OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
My 2006 GT200 had coolant in the oil (chocolate milk). Following Robot from Vespa Motorsport's great youtube videos, I replaced the head gasket and the water pump. After filling the fluids and running for a while things seemed great. I road it up and down the driveway and the oil looked clean. The coolant level did not drop. The GT sat in storage for 2 weeks and I came to change the breaks. I checked the dipstick again, and coolant gushed out of the oil tank. Fluids have been drained and oil added. I think my next idea is to take the cylinder head to a shop to see if they can pressure test it for leaks. This is the only place coolant could get to the oil, right?

Does anyone have other recommendations?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
maybe could/should have replaced the bottom gasket at the same time?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
did you also replace the base gasket and the stud o-rings that sit in the cylinder? both of those are likely points of failure as well.

I'd check the head for true as a matter of course.
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
UTC quote
I replaced the water pump on my GT200 a few years ago. I no longer remember exactly how it went. What drives the water pump? Is there a mechanical seal in the water pump that separates oil and coolant?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
I replaced the water pump on my GT200 a few years ago. I no longer remember exactly how it went. What drives the water pump? Is there a mechanical seal in the water pump that separates oil and coolant?
the water pump is stand alone and has no part in the lubrication system what so ever. the impeller is driven by the flywheel, three vulcanized studs that attach to face of it engage a "coupler wheel" on the dry side.

(note: in the parts book it's not called a coupler wheel or a drive, it's called something like "joint" or some such)

the seal is fairly standard ceramic/oil lip style you see on a lot of small displacement 4T LC motors.

so, anatomy lesson of the LEADER LC motor aside, there's no way for oil and coolant to mix via the water pump.

if they're mixing it's manifesting at the barrel or head.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0094s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0026s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]