OP
UTC

vespa gts

vespa gts
UTC quote
Good day all,

Name is Dersan and age 45 living in Istanbul and working for electric vehicle business.

After a long period of time without riding a motorcycle "did 2 rtw trips" due to marriage and baby i did bought a vespa last month.

After readiing lots of rust topics, i did decide to put ppf film just above the front seam line and covering the whole front area and under.

My question is, they did applied this with a water and a little bit of moisture is trapped "maybe" is this going to be a problem espacilly on the seam area? or am i overthining it?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I would think the small amount of water needed to apply a film would evaporate well before it could become a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.
OP
UTC

vespa gts

vespa gts
UTC quote
Thank you very much, you know in the good old days i just ride them hard and never consider these kind of things.

But now this will be my last bike"wife wont allow me buy more " so i need to take care of it.

i did ordered a sluk front mudguard, hope it will arive next week than i will install it.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Not sure how a protective film is going to help with rust protection on a Vespa. The rust happens under the floorboard in the floor seems. The best course of action is to remove the floorboard remove the battery pull any wiring out of the way as much as possible and spray it down with a rust inhibitor like wool wax.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Welcome to MV, dersan!
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
waiting for floormat arguments 🍿
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150
UTC quote
SteelBytes,
You asked I'll byte little pun never hurt. Floor Mats suck they scratch the floor board more than protecting it! I just bought a 2019 Vespa Sprint 150 has a floor board mat have to leave it on the floor board is scratched so bad. Unless someone can tell me how to get scratches out.
OP
UTC

vespa gts

vespa gts
UTC quote
When debris from the road collides with the frame around the front wheel, it can cause the affected area to rust over time.This is the reason why i did cover it up with ppf.

Am i wrong?

And about the floor mat, they sold me cause if there are stones underneat the shoes it might damage the paint.

İ can cover the floormat surface with protective and smooth film maybe that will solve the current issue.

Other than that i can clear it every time no isssue for me i love my bike.

I will open the battery compartment and sprey it
UTC

Enthusiast
Gts hpe supertech

Enthusiast
Gts hpe supertech
UTC quote
I really wanted to do ppf on my gts but my local xpel shop said they didn't have the cut files. I tried asking xpel Indonesia if they could share the cut files with my shop but they never responded. Otherwise my local shop said they could do it by hand it just would be more expensive And not look as nice. Bummed since I already have a rock chip in the front (I ride a lot of freeway on my commute to work).
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
dersan wrote:
When debris from the road collides with the frame around the front wheel, it can cause the affected area to rust over time.This is the reason why i did cover it up with ppf.

Am i wrong?
No, seems logical to me.

For what its worth, floor mats have been a contentious issue here for a long time. Maybe not all that helpful, but not to worry about. Just be sure it's clean underneath.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
No, seems logical to me.

For what its worth, floor mats have been a contentious issue here for a long time. Maybe not all that helpful, but not to worry about. Just be sure it's clean underneath.
^^ this.

I've experienced both of these things.

I have recently repainted (by hand) the paint directly behind the front wheel as I had extensive chipping caused by gravel roads. surface rust had formed so a little sanding and painting a few layers have made it good enough for me (it's out of sight so didn't need perfection). sluk guard would have helped a lot

the mat I had on my old gts trapped dust and fine grit and scratch the paint badly. So if you use a mat make sure you clean under it frequently.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Wow, It looks so good. Nice color.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
...the mat I had on my old gts trapped dust and fine grit and scratch the paint badly. So if you use a mat make sure you clean under it frequently.
I bought a rubber mat for my GTS last fall, but after getting it, I'm hesitant about putting it on the bike and it's been laying on the floor in a corner of a bedroom since the day it arrived.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
UTC quote
dersan wrote:
Good day all,

Name is Dersan and age 45 living in Istanbul and working for electric vehicle business.

After a long period of time without riding a motorcycle "did 2 rtw trips" due to marriage and baby i did bought a vespa last month.

After readiing lots of rust topics, i did decide to put ppf film just above the front seam line and covering the whole front area and under.

My question is, they did applied this with a water and a little bit of moisture is trapped "maybe" is this going to be a problem espacilly on the seam area? or am i overthining it?
Automotive base color coats are water based before the clear coat, the product still "breaths" for quite some time before being cured and hardened, your protective product is probably fine.

I live in a low rust area but I still clean and wax the front and floor to rocker under-seam areas regularly, it's probably unnecessary as the bike is well put together at the seam/welded areas.

I'd speculate that these later Vespas are built and treated with modern auto industry like corrosion protection processes.
OP
UTC

vespa gts

vespa gts
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
Automotive base color coats are water based before the clear coat, the product still "breaths" for quite some time before being cured and hardened, your protective product is probably fine.

I live in a low rust area but I still clean and wax the front and floor to rocker under-seam areas regularly, it's probably unnecessary as the bike is well put together at the seam/welded areas.

I'd speculate that these later Vespas are built and treated with modern auto industry like corrosion protection processes.
this made me feel confident and secure. Thank you.what kind of wax do you recommand?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
dersan wrote:
this made me feel confident and secure. Thank you.what kind of wax do you recommand?
I usually use a spray wax, not as good as the paste but super easy and quick to do often.

I'd speculate the rust buckets were rode in high rust areas, put away wet and/or parked regularly outside

Seems rinsing (or spray wax sponge bathing) away road dirt, grime and fall out off the body, especially at the welded seams and underbody combats rust.
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
I did the same with some strips of bicycle PPF, it worked fine...
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Paluss wrote:
I did the same with some strips of bicycle PPF, it worked fine...
I applied without using water
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
With these metal bodies - I don't understand why Vespa does not apply a thick undercoating along the vulnerable areas - and then paint over it.
My '89 VW Jetta had this procedure applied from the factory in Wolfsburg - and while 25 yrs of Ohio road salt destroyed much of the remainder of the car - those rocker panels all along under it's 4 doors were still solid as new!
Who cares if the belly of these scoots has a slight 'orange peel" look to it - ! What you won't see is rust.
The stuff wouldn't cost Vespa $10 to roll a coat of it on before painting.

O.S.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0194s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]