@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
UTC quote
I was checking the tire pressure on my GT200, and noticed the rear wheel had a slight amount of side play in it. All the lug nuts are tight. I replaced the rear tire about three months ago, and didn't notice it. Everything was put back the way it was and properly torqued. Is this normal, or is a cause for concern?
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
I can not say what is normal for a Vespa as I have only had one for app six months. My many years with motorcycles leads me to believe that noticeable side play would more then likely have me doing serious checking to find what was allowing the movement. It could be a minor problem but then could be a MAJOR safety issue. By asking for opinions you are rightly showing concern for your safety, GOOD FOR YOU.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
There's a bit of play. So likely normal.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Side play wheel vs transmission, or wheel and transmission vs frame? The former is OK if very slight, the latter means the swingarm needle bearings need replacing - an MOT failure in the UK.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
It is very slight, and it's not the swing arm. The lug nuts and the center nut where the cotter pin goes are properly tightened. Motorcycles don't have any side play in the wheels, and I never noticed it with any of the CVT scooters I've had before. I wouldn't have noticed it on the Vespa, I just happened to grab the tire in just the right way, something felt odd, so then I started trying to move the wheel, and discovered that it was slightly loose.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
It is very slight, and it's not the swing arm. The lug nuts and the center nut where the cotter pin goes are properly tightened. Motorcycles don't have any side play in the wheels, and I never noticed it with any of the CVT scooters I've had before. I wouldn't have noticed it on the Vespa, I just happened to grab the tire in just the right way, something felt odd, so then I started trying to move the wheel, and discovered that it was slightly loose.
Note by 'swingarm' I do NOT mean the exhaust bracket that holds the exhaust on[1] but the cantilever arrangement at the front underside of the engine that attaches it to the frame and allows it to swing up and down - which Piaggio in their wisdom call 'the swingarm'. Yes they actually got a description right for once...

[1] I may be a bit of a grump here, but calling it 'the swingarm' is a complete misnomer. It doesn't help the engine and transmission swing in any direction - it's firmly attached to the joint assembly.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
define "side play"

there should be near zero axial OR radial play in the assembly.

now, if you're talking about grabbing the tire/wheel and it feeling like it has some clunky play forward and reverse in terms of rotation, then that is entirely normal.

if that is not what you're experiencing I'd suspect the bearing in the swing arm that supports the axle. the wheel bolts and axle nut can be tight and this will still exhibit play if it is bad.

If neither of those is not at all what you're attempting to describe, then my next guess is that the silent block for motor mount has collapsed. it's number 17 in this diagram. easy visual inspection.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
By "side play" I mean the wheel moves slightly from right to left. It seems to be play in the shaft that the hub is attached to, that goes into the final drive gearbox. The CVT case does not move at all. The scooter has 14,000+ miles on it. About 12,000 of that is mine. I replaced the rear tire last summer, and replaced again earlier this year because I found a fairly deep cut in the tread. This was the third time I have replaced the rear tire. I never noticed anything wrong before, either while replacing the tires or while riding it
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
By "side play" I mean the wheel moves slightly from right to left.
if you're facing the bike from the RH side, some play right to left in the direction of operation for the wheel is normal. there is a noticeable amount of slop between the output of the final drive to the input from the driven pulley/clutch assembly.

if you're facing the bike from the rear any movement of the wheel right to left is cause for concern and should be investigated.
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150
UTC quote
All my bikes have some play tighten it down to speck. If it gets really bad you will know. Then you can fix it or sell it. You did not post how many miles that comes into play also. The next time you have the wheel off wiggle the shaft and see if there is movement if not it could be the spline on the wheel. New wheel lot less expensive.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0122s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]