OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
I have multiple helmets. I don't need a sena and I don't want to keep changing the headphones back and forth.
Any suggestions for reasonable priced headphones to put in helmets?

$120 for these is nuts.
https://www.amazon.ca/KONNECT-Wireless-in-Helmet-Adventure-Headphone/dp/B07LFMCF16
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
I don't see that you need something labelled a for motorcycles?

I gather many riders are happy with apple airpods. probably other decent similar brands would also be nice like the google pixel buds or samsung galaxy buds or sony etc. Plus most of these offer noise cancellation
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 1 time
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
BT-12 or BT-22. About $15.

BT-22 is newer but it comes with a microphone attached which I cut off. BT-12 is older tech but comes with a microphone that can be unplugged. BT-22 is stuck onto the helmet, BT-12 is a clamp-on.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
I don't see that you need something labelled a for motorcycles?

I gather many riders are happy with apple airpods. probably other decent similar brands would also be nice like the google pixel buds or samsung galaxy buds or sony etc. Plus most of these offer noise cancellation
Excellent point, but I've tried (wired) buds before and the helmet just mashed them into my ears to the point it was painful!
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
How to get those to stay in the ear when putting on a helmet? Suggests that some are wearing oversized helmets.

Then again some cheaper helmets don't have a built in pocket for the in-helmet speakers.

The OP doesn't want to
Quote:
keep changing the headphones back and forth.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
I have ordered these https://www.ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-helmet-speakers/

You can attach a bluetooth receiver but I think I will just go with them wired to my pocket to have one less thing to charge.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
I have ordered these https://www.ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-helmet-speakers/

You can attach a bluetooth receiver but I think I will just go with them wired to my pocket to have one less thing to charge.
Great option, thank you!
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:

A Cardo is just a set of speakers like this plus a Bluetooth bridge. They sell the speakers separately.

I've had a couple Cardos die in the rain. Being able to hardwire the speakers to my phone with the audio extension cable that you can get at any electronics shop has been a saving grace on two separate tours. Now, I carry the extension cable when I tour, just in case.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
I've done several posts over the years about using Apple's AirPods Pro and Pro II to reduce noise inside motorcycle helmets. This is the latest one: [UPDATE] Reducing helmet noise level with AirPods Pro II. My focus was reducing in-helmet noise (They are excellent). The sound quality is also excellent tho I don't listen to music while I ride. There's a lot of info in the thread above. Perhaps the AirPods Pro II would meet your requirements. They are pricey tho.

Best
Miguel
⚠️ Last edited by Miguel on UTC; edited 1 time
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
With Sean you can buy the mount kits separately. Install mounts in each helmet and move the control unit between them. Bonus, you only need to sync one unit to your phone/GPS.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
With Sean you can buy the mount kits separately. Install mounts in each helmet and move the control unit between them. Bonus, you only need to sync one unit to your phone/GPS.
I think autocorrect ate "Sena." Same is true of Cardo. They're called "second helmet kits."

Sounds like the OP is looking for something cheaper, but that's where my head went too.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I think autocorrect ate "Sena." Same is true of Cardo. They're called "second helmet kits."

Sounds like the OP is looking for something cheaper, but that's where my head went too.
You are right it did. Frankly, the few "cheap" ones I've tried weren't worth even their low cost.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Nancy80 wrote:
Excellent point, but I've tried (wired) buds before and the helmet just mashed them into my ears to the point it was painful!
Semi-helpfully, I can identify a potential challenge with wireleds buds too:

I have Samsung Galaxy Buds2 pro buds.
In normal use, excellent fit, very comfortable to wear.

Noise cancellation is quite mild - not even close to the best full size noise cancelling headphones (e.g. Sony 1000-XM...etc.)

For helmet use: these buds are quite small, so they have enough room to be inside my helmet without any pressure. But, it is almost impossible to get them to stay in their place when putting the helmet (full-face) on.

So in case of wireless buds, this is a thing to watch out.
Samsung buds look like this, they are small.
Samsung buds look like this, they are small.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
I know you're not asking for a comms unit, but consider it bonus safety gear. If you go down, depending on the unit you have, you may be able to make an emergency call for help without removing your helmet. If you have a hands-free unit, you may not have to lift a finger to make the call. Food for thought.
mayorofnow wrote:
A Cardo is just a set of speakers like this plus a Bluetooth bridge. They sell the speakers separately.

I've had a couple Cardos die in the rain. Being able to hardwire the speakers to my phone with the audio extension cable that you can get at any electronics shop has been a saving grace on two separate tours. Now, I carry the extension cable when I tour, just in case.
The inaugural run with my Cardo Palktalk Edge was multiple hours in the rain. I noticed before I rode out that the charge port cover wasn't closed tightly. The visual difference between looking closed and truly sealed is very slight. Mayorofnow's issues may have had a different cause, but I double-check it before each ride to be safe. YMMV.

I wear foam earplugs to prevent the worsening of lifelong tinnitus, and the Cardo speakers have adequate volume, but I'm considering upgrading to the larger speakers to compensate. Without the earplugs, the sound is fantastic.

This is a basic comms unit that will allow you to listen to music, hear directions, take/make calls, and talk to one other rider.
https://www.cardosystems.com/shop/spirit/

Same as above with upgraded speakers
https://www.cardosystems.com/shop/spirit-hd/

The matching 2nd helmet kit (double check).
https://www.cardosystems.com/shop/freecom-spirit-2nd-helmet-kit/

Most can usually be found at a lower cost elsewhere. Revzilla/Cycle Gear currently has a few coupons floating around that might cover part of the tax or shipping.
@originalben avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300 - Rocinante

Hooked
@originalben avatar
2012 GTS 300 - Rocinante
UTC quote
Have used these for about a year.
Always connect, no dropped signals, good battery life, are comfortable in the ears and don't fallout when removing your helmet- which the previous Skullcandys did and one broke.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VVNRF6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
originalben wrote:
Always connect, no dropped signals, good battery life, are comfortable in the ears and don't fallout when removing your helmet- which the previous Skullcandys did and one broke.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VVNRF6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
My god they look like they'd hit the center of your brain!!
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Just discovered, unfortunately not yet tested myself:

Headwave 2.0 motorcycle helmet speaker: https://headwave.de/en/products/headwave_motorrad

Headwave 2.0 uses the helmet as a resonating body to provide a rich sound while riding a motorcycle. Headwave generates sound vibrations, which are transmitted to the helmet shell. The whole helmet vibrates. The result is impressive bass.
⚠️ Last edited by GermanGTSDriver on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
Just discovered, unfortunately not yet tested myself:

Headwave 2.0 motorcycle helmet speaker: https://headwave.de/en/products/headwave_motorrad

Heatwave 2.0 uses the helmet as a resonating body to provide a rich sound while riding a motorcycle. Headwave generates sound vibrations, which are transmitted to the helmet shell. The whole helmet vibrates. The result is impressive bass.
Super expensive.
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"
UTC quote
originalben wrote:

I like these! What do you do with the wire running between the earbuds? Just let it dangle around your neck or do you tuck it into the helmet? Also, can you use the mic while you're wearing your helmet?
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Sony SBH56 has worked well for me for over 5 years. It's a Bluetooth dongle, has proper buttons I can use while wearing gloves. It can also let you take operate the shutter button on your phone camera for taking selfies.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I have a uclear system which works great but is a bit pricey. I also have used my AirPods which can be a bit tricky to get your helmet over but if you can, they also work ok, at least in my opinion. The key is to keep the volume low enough to be able to hear what is going on around you. With my uclear I have a chubby button control so I can control them with gloves on, but again all this costs.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
LarryMK wrote:
I have a uclear system which works great but is a bit pricey. I also have used my AirPods which can be a bit tricky to get your helmet over but if you can, they also work ok, at least in my opinion. The key is to keep the volume low enough to be able to hear what is going on around you. With my uclear I have a chubby button control so I can control them with gloves on, but again all this costs.
Regarding getting you helmet over the AirPods, I have no problem getting my modular helmet over the AirPods. Open up the chin bar and pull the straps outward. It gives plenty of room to go over the AirPods. And, at least on my helmet, the AirPods fit into the cavity designed for bluetooth speakers so I feel no pressure on my ears.

Miguel
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Regarding getting you helmet over the AirPods, I have no problem getting my modular helmet over the AirPods. Open up the chin bar and pull the straps outward. It gives plenty of room to go over the AirPods. And, at least on my helmet, the AirPods fit into the cavity designed for bluetooth speakers so I feel no pressure on my ears.

Miguel
I agree I have used my AirPods when my uclear ran out of juice and they worked fine and even with the uclear earpieces they felt ok to me
larry
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
What do you consider "reasonably priced" to be?

I've been happy with the base model of either Sena (3S?) or Cardo (FreeComm 1+) and they cost around $90-$100. I have no interest in the comms part, but it's very nice to be able to control my audio without looking. The automatic volume control is wonderful when I turn off the highway onto city roads.

I tried earbuds, but I never could get my helmet on or off without dislodging them, usually painfully.
@gildod avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300

Hooked
@gildod avatar
2020 GTS 300
UTC quote
I got these and they are reasonably priced.
https://www.amazon.com/Intercom-Bluetooth-Motorcycle-Communication-Headset/dp/B094JY8XBN?th=1

I have not tried them yet, but I have friends who got them and they say for the price they are a steal. So I thought I would buy some, and see how they work.
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"
UTC quote
I've been watching this thread with interest. For my purposes, these are the winners! Thanks for pointing them out.
@originalben avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 GTS 300 - Rocinante

Hooked
@originalben avatar
2012 GTS 300 - Rocinante
UTC quote
Rickster333 wrote:
I like these! What do you do with the wire running between the earbuds? Just let it dangle around your neck or do you tuck it into the helmet? Also, can you use the mic while you're wearing your helmet?
They are comfortable and the cord just goes on the back of the neck.

Not really sure about the OP's comment about going to the 'center of the brain' as the form follows pretty well established ear plug design.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
Sony SBH56 has worked well for me for over 5 years. It's a Bluetooth dongle, has proper buttons I can use while wearing gloves. It can also let you take operate the shutter button on your phone camera for taking selfies.
I think I found them but can't see how they work with a helmet!
Please show us a picture how you do it?
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
You use the Sony Bluetooth dongle with whatever headphones you want. The dongle clips onto your clothes and has buttons.
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
I have some JBL Vibe 100 TWS earbuds normally reserved for the gym but if my BT helmet is too low a battery or I only want tunes/GPS in one ear, I'll throw one of them in and it stays in place but is seated deep enough that it doesn't have issues with the helmet going on over it.

properly-sized tips are essential for keeping things from popping out of your ear.

mostly though I just use the Sedici's onboard.
@holx avatar
UTC

2018 GTS 300 (12,000km), 2001 ET2 (26,000km)

@holx avatar
2018 GTS 300 (12,000km), 2001 ET2 (26,000km)
UTC quote
Please note that when you use AirPods or other wireless in-ear headphones, that there is a good chance of them falling out while removing a helmet.
I had a similar experience last year where I used a single AirPod to listen to GPS directions while riding, and by the time I reached my destination and parked my GTS, was completely unaware of the AirPod in my ear.
Then I took off my helmet, of course...

I realised what must have happened at the end of the day at home, too far/too late to go back. Never saw that costly little bugger again ...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0232s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0037s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]