OP
UTC

1966 Sprint, 1981 P200, 1974 Rally 200

1966 Sprint, 1981 P200, 1974 Rally 200
UTC quote
I was watching a video about someone who moved from Oregon to California and had to pump their own gas for the first time ever. And it got me thinking about both NJ and OR and their full service station requirements.

What do vintage scooter riders do? Do you sneak in afterwards and pour in the 2 stroke oil and hope they don't call the police on you? Do you trust them to understand how to measure out 2%? Do the attendants look at your weird scooter and say, "F it, do it yourself"?

Anybody have experience with this?
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
Yeah, they push the fill button and hand you the nozzle. That goes for any bike I've been on.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Lifelong Oregon resident here, and have had a moto license since 1995.
It used to be that the attendant had to pump the gas for you, but that was years and years ago. It was kinda awkward (when straddling a motorcycle) when the attendant was working a nozzle around your nether regions. The trick was to not make eye contact. After a bit the law changed and you would wait for the attendant to remove the nozzle from the gas pump and hand it to you. Then once you were finished you had to wait and hand the pump back to the attendant. It was against the law to hang the nozzle back up yourself. Nowadays you can touch the nozzle while it's still in the gas pump. Yes, oregon was that crazy. But don't worry, oregon is still that crazy with many other laws that don't make sense.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
I've never let anyone fill my bikes. When it was full service I used to just pull up, take the nozzle and start filling it. The attendant would run up to keep an eye on me but never argued.

Back when I had to premix fuel I just did it in jerry cans at home, often with a ton of tetra-ethyl additives and octane booster... yeah, I've been at it that long.

My dad ran out of gas for the lawnmower once, he later asked me what the hell was in the jerry can with the blue band around it and bright blue fuel inside. Seems the mower smoked like a pig on it but still somehow ran clean and strong.

How I miss tuned two stroke streetbikes...
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
Here in Thailand, it's always been full-serve for all vehicles nation-wide. After the attendant fills the tank, I dump in the measured amount of 2-stroke oil, close the tank cap, put the seat down, and pay the money. It isn't that complicated.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0095s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]