@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted
'64 VBBs, '74 BMW R75/6 airhead, '74 Bultaco Alpina 250, Lambrettas + projects

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
UTC quote
I've seen some exciting accounts of motorcycle &/or scooter int'l travel reportage although I haven't read or watched them all...

There's of course the Elspeth Beard book about her BMW airhead travels, more at https://www.elspethbeard.com , and Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round series -- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403778/ , and to be more scooter specific, Wild Ride on Lambretta - Around the World Unexpected , and another with interviews and pics, at https://idiaridellalambretta.blogspot.com , and other some Vespa ones of course.

This morning I was reading older NSM forum threads on SI carb jetting and tuning and stumbled on member bholinath's posts and then his own blog about travels on his Rally 200, located here:
http://alonglaydown.blogspot.com . There's a book of the same name.

I don't know much about it but he's got to be one of the vintage scooter travel blog pioneers with his overseas trip circa 2009-2010. I haven't done a deep dive yet into the blog but look forward to checking out his adventures.

And, I have to say, this member's avatar name is just too good. I finally got it. I'd been wondering about that name mashup he came up with. You just need to say it out loud to yourself.

Anyway, does anyone know of more essential motorized & two-wheeled travel memoirs with visuals they'd recommend?

I guess the goal here is about vicarious thrills for those of us plagued with the travel bug but currently stuck closer to land...
Courtesy Ryo Mochizuki
Courtesy Ryo Mochizuki
@fraggleexport avatar
UTC

Hooked
'65 Sprint 177/ '17 GTS300

Hooked
@fraggleexport avatar
'65 Sprint 177/ '17 GTS300
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
You'll enjoy this epic saga of a guy & his teenage son going cross-country on a Honda named "Cack". It's Homerian.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/detroit-to-san-diego-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-negligence.265019/
UTC

1980 P200e 2003 Stella

1980 P200e 2003 Stella
UTC quote
Wife and I re-watched Long Way Round a couple months back. Should probably re-watch Long Way Down and the 3rd with Charlie attempting the Dakar.

Itchy Boots while based on a motorcycle is one I have been watching for a year or so on youtube. Some of the scenery she shows is incredible!
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Stergios & Alexandra from Greece…

https://www.worldvespa.net/home/
OP
@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Stergios & Alexandra from Greece…

https://www.worldvespa.net/home/
These guys are great. That is a dream travel route they mapped out. I also can't wait to see whether their dog makes an appearance. Good suggestion!
OP
@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
You'll enjoy this epic saga of a guy & his teenage son going cross-country on a Honda named "Cack". It's Homerian.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/detroit-to-san-diego-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-negligence.265019/
Haven't read any ADV rider "road reports" before now -- I always found myself on that site as a BMW troubleshooting reference. So, nice suggestion, SoCal! Fun writing style: I'm several chapters in and I sense there could be trouble waiting around one of the next curves. Clearly, one of the more unique ways to get to San Diego. I like the rant warnings as well.
OP
@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
UTC quote
I'll try to snag a copy of this book. Thanks!
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
Visuals will require your imagination... but this was fun:
https://www.amazon.com/Vroom-View-Search-Italys-Dolce/dp/1933572019
OP
@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
UTC quote
CnKC wrote:
Wife and I re-watched Long Way Round a couple months back. Should probably re-watch Long Way Down and the 3rd with Charlie attempting the Dakar.

Itchy Boots while based on a motorcycle is one I have been watching for a year or so on youtube. Some of the scenery she shows is incredible!
We enjoyed watching these series with the kids about 7-8 years ago. Charlie lighting farts on fire was a hit. I have to check out the latest, Long Way Up, from ARgentina to L.A., CA, shot in 2020 (sadly, no Apple TV+ subscription tho).
OP
@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Visuals will require your imagination... but this was fun:
https://www.amazon.com/Vroom-View-Search-Italys-Dolce/dp/1933572019
Sounds like a good early one -- meaning both the '61 scoot AND the 2006 travel account. Cute title! I'll track a copy down. T/Y Birdsnest!
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@bholinath avatar
UTC

Addicted
Rally 200, SS 180, ET3

Addicted
@bholinath avatar
Rally 200, SS 180, ET3
UTC quote
IT'S been a long lie down for me and I haven't posted for a few years but for some unknown reason I decided to have a look at this great site again, to refresh my memory of the ins and outs of the classic Vespa.

It's weird that you mentioned my book, A Long Lay Down, as I've just finished rewriting it. (I make just $1 profit on that over-priced $60 book).
The original photo book was adapted from a blog I kept as I was travelling... very lazily and shoddily written. It was more of a personal souvenir / reminder, than something i was trying to sell. The grammar, etc was appalling. (Even although I'm British English!).
It's weird because, recently, I have just finished re-writing and editing it, as a proper book, using proper English! 🤣. I just need to upload to Amazon, Apple/Google books, etc. Look out for it in the next month or two, with the new title: A Long Lie Down by Es Kaye. No photos, just cheap as possible, B & W, text only. Paperback and eBook will be available. (Sorry for the spam!) Although I may publish another version, with photos, but eBook/pdf only.

That particular journey, and blog/book, as you can tell by the title, were partly inspired by the comedy, "A Long Way Down" with Ewan and Charlie. Not that I admired them, rather the opposite. It kinda made me more determined to NOT do it like them and thought how ridiculous they both were when they kept mentioning "essentially we're on our own", but with a back up team of many and with a seemingly endless budget, sponsorships, OTT bikes, schedules, etc. Was I jealous? No way! That's not how I liked to travel. It takes away the enjoyable freedom of travelling, which, for me, is one of THE best things about travelling on 2-wheels, whatever your choice of bike. I just happen to love old Vespas.

As for the name, Bholinath, it's taken from Hindu religion. It's another name for the No.1 deity, Shiva. When you say this name, shout it nice and loud!
"Bhoom Bholenath sab ki sath.....Shiva Shankar..."
It helps if you smoke chillums 🤪😜

I'm actually hoping to write a couple more books about my other various adventures on Vespas/LML/Bajaj in India, Nepal and Bhutan, riding through the Himalayas.

I would hardly say I was a pioneer. I'm sure there have been many many more before me. And still today there are crazy guys and gals doing more amazing things than I've done on Vespas. Cannonball run, etc, Markus Mayer around the world, the Singaporean girl who travelled to Europe, and another English guy I've just read about, who finished his trip from UK to Nepal recently. (That's the trip I originally wanted to do,.... still want to do😛). Aswell as all the others that preceeded us all. I salute you all.

Happy travels ,

Bhoom!
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
Great to see you back Bholinath! I particularly remember you from the ols StellaSpeed forum, you always had something useful to say.
OP
@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
UTC quote
bholinath wrote:
IT'S been a long lie down for me and I haven't posted for a few years but for some unknown reason I decided to have a look at this great site again…
Awesome to see you back for a visit, Bhoom! I've enjoyed your many contributions here. Best of luck with the book editing process and further writings! zz
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

74 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

74 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
Great to see you back Bholinath! I particularly remember you from the ols StellaSpeed forum, you always had something useful to say.
This! I was such a newb on StellaSpeed that I couldn't understand a lot of what you posted, but welcome back to MV either way.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
This! I was such a newb on StellaSpeed that I couldn't understand a lot of what you posted, but welcome back to MV either way.
If you were a noob there, what does that make me, as I never even went there!
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@bholinath avatar
UTC

Addicted
Rally 200, SS 180, ET3

Addicted
@bholinath avatar
Rally 200, SS 180, ET3
UTC quote
I hope this is OK admin.... the book has finally been published and available at all major bookstores worldwide, including - Amazon, B&N, etc

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Lie-Down-England-breakdown/dp/B0CD1T8VHQ

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-long-lie-down-es-kaye/1143840556

I wouldn't have been so confident about the trip without all the knowledge I gained from this site.

Thanks everyone
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0187s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0060s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]