OP
UTC

Lurker
PX

Lurker
PX
UTC quote
Hello all-

I have a 2005 150PX that was running great and then I could no get it to shift out of 3rd. When I stopped I was able to move the Gear Selector "left handle" with out pressing the clutch. When I checked the Gear Selector "Batwing" the cables are still attached and moves freely when moving the left handle. The clutch arm still has the cable attached and there is tension and moves when you press the clutch handle. Anything else I should check before opening things up more? She starts just fine, just can't get it to move....seems like the clutch is still activated somehow.

Thanks in advance.
UTC

1979 smallframe, bajaj Priya aka VBB, PX150E Disc Brake

UTC quote
Wild ass guess: cruciform came loose. Undo two bolts that hold shift selector on, then shift the handlebar past fourth and it pops right off, cables attached. Reverse the process to pull it back on the studs after. The cruciform goes on counter clockwise and needs a nice torquing down once threaded nicely.
UTC

UTC quote
Can be done without splitting cases.
UTC

1980 P200e 2003 Stella

1980 P200e 2003 Stella
UTC quote
Maybe the pin came out of the selector/batwing shaft and arm inside the selector box.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

76 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
OP, post up some pictures. Those help tremendously with diagnosis. Videos are even better.

I agree that your cruciform probably came unthreaded somehow, especially if the cables are fine.

Have you pulled the cover off and observed the batwing? Can you confirm the whole unit is turning like it "should" (other than the whole "not shifting" part)?

If so, then your next step, as others said, is to remove the selector box. If it *is* the cruciform, then the whole unit will just pull off, including the selector shaft. If it requires any sort of effort to work the selector box off the shaft, the cruciform is still connected, which isn't necessarily bad, it just sends us in some other diagnostic direction.
UTC

UTC quote
If it is the cruciform, use (edited) a wrench to grab the flat part of the shifting shaft (after getting it started on the threads of the cruciform) and remember it is reverse threaded, which means rotate the opposite of how you think it should thread. Get it nice and super snug.

When putting shifter box back on, get the swivel-bit nicely mated with the flat part of the shifter-shaft-thing (you shifted past fourth gear earlier so it's easy), and use your toe to push the box while shifting back up to first with your left hand on handlebar. You want to 'pull' the selector box back on.

It should be easy. If it's a nightmare, you are doing it wrong ;D
⚠️ Last edited by stimuli on UTC; edited 2 times
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
DON'T USE PLIERS!!!

Use a 13 or 14mm wrench (I forget which). It'll fit and won't scrape up the surface. Plus, it'll be easier to manage since you won't be trying to manage your grip on the pliers at the same time. In this case, it might not cause issues, but it will be easier to just do it right.
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
DON'T USE PLIERS!!!

Use a 13 or 14mm wrench (I forget which). It'll fit and won't scrape up the surface. Plus, it'll be easier to manage since you won't be trying to manage your grip on the pliers at the same time. In this case, it might not cause issues, but it will be easier to just do it right.
17mm on the later gearbox. Or bigger pliers Facepalm emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0139s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0030s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]