OP
@kudu avatar
UTC

1979 P125X, 1983 P125X America

@kudu avatar
1979 P125X, 1983 P125X America
UTC quote
I am prepping for a long road trip and thought I'd pull the flywheels of my two Vespas (one a 79 P125X and the other a 83 P125X America) to inspect the condition of the ignition systems.

Using the standard tool from Scooter Center, the flywheel came off the 79 as expected and I was able to do the necessary inspection and cleaning. The flywheel seems to be the original Ducati.

However, the same tool does not seem to fit the 83 America. The internal diameter seems to be slightly smaller and/or the threading is different. Is this possible? This flywheel is stamped "AEL" instead of Ducati, so I am not sure that it is original.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Kudu wrote:
I am prepping for a long road trip and thought I'd pull the flywheels of my two Vespas (one a 79 P125X and the other a 83 P125X America) to inspect the condition of the ignition systems.

Using the standard tool from Scooter Center, the flywheel came off the 79 as expected and I was able to do the necessary inspection and cleaning. The flywheel seems to be the original Ducati.

However, the same tool does not seem to fit the 83 America. The internal diameter seems to be slightly smaller and/or the threading is different. Is this possible? This flywheel is stamped "AEL" instead of Ducati, so I am not sure that it is original.
use a set of calipers and a metric thread gauge; these two tools will tell you exactly what you are dealing with on this flywheel.

It's possible that the makers of the AEL used something different.
UTC

Lurker
P125X

Lurker
P125X
UTC quote
On the ScooterWest page they have a flywheel tool that is 27mm left hand thread which they state is for random Asian-made flywheels on vintage Vespas.

Perhaps this is what you have, as the standard tool is 28mm.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0106s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0022s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]