OP
UTC

2003 GT200 Granturismo

2003 GT200 Granturismo
UTC quote
My 2004 GT200L has 21,000 miles on it (mostly all commuter.)
Thinking about adding 3,800 more miles on a round-trip out west in Aug-Sept. Anyone with that many miles (or more) on one of these have any advice/experience on running it 6-8 hours a days, for 10-11 days?
I'm the original owner and the bike has been well maintained.
Thanks.
OP
UTC

2003 GT200 Granturismo

2003 GT200 Granturismo
UTC quote
And if you did a rebuild, how many miles were on it?
Mine is original. No major engine work and have only changed the rollers and put a Scorpion exhaust on it. Rebuilt the carb last year. Nothing other than that but regular tire and fluid changes.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
It sounds like you are looking to do the equivalent of a scooter cannonball. There are a few GT200s in the field, if that gives you any indication this type if riding is possible on the bike.
https://scootercannonball.com/riders

In general, wleuthold has (I think) 3 well maintained GT200s and put lots of miles on them (like triple, and more what you have). You may want to read through his posts on this forum. Or hopefully he will see your thread and count directly.

(I also have a GT, but it's a young pup with only 7500 miles and no extended trips / tours in it)
OP
UTC

2003 GT200 Granturismo

2003 GT200 Granturismo
UTC quote
Thanks berto.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Seeing Berto's reply, I thought I must chime in with my experiences with owning Vespa GT200s.

I currently own three, plus a parts GT.

I owned another for a few years starting in 2012.

Rocket was my first, bought new in 2005. It got up to 76,000 miles on the first engine, that could have been repaired, but I chose to replace it because I had bought a 6000 mile engine from a wrecked GT. Rocket now has almost 106,000 miles. It was running great until it started throwing variator nuts last year. But I rode it 120 miles yesterday and it was perfect.

Rocket has been ridden hard with many interstate highway miles. It rolled over 60,000 miles while running in first place in the 2014 Scooter Cannonball Run. It did that near the Hoover Pass in Colorado while passing three trucks.

Razzo is a 2005 GT that I bought from Mike Justiss (Driller here) in 2015 with 6100 miles on it. It is currently just under 40,000 after being used a lot recently, being my scooter of choice at the Crescent City Crawl in New Orleans and the Bridges Ride in Jacksonville. It is running great on its original engine.

Vanessa is a 2007, and has had a tumultuous life. She has had several accidents and drops. Currently on her third instrument panel, I believe she has 27,000 miles. Several years ago I headed out to St. Petersburg for a ride with Lostboater when the power dropped off. I stopped, looked down and found oil all over the cowl. The dipstick had come out and allowed all the oil to fly out, ruining the engine. I found a donor scooter and had the 1000 mile engine put into her and have been riding since.

She was my scooter of choice in the 2016 SCR, finishing third.

To get mileage out of them, they have to be maintained well, especially oil changes. It also helps to ride them regularly.

I find a way to ride one of them almost every week, year round.

Bill
Rocket and me a few years ago on a ride in Central Florida.
Rocket and me a few years ago on a ride in Central Florida.
OP
UTC

2003 GT200 Granturismo

2003 GT200 Granturismo
UTC quote
Thanks WLeuthold
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
Have you ever had the valves adjusted?

Most damage to an engine is done while it warns up, so there's an argument that so much mileage in a short distance is better than a Vespa that's ridden a couple of miles a day on a cold engine...
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
Have you ever had the valves adjusted?

Most damage to an engine is done while it warns up, so there's an argument that so much mileage in a short distance is better than a Vespa that's ridden a couple of miles a day on a cold engine...
I had strange noise coming from the drivetrain of Rocket at around 40,000 miles.

I had Boris look at it and he found a scrape on a camshaft lobe and rocker arm. He made the repairs and it was good again, up to the 76,000 engine replacement.

Razzo was running poorly a few years ago and I had the valves adjusted at around 30,000 miles. It cured those running issues.

Other than that, no valve work.

My commute is 0.8 miles through my historic neighborhood. The scooters don't get warmed up on that ride but they all get in long rides every few weeks.

I have Vanessa in the shop getting it ready for the Scooter Cannonball Run.

Oil, belt, variator, brake fluid, coolant, engine oil, filter, air filter, speedometer cable, clock battery and 140 width rear tire. Also replacing bearings in the rear end as they are a little noisy.

I could have done most of it myself, but I am old.

Bill
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
A colleague of mine has a GTS300. I think it is a very related engine.

He did some 100000km with it, or some 62000miles, without problems. But then he noticed the engine was starting to consume too much oil.

He did disassemble the engine and replaced the cylinder and the piston. According to him the original pieces showed quite some wear and definitely needed replacement. His GTS is now back as good as new.

So if your GT200 is in good condition and there is no abnormal oil consumption I think these extra 4000miles should not be a problem.
OP
UTC

2003 GT200 Granturismo

2003 GT200 Granturismo
UTC quote
Thanks to all.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
11,800 miles. Apparently the (2007) GT200's can go on forever?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0118s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0033s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]