacement job would all take you a long afternoon and 150 to do without doing a tire change.
If the hoses seem bendable by hand and not too fragile, I would leave them alone. I would change the belt, oil pump belt and rollers before riding any more than a test ride.
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150
UTC quote
What is the owner asking for it? Does it have dents and scratches? Where are you located? I just sold two pristine ET 4s for $5000.00 for the pair.
@julius_seizure avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@julius_seizure avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
it's up to you to decide what level of risk is acceptable.
I'm a licensed skydiver and rock climber and enjoy and seek out high risk activities. I personally would not drive on 21 year old tires unless I keep the speed at human jogging speed and be prepared for a sudden tire failure.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
https://www.michelinman.com/motorcycle/tips-and-advice/advice-motorbike/when-should-i-change-my-motorbike-tyres

As a precaution, all tires that have not been replaced after ten years should be changed, even if they appear to be in a generally good condition and have not reached their tread wear limit.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0144s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0064s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]