OP
@pinball avatar
UTC

Member
GT200 Granturismo 2006
Joined: UTC
Posts: 28
Location: Puyallup, Washington
 
Member
@pinball avatar
GT200 Granturismo 2006
Joined: UTC
Posts: 28
Location: Puyallup, Washington
UTC quote
Ok, ok, my second helmet from 2006 finally needs a new plastic shield. Here's the data off the plastic itself:

SCORPIONEXO
KDF-20

I can provide pictures if that helps someone. Going with a plastic polish has already been tried. Thanks in advance.
David
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Pinball on UTC; edited 1 time
@robalatte avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300's
Joined: UTC
Posts: 277
Location: PALM SPRINGS, CA
 
Hooked
@robalatte avatar
GTS 300's
Joined: UTC
Posts: 277
Location: PALM SPRINGS, CA
UTC quote
Pinball wrote:
Ok, ok, my second helmet from 2006 finally needs a new plastic shield. Here's the data off the plastic itself:

SCORPIONEXO
KDF-20

I can provide pictures if that helps someone. Going with a plastic polish has already been tried. Thanks in advance.
David
Did you try google? It seems to yield some results, also try eBay.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=SCORPIONEXO+KDF-20&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
[url][/url]
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5710
Location: Batmania aka Melbourne, Australia
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5710
Location: Batmania aka Melbourne, Australia
UTC quote
might be worth a read (not just the opening paragraphs)

https://timeless2wheels.com/682077/do-motorcycle-helmets-expire/
OP
@pinball avatar
UTC

Member
GT200 Granturismo 2006
Joined: UTC
Posts: 28
Location: Puyallup, Washington
 
Member
@pinball avatar
GT200 Granturismo 2006
Joined: UTC
Posts: 28
Location: Puyallup, Washington
UTC quote
Totally get the helmet degradation information. Thank you. This helmet has been worn a dozen times in 15 years and stored in climate control with no drops or accidents. It's got more life left IMO.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S
Joined: UTC
Posts: 616
Location: UK
 
Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S
Joined: UTC
Posts: 616
Location: UK
UTC quote
Pinball wrote:
Totally get the helmet degradation information. Thank you. This helmet has been worn a dozen times in 15 years and stored in climate control with no drops or accidents. It's got more life left IMO.
Yet it needs a new visor?
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
 
Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
UTC quote
My last thead on "What do you do with your old helmets" ended up getting locked.

OP, hope you find a visor for your old helmet.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 794
Location: NYC
 
Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 794
Location: NYC
UTC quote
Pinball wrote:
Totally get the helmet degradation information. Thank you. This helmet has been worn a dozen times in 15 years and stored in climate control with no drops or accidents. It's got more life left IMO.
At 15 years of age, I wouldn't count on the helmet for protection. Regardless of how many times it has been worn or dropped, as plastics (invisibly) degrade over time.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22534
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22534
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
Pinball wrote:
Totally get the helmet degradation information. Thank you. This helmet has been worn a dozen times in 15 years and stored in climate control with no drops or accidents. It's got more life left IMO.
the styrofoam degrades and that alone is the primary shock absorption in the design and workings of a helmet. The shell itself is just to hold the styrofoam, the chin strap holds the helmet to your head.

so you have to ask your self why do you wear a helmet?
to head the letter of the laws because your forced to?
to actually protect your head?

interesting fact with head protection. not many folks know is that hard hats have expirations and there are big fines for companies from osha when they do spot on site inspections for violations.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 229
Location: n. carolina
 
Hooked
2007gts250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 229
Location: n. carolina
UTC quote
All adults should be able to determine for themselves the level of risk they may assume in any action they choose to engage in.(my opinion, others may differ) I Myself would like to be able to replace the cheap plastic face shields that often came with older helmets, as i believe the op does. No advice about where the op may acquire what he wishes but most if not all more then insinuating that they would not choose to do what he wishes to do. I accept that my using a Shoei helmet I acquired over 50 years ago might not protect me as much as one purchased yesterday, does not change the fact that a new clear undamaged visor would allow better visuals while riding.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2319
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2319
Location: Toronto, Canada
UTC quote
Whether you've worn it even once or never at all, your helmet isn't a baby anymore.

Your helmet is old enough to need it's own helmet, because your helmet is old enough to have it's own license.

Take a 16 year old elastic band that's never been used before. Stretch it out. Bet you didn't get too far before it snapped, right? Because it's all dried out and shitty. Welcome to the layers of your helmet that you can't see.

If your brain is smart it'll know it's time to let go. If it isn't, great news my dude! You'll save some money not buying a new helmet! ROFL emoticon
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2319
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2319
Location: Toronto, Canada
UTC quote
frank thomas wrote:
All adults should be able to determine for themselves the level of risk they may assume in any action they choose to engage in.(my opinion, others may differ) I Myself would like to be able to replace the cheap plastic face shields that often came with older helmets, as i believe the op does. No advice about where the op may acquire what he wishes but most if not all more then insinuating that they would not choose to do what he wishes to do. I accept that my using a Shoei helmet I acquired over 50 years ago might not protect me as much as one purchased yesterday, does not change the fact that a new clear undamaged visor would allow better visuals while riding.
OP has every right to choose to do as he wishes. I have a 12 year old Arai I still wear from time to time.

The difference is, I don't put on my Arai and tell people "This is totally fine. I am special. The laws of time don't apply to my things."

I put it on knowing full well, at this point, it's about as safe as riding in an orange Home Depot bucket. I don't lie to myself (or others) about it.

Also, re: your point that OP has every right to choose to do as he wishes
- that also means that people replying have every right to choose to reply how they want to. If that includes not aiding and abetting him in putting himself in a dangerous position, that's their/our rights as well.

Still trying to figure out who needs a new visor for a good-as-new helmet anyway...
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2319
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2319
Location: Toronto, Canada
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
At 15 years of age, I wouldn't count on the helmet for protection. Regardless of how many times it has been worn or dropped, as plastics (invisibly) degrade over time.
I'd math it at 17 years tbh. He said he bought it in 2006. Production date could very likely have been 2005 or even earlier.

That helmet has it's own license. It'll be old enough to legally drink in Canada next year.
@clampett avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022&2023 Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 335
Location: Alabama
 
Hooked
@clampett avatar
2022&2023 Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 335
Location: Alabama
UTC quote
frank thomas wrote:
All adults should be able to determine for themselves the level of risk they may assume in any action they choose to engage in.(my opinion, others may differ) I Myself would like to be able to replace the cheap plastic face shields that often came with older helmets, as i believe the op does. No advice about where the op may acquire what he wishes but most if not all more then insinuating that they would not choose to do what he wishes to do. I accept that my using a Shoei helmet I acquired over 50 years ago might not protect me as much as one purchased yesterday, does not change the fact that a new clear undamaged visor would allow better visuals while riding.
The nature of the internet. If you post a photo of a red car, and ask if anyone else has seen one this red, you'll get a long list of posts explaining the color codes, the years it was almost red, why you shouldn't call it red, why the company chose to call it XXX that year instead of red, why you don't know your cars because you called it red, and all you wanted to know was if someone else had seen one that color of that model.
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
 
Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1163
Location: Texas
 
Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1163
Location: Texas
UTC quote
My .02 is threefold.

First, I hope you find a suitable shield if you decide to keep your helmet. Maybe you can cross reference from another brand?

Second, as others have said, helmets expire, and might not do the job you need them to do when the fit hits the shan.

Third, it seems to me helmets today are just...better in so many ways. Nicer materials, better finishes, adjustable and washable interior pads, better fastening systems, better ventilation, quieter, lighter, and so on. My new helmet is in every way better than my 8 year old HJC, and was cheaper (on sale) to boot. Maybe treat yourself to an upgrade?

In any case, good luck.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1350
Location: 🤷‍♂️
 
Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1350
Location: 🤷‍♂️
UTC quote
I've been shy to even reply to this thread. This is one of those topics where it's hard to be constructive. People have mostly been civil, but you can definitely see an argument about freedom or whatever brewing.

So, I'll share an anecdote:



Just before I started riding, I went to a concert I was really looking forward to. I'd been going to concerts for nearly two decades at that point. I'd heard scary math about decibel levels etc., but hadn't really encountered anyone who took those warnings seriously in real life. Felt a bit like the "known by the State of California to cause cancer" signs - not good news, but everyone carries on anyway and seems fine.

The sound at this show sucked. It was too loud. Instruments were falling out of the mix. They straight up stopped the show a couple times to try to fix it.

I didn't care. It was my birthday, and I was determined to have a good time in spite of objective reality. I parked myself at the very front and danced to the music I wanted to be hearing.

At some point, a total stranger walked up to me, reached in his pocket, and foisted those shitty construction earplugs upon me - the ones that make everything sound terrible. I gave it a shot for 20 seconds, went NOPE, and took them back out. He shouted at me "YOU'RE GONNA FUCK UP YOUR HEARING!"

Whatever, man. Leave me alone.

A few weeks later, I woke up and noticed a little ringing, the kind you'd usually hear for the rest of the night after a show. From where I sit now, it's hard to know if I had an objective change in perception after that show, or if being threatened by that stranger triggered some weird path in my brain that made me reinterpret my normal experience in a negative way.

Whatever the cause, it triggered some really dark thoughts. I wondered if I'd permanently fucked up my body, if I would be unable to ever have as good of a time in the future as I'd had in the past. Had I just lost the ability to experience joy, uninterrupted, for the rest of my life? The dark and dangerous thoughts went on for months.

Coincidentally, I bought myself a Vespa for that same birthday. Riding was one of the only things that helped me shake off and process the darkness.

I made sure to buy myself a set of custom earplugs. (My first set was -15dB. Didn't feel like enough, so I upgraded to -25dB a year later.) They were about $300.

I'm a big advocate of earplugs now.

People are really bad at valuing anything other than the present. It's the same reason it's easy to snack on junk food when it's available. Even if you don't particularly like whatever you're snacking on, mild pleasure now is worth more than whatever untold, theoretical damage to your future wellbeing. Same goes for safety gear on a motorbike, condoms, whatever. We tend to value things we know feel good now over the potential (unknown) harm that might result in the future.

If you amortize out the cost of something like earplugs or a new helmet over the amount of protection they provide, they're basically free.

A few hundred dollars for a new helmet might feel like more than you want to spend when you've only used the old one a handful of times. "This is basically new! Why should I spend hundreds to replace it?"

Imagine you have a permanent injury: hearing loss, traumatic brain injury, loss of a limb - something that really sucks and affects your day-to-day life. Imagine you could pay some price to go back to normal. How much would you be willing to spend to be able to think clearly, hear your friends, use your hands; to have a regular day after you'd had that ability taken away? I imagine it's a pretty big number.

You're awake for something like 6000 hours per year. If it cost you 1¢ for every hour you were awake to feel good, that's $60 per year. I'm in my 30s - one penny per hour would be $3000 over the rest of my life.

Quality gear - helmet, earplugs, gloves, pants, jacket - is basically free if you amortize the cost over the benefit it provides. A few hundred dollars now is a few pennies per day in insurance for your ability to continue enjoying your life if something bad happens.



Maybe you're right - maybe your helmet is totally fine. Maybe you'll never hit your head hard enough to find out. In any case, is it worth being wrong?

My last girlfriend was in a slow speed car wreck a few years before I met her. She experienced pain daily and had a really low tolerance for any kind of stimulation. Some fluke totally impacted her quality of life, maybe forever.

If I were you, I'd do my future self a solid and protect that person as best as you can right now, so you can enjoy today and the days after.



As for me, at some point I forgot what it was like before the concert, which let me stop worrying so much about what I may have lost. I've spent thousands of hours riding since then, always with earplugs. Maybe my hearing now is better than it would have been if I hadn't had that inspiration to protect it.
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
Joined: UTC
Posts: 279
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
Joined: UTC
Posts: 279
Location: Chandler, AZ
UTC quote
A couple years ago I bought a white HJC CL-17 helmet online. I also bought several tinted shields and a couple of clear shields for it. We get blasted by sand and gravel here in AZ. And at certain times of the year, we have to ride through zillions of bugs. Cleaning them off will scratch the shield. I got the helmet for around $150, DOT certified. Size XXXL, a hard to find size. It fit perfectly, and is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. Shortly after buying that one, I began seeing them online at closeout prices. HJC had discontinued it. I searched around and found a place that still had some white ones in XXXL. For less than what I paid for the first one. I ordered 2 more. They are still new in the box, in the closet. Unless something happens to it, I will wear the first one for at least three more years. That gives me enough helmets for at least 13 more years. I will probably not still be riding by that time.

I started wearing earplugs about 25 years ago. I have had tinnitus since my early 20s. The main reason I wear a helmet is to protect me from the wind and all the debris in it. Decades ago I tried riding once without a helmet, above 40 mph or so it was unbearable. It was also unsafe, even without crashing. Twice, while at highway speeds, I was hit by things that almost knocked me off the bike. I don't know what the first one was, but it hit hard enough to break my face shield. Knocked my head back, my neck hurt for several days afterward. The second time it was a large bird. It didn't break the face shield, but there was blood everywhere. I had to open the face shield and take the next exit, ride slowly until I found a place to clean it up. Had it not been for the helmet and face shields, I would have almost certainly gone down, and crashing on a concrete highway at 75-80 mph without a helmet would have almost certainly been fatal. I would also probably have crashed had I been wearing an open face helmet with glasses or goggles. I don't wear anything but one piece full face helmets.
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 66
Location: Sechelt, B.C. Canada
 
Banned
2006 LX150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 66
Location: Sechelt, B.C. Canada
UTC quote
I flew very loud aircraft back before headsets and earplugs were even invented. We stuffed our ears with toilet paper. Years later, I wore proper ear plugs and a helmet, which helped to dampen the vibrations in my skull which also damages hearing. I wear hearing aids now and without them on, my hearing is sh^t. Not being able to hear a high hat in music or many kinds of birds is bad enough but eventually you get fed up with saying "pardon" when people talk to you so you miss a lot that is said. Then people assume you are thick because you don't respond properly to what was said. Look after your hearing, it takes very little to damage it and it's permanent. The loss of the pleasure of hearing is awful.

Rant Switch……OFF
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0226s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0080s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]