@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
UTC quote
Can anyone recommend a good phone mount that attaches to mirror stem?
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
Quad Lock
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
whichever you get make sure it has vibration dampening otherwise the image stabilisation in your phone may get damaged. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT212803 (of course also affects other brands)

here is a solution by Quad Lock https://www.quadlockcase.com.au/products/vibration-dampener?variant=32024967610481
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
I recommend the mounts from SP Connect.

Mount on the mirror + cell phone specific case or universal case, the latter is water resistant.

https://sp-connect.com/collections/universal/products/universal?variant=42332610363592

The Mirror-Mount is available in two versions:

https://sp-connect.com/collections/motorbike/products/mirror-mount

and
https://sp-connect.com/collections/motorbike/products/mirror-mount-pro

The standard mirror-mount is perfectly adequate

Note: there are depending on the selected components also sets (including mirror-mount and phone case)

ATTENTION: with smartphones, vibrations can damage the camera (Apple warns against this!), so always order the anti-vibration module as well!

https://sp-connect.com/collections/motorbike/products/anti-vibration-module
https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2577639#2577639
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
whichever you get make sure it has vibration dampening otherwise the image stabilisation in your phone may get damaged. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT212803 (of course also affects other brands)
My brother gifted me one of those dampeners as he had problems with his iPhone vibrating. I have an android phone and never had an issue. I put it on my quadlock mount anyway. My phone didn't seem very stable in it. Sure enough it flew off never to be seen again. I took the stupid thing off.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Get a RAM mirror mount and a double socket arm. Then, you can put whatever mounting system you want on.

I have Peak Design's. I'm pretty happy with it. The case looks great, and it's easy to pull your phone out if you want to e.g. take a quick photo. I beat the shit out of it on some washboard roads in Vietnam, and it never dropped my phone.

My first one was defective. I took it to the Peak offices. Their QA guy said it looked like the assembler forgot to Loctite it, and that it's the only one that's ever had that problem.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
I have the RAM mounted on the mirror stem and that works fine.
@cube avatar
UTC

2018 Sprint 150

@cube avatar
2018 Sprint 150
UTC quote
Bobo wrote:
My brother gifted me one of those dampeners as he had problems with his iPhone vibrating. I have an android phone and never had an issue.
The mechanism behind why vibration can damage the focus mechanism is explained in this article on iFixit, which I found quite interesting. The focus is adjusted by moving a lens with electromagnets. The lens is attached with tiny wires, and if one of them breaks, the focus mechanism doesn't work anymore. It's not just an Apple issue -- iFixit shows it on a Pixel.
Bobo wrote:
I put it on my quadlock mount anyway. My phone didn't seem very stable in it. Sure enough it flew off never to be seen again. I took the stupid thing off.
I have one of these and I have found that I need to screw it down harder than seems intuitive, and I have to adjust that tension a little bit so that it works to dampen rather than exaggerate the vibration. I suspect riding with it not carefully adjusted is probably worse than not riding with it.
@themayor avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 (2021)

Enthusiast
@themayor avatar
GTS 300 (2021)
UTC quote
Quadlock
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
TheMayor wrote:
Quadlock
Seems to be a popular option. I tried it, but I found the assembly to be a bit overwhelming. Came in something like four different boxes with four different assemblies and no clear "this is how these are meant to be put together." I think I must have confused two similar pieces of plastic with one another, cause I ended up with this mess. Ended up sending the whole thing back and going with Peak.

I'm quite happy with that decision. The Peak system looks way better, is very secure, and seems to be easier to use. There's a button on the side you push to release the latch.
@mopmop avatar
UTC

Hooked
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'

Hooked
@mopmop avatar
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'
UTC quote
The focus system of my iPhone 12 mini died when in a phone mount. Admitted, it was not equipped with a vibration damper. But I'll never put my phone on a phone mount again.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Get a RAM mirror mount and a double socket arm. Then, you can put whatever mounting system you want on.
This is what I do.

I'll make a video next week since this question comes up every season, sometimes multiple times a season lol
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
Mopmop wrote:
The focus system of my iPhone 12 mini died when in a phone mount. Admitted, it was not equipped with a vibration damper. But I'll never put my phone on a phone mount again.
So far no issue with my phone. It is a Galaxy A53.
But you make me worry a bit. Is this problem typically for iPhone's or is it a general problem for all smartphones?
@gnees avatar
UTC

2021 GTS 300 75th

@gnees avatar
2021 GTS 300 75th
UTC quote
I had a RAM mount and switched it to a SP Connect. I liked the smaller footprint when a phone was not being used. I may have a complete RAM Mirror mount system if you want to go that way. It is just sitting in a box.
@cube avatar
UTC

2018 Sprint 150

@cube avatar
2018 Sprint 150
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I tried it, but I found the assembly to be a bit overwhelming. Came in something like four different boxes with four different assemblies and no clear "this is how these are meant to be put together." I think I must have confused two similar pieces of plastic with one another, cause I ended up with this mess.
I think the Quad Lock, like my Sena 50S, is a good product burdened with poor documentation.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
So far no issue with my phone. It is a Galaxy A53.
But you make me worry a bit. Is this problem typically for iPhone's or is it a general problem for all smartphones?
it can affect phones that use optical image stabilisation (OIS) rather than electrical image stabilisation (EIS).

on many of the phones that have ois including iphone 14 pro and pixel 7 pro and recent higher model samsungs you can actually hear the ois rattle if you turn off you phone and hold it to your ear at shake it a little. the various manufacturers have stated that this is normal for many/most of their models.

if you open the camera app and zoom in / out then the phone will stop rattling because it is typically applying power to the electro magnets that gently hold the ois in place. note variations of this method could be used in different models but no need to explore this

I'd hope that newer phones are designed to be not get damage by this unlike earlier ois models. manufactures could / may apply a small voltage when the camera app is not open to reduce the rattle, so you may only hear this if you fully turn off your phone not just turning off the screen.
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 3 times
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
it can affect phones that use optical image stabilisation (OIS) rather than electrical image stabilisation (EIS).
and a follow up to my longer post above ...

obviously if you have after market suspension set to a firm setting and ride aggressively on bad roads than you are more likely to have this than on soft oem suspension and ride gently on smooth roads.

so I don't claim all users will kill their ois

plus of course you might not notice that the ois is damaged as it will still take a picture just that it might be slightly crooked as the ois is not lined up and not absorbing movement
UTC

UTC quote
Can't go wrong with a quadlock. If you already have a RAM mount system, you can get their RAM mount adapter. I agree with getting the vibration dampener. That's a must on newer phones.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
if you open the camera app and zoom in / out then the phone will stop rattling because it is typically applying power to the electro magnets that gently hold the ois in place.
Does this mean that a dash cam app might actually be good for your phone when riding?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Does this mean that a dash cam app might actually be good for your phone when riding?
I guess so ...

... if you don't mind your phone getting warmer than I personally like due to the extended period of more work the camera app causes resulting in the battery charge system to have to work more resulting in more heat. particularly if your phone is in direct sunlight which also makes it warm. and having the screen on all the time would make it warmer. and in a case it will stay warmer. So not my preference.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
before someone chimes in with "I've never had a problem" in an argumentative tone:

these are just the reasons I don't have my phone mounted. I'm not saying you shouldn't.

(and I don't need to as I have a supertech which shows all I need on my dash; google maps nav and engine stats such as rpm and water temp thanks to my own app)
OP
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@outsider avatar
UTC quote
Thank you for all your help i bought a mirror stem mount from Scooterwest.
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
UTC quote
I don't use "dumbphones", my '90s style flip phone works just fine. But I do have a Garmin Zumo 396 mounted on my left side mirror. I got the mirror mount from Scooterwest. It came with several different spacers for different diameter mirror stems. One set of them fit the GT200 Mirror stem perfectly. But there is a problem. While riding, the vibration causes the mount to turn on the stem, and the GPS unit keeps dropping lower and lower. I have a Faco adjustable windshield, with the sliding part removed, because raising it any higher than all the way down caused severe helmet buffeting. I took a long zip tie, and wrapped it around the RAM mount just under the cradle, then around the support rod on the windshield where the other part of the windshield used to be, and that stopped the mount from moving.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I have a RAM mount on both mirrors allowing me to attach different accessories. Right now I have a phone mount on the right, and a Chubby Buttons device on the left which allows me to control my music with gloves on. Don't use the phone mount unless I need it for the GPS. Use need an adapter to mount the RAM mount on the mirrors though.
@cube avatar
UTC

2018 Sprint 150

@cube avatar
2018 Sprint 150
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
That's a really interesting question.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
LarryMK wrote:
Use need an adapter to mount the RAM mount on the mirrors though.
I think you missed a word there, but the size 47 clamp seems to fit my mirror just fine.

I need to tighten it down a bit more. (This is my first time using this mount on the GTS.) If that doesn't do it, I can add a rubber shim to really cinch it down.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I am not sure what size mount I had but I know i had a rubber adapter in the ring of the mount, that went on the windshield and that worked fine.
@duck_dodgers avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTV

Hooked
@duck_dodgers avatar
2016 GTV
UTC quote
QuadLock fanboy.
QuadLock on a GTV
QuadLock on a GTV
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I think you missed a word there, but the size 47 clamp seems to fit my mirror just fine.

I need to tighten it down a bit more. (This is my first time using this mount on the GTS.) If that doesn't do it, I can add a rubber shim to really cinch it down.
Aviator47's good tip from long ago - use an inch of garden hose as a shim.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
SP Connect is the other brand I keep seeing a lot of
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0117s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0050s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]