UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I'm currently awaiting an order of lint-free archival gloves to arrive so I can handle the negatives without greasing them up too much.
Reading the whole thread I got stuck on this. If I were in your place, I'd have sourced a shop selling such gloves and I'd have taken one of those scooters to ride over there and once there, I might have had the idea that I really don't need more stuff to handle the stuff I don't need. In the end I would probably have been one memorable ride richer.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
Reading the whole thread I got stuck on this. If I were in your place, I'd have sourced a shop selling such gloves and I'd have taken one of those scooters to ride over there and once there, I might have had the idea that I really don't need more stuff to handle the stuff I don't need. In the end I would probably have been one memorable ride richer.
Oliver to the rescue!
@ks7877 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@ks7877 avatar
UTC quote
Ironfoot wrote:
I'm just gonna say it:

YARDSALE
ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon

I'm in!
YARDSALE
@ks7877 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@ks7877 avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
...Are the sentimental and irreplaceable things even worth consideration, given my age and lack of progeny?
For me, the answer is a resounding YES, regardless of age and/or progeny. Marie Kondo says to keep the things that spark joy. Even the Swedish Death Cleanse says to keep mementos.
As a hoarder of sentimental things, the lesson I need to learn is how to reasonably pare them down. The facet of the process that continues to gnaw at me is, again, the WHY. Why do these items hold value to me (and probably no other person) and why does the next generation give them no value at all? Figuring that out will take me longer than cleaning out the garage.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Tools. Keep the tools. They can hang around unused year after year, but the moment you get rid of them you'll need them to adjust something.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Mrs. mpfrank and I are in the process of having an ADU built for us on our property. It has roughly half the square footage of our current home. We are going to move into it, and have our daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter move into the main house.

We have a lot of stuff, especially art and books. But also a lot of other stuff - including photos that go back to the 1960s.

So we have been in the process of letting go of stuff in earnest for a year or so.

It seems to happen in waves: Get rid of some apparel. Get rid of some books. Get rid of some art supplies. Get rid of some entertaining stuff. Get rid of some furnishings. Etc. Repeat.

A while back we instituted two rules for buying new things. (1) For each new thing we get, a like article has to go. (2) To get something new, we have to love it or need it. I think that similar rules can apply to getting rid of old stuff.

Like others here, I have thought about what I would miss if the house burned down. I am sure that I would miss a lot of the items, but I'm equally sure that my life would be just fine without them - maybe even better. Most of what I enjoy using is replaceable anyway.

It is a joy to find someone who really does appreciate something that we are looking to give away. It will still be useful and it will make them happy. I have a large library of science fiction books that goes back 60 years. I have culled them by several hundred once, and I am doing it again. I am getting rid of all the paperbacks, but the thought of them just going into a dumpster does not make me happy. I thought of Goodwill, as they do resell books.

Then, I thought of a friend of my older daughter who is also an avid sci-fi fan and has set up a free "take a book - leave a book" library in front of her home. I asked her if she would be interested in my books. She is thrilled. She told me that she remembers coming to our house when she was a little girl and admiring my library. I picture her reading them, then passing them along to many others.

In terms of what I would pass on when I pass on, most of it is intangible. Love and memories for descendants and friends. A better life for many, if not most, of my patients. Parts of me living on in the work of my students and interns, which in turn affects the lives of their patients. I have been very fortunate in this regard.

Wow. I had not intended to write this much.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
ks7877 wrote:
ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon

I'm in!
YARDSALE
The summoning only works with the coloured font.
@jimjar avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 LX150ie

Hooked
@jimjar avatar
2012 LX150ie
UTC quote
I think this advice may be a little late for you, but my wife and I have a '2-year' rule. Whatever it is, if you don't use it for two years it has to go.

This rule cost me a boat, which was a shame, but it's not like I didn't have two years to find a chance to use it.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
UTC quote
I watched my father's joy when he got rid of almost everything and moved to the big city, finally living the life he'd been dreaming of instead of being chained to all that stuff that was still hanging around after my mother's passing. It's powerful stuff, letting go of the attachment.

In a weird twist of fate I made a random concession to parting with things this week. Others in my house have trouble letting go of things I've long since realized we don't need, but it's hard to convince if they aren't open to it. Years ago, I packed up 1/2 of the VHS tapes we never watch. The recordings of recordings, and stuff taped off TV, etc. I figured if nobody touched it for a year I'd just pitch it, but a year became 5, and 5 became I don't know how many more. And somehow, something overcame me on trash day and I dumped that box of useless VHS while nobody was looking. I'm not sure why this was the week, but it was overdue.

I'd love to do more of that, but it's so hard to convince some people to let go of things.
@gnees avatar
UTC

2021 GTS 300 75th

@gnees avatar
2021 GTS 300 75th
UTC quote
I just went through something like this. A couple years ago I decided to retire and move to Romania or Mexico. I was still not sure which, but have read more than once to get my possessions down to two Army duffel bags. Well with covid and the war. It changed my plans to find a small fully furnished place in Florida for now. But I went down with two duffle bags.

It has been a year here now. I haven't missed anything I have sold, trashed, or given away to family or friends. I guess I am just trying to say "You will not miss the things like you think you will".
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
Agreed in principle, but archival gloves aren't sentimental or irreplaceable. They are effectively disposable. Same for the film scanner I bought for this project -- if it's not obsolete by the time I am done, then I will sell it or give it away without hesitation.

It's the irreplaceable stuff I am struggling with. And the "why" about those object's status as "irreplaceable".
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
ks7877 wrote:
Why do these items hold value to me (and probably no other person) and why does the next generation give them no value at all? Figuring that out will take me longer than cleaning out the garage.
This.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
Tools. Keep the tools. They can hang around unused year after year, but the moment you get rid of them you'll need them to adjust something.
The tools are going to be tough in their own way. Every single tool I have is technically replaceable, but the collection of tools I have in my workshop is unique and borders on the irreplaceable (as a whole). If I liquidate my workshop, I don't think I will ever get back to the point of being as well-equipped as I am now. That's a good thing in some ways, but also something that terrifies me to no end.

The tools will probably be the last thing to go, and the hardest to part with. The reasons, though, are practical and (mostly) not sentimental.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
And I haven't even mentioned my CD collection yet.

Some years ago, in order to save space in my closet (and long after CDs had ceased to be objects that were readily accessible on a shelf) I took all of my 1200 or so CDs out of their jewel cases and put them in very nice sleeves. These sleeves are well designed and can hold both the outer jewel case liner and the inner booklet properly. They're even completely alphabetized.

Now they sit in a smaller set of boxes in my closet. And despite how much money and effort I have put into building (and maintaining) my CD collection, the whole pile is still worth exactly $0. The nice plastic boxes holding all the sleeves probably have more residual value than the CDs do.

Sigh.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
jess wrote:

Some years ago, in order to save space in my closet (and long after CDs had ceased to be objects that were readily accessible on a shelf) I took all of my 1200 or so CDs out of their jewel cases and put them in very nice sleeves. These sleeves are well designed and can hold both the outer jewel case liner and the inner booklet properly. They're even completely alphabetized.

Now they sit in a smaller set of boxes in my closet. And despite how much money and effort I have put into building (and maintaining) my CD collection, the whole pile is still worth exactly $0. The nice plastic boxes holding all the sleeves probably have more residual value than the CDs do.

Sigh.
when was the last time you actually used those CD's? or cassette tapes or albums or 8 tracks? let em go they just are taking space. just like the previous moments figurines my mom collected. let them go, hell can't even sell them in yard sales.

keep the true things that REALLY have some place special, a letter, a few pics of a personal moment, things like that. Tools most can be replaced when you get to the EU. pair it down to say a medium sized tool box.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Are the sentimental and irreplaceable things even worth consideration, given my age and lack of progeny?
If they mean something to you then they are. One of the things my husband was doing pre Covid lockdown was taking photo albums with him when he visited his mom in her assisted living. Looking at them not only brought her pleasure but also helped slow the progress of her dementia. When he was no longer able to visit and share those albums with her due to the shutdowns she rapidly deteriorated.

Scan the photos, not the negatives and load them on memory cards and pit them in a digital photo frame.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Scan the photos, not the negatives and load them on memory cards and pit them in a digital photo frame.
Why the photos and not the negatives? I'm not seeing a win with either. The effort is substantial either way.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
Mrs. Gbaby's aunt and uncle lived in Paradise, California for over 40 years, in the same house the entire time. As you probably heard, the entire town burned down in 2018 and they lost every single thing they owned, all of it, really and truly. They were in Mexico at the time and didn't even grab a few things on the way out the door. Without exaggeration, the most extreme version of what we're discussing here.

When I asked what they really missed, it was the family photos most of all.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:

Sigh.
I disagree, to a point. Mrs Syd occasionally suggest I get rid of the CDs and keep the ripped copies (that I already have). I am not sure of the "rightness" of this, but it could be an option.

And the CDs do have value. Trade them at a used music store for movies!
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
when was the last time you actually used those CD's? or cassette tapes or albums or 8 tracks? let em go they just are taking space. just like the previous moments figurines my mom collected. let them go, hell can't even sell them in yard sales.
I'm definitely not arguing in favor of keeping them. CDs are definitely obsolete. Just pointing out that parting with a substantial collection of anything is a daunting proposition.
old as dirt wrote:
keep the true things that REALLY have some place special, a letter, a few pics of a personal moment, things like that.
This is the real gist of my question: what has meaning, and why?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
And the CDs do have value. Trade them at a used music store for movies!
Is there still a market for used CDs? Pretty sure that market disappeared a decade ago.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Is there still a market for used CDs? Pretty sure that market disappeared a decade ago.
Second hand LPs are doing good, CDs are harder.

I agreed with my wife to solve this thing by buying more....two very nice, handmade wrought iron CD racks that can hold a few hundred CDs each.

Then I had to make my collections to fit into the racks.....with the exception of my opera CDs that already had a good place in the bookcase

The rest: I carried the pile to a secondhand record store that bought some, not many, a few ended up as assistant scarecrows in the garden (they shine/flash in the sun nicely, birds don't like it) and the rest I dumped away.

On the contrary to the rest of the world, I still do listen my CDs. I have a high (...well, medium, I've downgraded during years...) quality CD player, amplifier and speakers and those still take about 1/3 of my music time....1/3 goes to Spotify and the rest for radio.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
jess wrote:
flip side of the coin, cassette tapes have made a comeback!

recently sold two Kate Bush tapes for a combined £67 Wha? emoticon

ok, mainly due to Stranger Things, but the rest of my tape collection will be going up for sale soon
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Why the photos and not the negatives? I'm not seeing a win with either. The effort is substantial either way.
Primarily as photos are easier to scan and usable immediately. Plus photos it is easy to see the photo and sort into worth keeping, maybe and don't bother, than it is with negatives. With negatives you need a light box or other light source and in my case it is almost always 35mm film so I'm judging based on a small unprocessed strip where there may be several similar shots (bracketing or burst of moving subject) where in the negative it might be difficult to choose which is the "best" image. I've got a burst of cyclists near the finish of the US Pro Cycling Challenge when a stage finished in Breckenridge a few years ago. While they are all "good" action shots, one stands out as better than the rest when you see them printed. The differences at negative size are very hard to spot. I shot those on digital not film so it doesn't matter much but if I had shot those with film and was wanting to reduce the number of photos to scan/keep that us the shot that would stay while the rest of the burst and frankly 95% or more of the other photos from that shoot would easily be discarded. It might be the only one I kept because it is one I'm very pleased with and just that one shot evokes a powerful memory. If I were a bigger cycling fan there are a few others including Wiggins on the podium but that one photo would do it for me.

You mention it was a chore to match up prints to negatives and scanning the photos eliminates that step. A first pass through an archival photo box (shoebox size) can be done in a few minutes if you don't get bogged down in reminiscences. Putting aside the "maybes" and toss the rest. Move on to the next, then a few days later go back and resort the keepers and maybes. You'll probably discard more on that pass. Repeat or not depending on know many keepers you find and your tolerance for the process. I can batch feed photos with the auto loader feature of my scanner without further processing unlike scanned negatives.

The only time I would scan the negative over the print is if I thought I might want to print the photo significantly larger but in that case I'd be more likely to simply have an envelope with just those few negatives and skip scanning. Besides with newer tools like Topaz Gigapixel you can use AI to increase resolution if you do later want to print a scanned photo larger.
⚠️ Last edited by cdwise on UTC; edited 1 time
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
After having to clean out and sell (deceased) her parents house and her
never married aunt's house, my blushing bride was convinced. Everything
we owned that was non-essential must go.

Even with this thorough clean out - there still is to much. Still we
are ahead of the game. The above two projects schooled us moving
ahead on our own stuff. We used Estate sellers, yard sales, and hired
help to fill up huge dumpsters from her mom and aunts houses.

The professional estate sellers got more cash than I thought possible.
Even after their fee, we were way ahead. They held advanced private
sales, used the internet and held open house sales. We even hired
them to orchestrate throwing everything else out - took it out of our
profit. Net sum gain.

She cleaned are house out alone. Estate sellers on the above two properties.

Bob Copeland

Bob Copeland
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
While im not ready to get rid of everything I own, I am limited by the size of my garage (or in your case, suitcase/ shipping container). Posting stuff for sale is usually more of a headache than tossing it/ donating it, so in your case, go through and then toss the photos/ items you dont want. Have that carry on to other items in the house- old paint, old clothes, old shoes, old lumber? Little bit more, then a little bit more, then a little bit more.

Two weeks ago I had 2 router tables plus a router for sale for $40. Dozen inquiries, no in person visits. Lowered it to $10. Had a dozen inquiries but no one would pull the trigger for the tables. Said bring me 1 beer and its all yours. Another dozen inquiries. Finally tossed everything on Friday

"Live with less, so you can experience more"- Joe Hawley (Ex NFL player that gave away his household items to charity and moved into a van with a rescue dog)
I used to sell most of my stuff that I was getting rid of on eBay. It was great. Sometime in the last 2 years eBay has instituted new fees/payment policies that have made it worthless to sell on. I just sold an early dyna triple tree in mint condition to pay for the replacement triple tree on my sportster that I bought and had powder coated. eBay charged the buyer taxes and shipping fees. After I was done paying eBay's fees, I ended up with less than the selling cost and shipping costs, but still had to pay for shipping. Somewhere along the line they changed to screwing you out of the shipping costs that you charge and get paid for.

Its happened to me twice in the last 6 months. So I'm done with eBay in terms of selling. FB marketplace and craigslist for me.

I agree though, you really have to just be willing to dump things for practically, or actually nothing now.

This thread summarizes my mentality lately. TOO MUCH CRAP I own. I was in my garage yesterday looking at everything thinking about how much work its going to be to get rid of most of the stuff I dont need. And how I'm not going to bother trying to sell 90% of it.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Sure, that's mostly what I buy, if I can. You don't happen to have a copy of Root Boy Slim's "Root 6"?
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
Sure, that's mostly what I buy, if I can. You don't happen to have a copy of Root Boy Slim's "Root 6"?
My first though is have you looked at Amazon for a copy? If it's obscure, perhaps not, but I do still buy CDs at times, often from Amazon, but its amazing the number of used copies for sale.

I know, it's weird, Amazon automatically makes an immediate download available, but I still like having a physical object to own. Kind of like a klutzy sort of backup.
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150
UTC quote
I have been to Estate Sales nothing matters when you have moved on. Keep what is really special and sell the rest. Except your Vespas let the cock roaches pay to much for them.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
jess wrote:
there is on ebay. I sold an absolute boat load of CD's and vinyl over the summer and while I didn't get rich it was low lift for a decent amount of coin.

a few pieces of advice:
1- do the legwork. research will help you get a handle on the pricing and what's selling. it's tedious, but makes the process smoother
2- packaging/marketing. sell "the good stuff" as single items. the rest sell in batches where there's 1 good thing and 3 whatever things and it's a flat rate, like $10~15 shipped.
3- I didn't position myself as an expert, or try to overly curate any listings nor did try to "grade" the product or give superfluous details.
4- make peace with throwing out or giving away everything that doesn't sell.

on the tools, parts, shop equipment and bikes I am the worst person to possibly ask. I will do you no favors in that department.

good luck!
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I guess I should count myself lucky that I didn't start until the 90s

I put most of the negatives into what I *think* are archival sleeves in a three-ring binder. I have located the binder and done a casual inspection, and I don't think the film has merged with the plastic. Other (later) negatives are in the thin accordion sleeves that I got them back from the photo processor in -- haven't looked at a lot of those yet, but they were at least later and thus have had less time to degrade.

I'm currently awaiting an order of lint-free archival gloves to arrive so I can handle the negatives without greasing them up too much.
My photographic journey began, in earnest, in the early 70s, and I've been on something of a tear ever since (and still working with film, albeit hardly exclusively). There are three scanners at my disposal, and I've recently embarked on finally organizing my archive in somewhat-cohesive fashion. My crash in late February obviously put the brakes on that process (among lots of other stuff), but I'm already plotting just how early I can get back to that work; earliest estimate says late May. (My final surgery is tomorrow/Wednesday.)

Thing is, in an absolute sense, my photographic "memory" is probably the least-space-consuming of all my "stuff." And, between twenty years and several moves (from not much space to much more space to next-to-no-space to almost-too-much-space-for-my-own good today), I've jettisoned tons of said stuff, some with more than a little reluctance. I'm not interested in living the Trappist-monk existence - yet - but keeping the accumulation to several molehills rather than Adirondack-level is beneficial for the heart and head; I'm destined/doomed to having more cameras in my charge than I absolutely need (of course, when someone hands off a perfectly-working Hasselblad and a lens or two, you're not saying no and insisting you're a sane individual for deciding so), but they all fit on one shelf, not filling half the closet.

Meanwhile, Le Wife's younger son is moving out, and presumably dragging most of his stuff with him; at the same time, there's a metric ton of e-waste lingering in the back of the basement, and at the time of my crash I was starting an inventory of how much there was, and how many trips to the e-cycling joint we'd have to take if we packed her Honda CR-V to hr gills. That'll have to wait till June at the earliest.

Ultimately, I think it comes to taking notice of the stuff that makes you smile, and the stuff that makes you grimace (if only a little). A guy I worked for decades back said his rule was simple: if there was an unopened box from a prior move that hadn't been opened in two years, he tossed it without a second thought. I'm not nearly that cavalier, but I'm getting less picky with time.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
A lot of people want old CDs because they can sound better than the streaming and download versions. And sometimes records get remixed to make them sound "better" to contemporary listeners, for instance I heard the Pretenders song "Brass in Pocket" on the radio recently and it had been remixed into contemporary oblivion. If that was your favorite record and you didn't have it on CD or vinyl anymore, you might try to find it so I would keep the beloved stuff and sell the rest, I'll bet someone will want most of it.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Tie a length of string to each c.d and dangle from your fruit trees in Portugal to deter birds eating your apricots and pears. Include c.ds of The Byrds as a point of discussion.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Sledge wrote:
Tie a length of string to each c.d and dangle from your fruit trees in Portugal to deter birds eating your apricots and pears. Include c.ds of The Byrds as a point of discussion.
I really should go out to the shed and move three tons of stuff to get at my essential CD collection to get a picture of my copy but here's something off the inter web instead.

I'm a big fan of Apple Music but I do wonder what happens when I decide I don't want to pay my subs anymore.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
I really should go out to the shed and move three tons of stuff to get at my essential CD collection to get a picture of my copy but here's something off the inter web instead.

I'm a big fan of Apple Music but I do wonder what happens when I decide I don't want to pay my subs anymore.
Going a bit tangential here 😬, but can't help it:

This reminded me of an other album, that actually has an approriate tittle for this discussion too....

P.S. Mine is LP 😉😎
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
My first though is have you looked at Amazon for a copy? If it's obscure, perhaps not, but I do still buy CDs at times, often from Amazon, but its amazing the number of used copies for sale.

I know, it's weird, Amazon automatically makes an immediate download available, but I still like having a physical object to own. Kind of like a klutzy sort of backup.
Thanks, Fledermaus, I have. But I prefer buying locally. I'll find it too, someday. Facepalm emoticon
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
Like many of you, I did a measure of photos during the 70's with
my Pentax using a portrait lens. Shot so many in Italy (I have posted
some on this forum) that we developed slides because it was cheaper
than paper prints.

I was fortunate to have a son who knew how to digitize all of them.
I keep them all on my Flickr photo program. They are also on a thumb
drive. So, I have thrown away 20 boxes of old slides. Slight loss
of quality when digitized - but okay.

Bob Copeland
Still crappy riding weather here in Minesota.
One of the 50 year old slides from Italia - Province of Campania near Napoli
One of the 50 year old slides from Italia - Province of Campania near Napoli
@nautiker avatar
UTC

Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@nautiker avatar
'14 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
I am seriously considering a relocation back towards 'home' (Delaware/Maryland) and am trying to downsize at least somewhat. I'm looking primarily at 55+ communities, which can have surprisingly large basements/storage. So, this thread has some real resonance with me...
I'm a long time collector of audio gear and German radios, and they will, mostly, go with me, until I transition into the final living situation - I couldn't live without music. The CDs will come, too. Some speakers and larger receivers will go, as will clothes no longer worn (other than my USAF uniforms, which I can't give up). I'm downsizing, but far from dead, yet.
Will get rid of a car, many tools, books, some memories -and I'm starting that process with some trepidation...
⚠️ Last edited by Nautiker on UTC; edited 1 time
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped
UTC quote
Nautiker wrote:
I am seriously considering a relocation back towards 'home' (Delaware/Maryland) and am trying to downsize at least somewhat. I'm looking primarily at 55+ communities, which can have surprisingly large basements/storage. So, this thread has some real
I'm a long time collector of audio gear and German radios, and they will, mostly, go with me, until I transition into the final living situation - I couldn't live without music. The CDs will come, too. Some speakers and larger receivers will go, as will clothes no longer worn (other than my USAF uniforms, which I can't give up). I'm downsizing, but far from dead, yet.
Will get rid of a car, many tools, books, some memories -and I'm starting that process with some trepidation...

I moved to a 55+ community in central Virginia three years ago when I turned 55, and love it. I have a 2 1/2 car garage, of which the 1/2 car portion is used solely for my scooter collection. I literally do no exterior maintenance on my house. My HOA dues cover lawn care, snow removal, yearly power washing of my house and HVAC maintenance. It also covers exterior painting every 7 years and new roof after 15 years. Not having to do typical home ownership maintenance, leaves me more time for riding and wrenching on my scooters.

I love it here and highly recommend this type of community to anyone who hates doing exterior maintenance as much as I do.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
I'm hardly in a position to offer advice on decluttering or downsizing except for the fact I've been chasing that dream for a long time. And I have a lifetime of negatives, prints, and slides.

And of course the relative differences between my wife and I on what is important and what's just junk.

Regarding photographs and negatives -- I realize when I die they all will likely be sent to the landfill. There is no museum or University anxiously awaiting the arrival of my life's work. Some individual prints are in collections at such places but no more will be added. So I'm left with nostalgia and memory.

Memories are most important. Stuff, even the irreplaceable, are still just things. I need to be careful to not nostalgically connect myself to my dad's tools, or my grandparent's china.

Friends of ours made a decision to sell their 4 bedroom home, buy a 36 foot sailboat, and live at sea. They ultimately got rid of every bit of stuff they had collected. Family photos were put in storage and the rest given away, or sold at auction.

It was a devastating blow, like a junkie being robbed of their fix. But it passed and they felt free to live on their boat until the close proximity ended their marriage. But they were untethered from belongings.

I dream of being untethered from stuff. To live in a house empty of anything other than ourselves and our spirits. But it will take me a long time to achieve that since I can barely part with a book.

And my solution to the angst generated from the attempt? Buy more stuff...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0348s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0099s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]