OP
UTC

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc
UTC quote
hi guys,

I have a primavera from 2015 whose engine is dying while idling upon twisting the throttle. It's an intermittent problem and happens occasionally however, sometimes it happens more frequently than other times. It never happens when the engine is revving up, only when it's idling.

I've tried nudging cables and pipings to check for any loose contacts with no success. Could anyone point me in the right direction to start trouble shooting this issue?

Thanks,

Tonio
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
Start with the simple. my first thought is check for leaks in any and all hoses. check or replace spark plug. Adding a fuel system cleaner, check air filters. and on and on, there are soooo many things that will affect a motors idle.
OP
UTC

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc
UTC quote
thanks for that

What do you mean by fuel system cleaner? Are you referring to an in line filter?

Air filters have been replace in a recent service. I will replace the sparkplug
frank thomas wrote:
Start with the simple. my first thought is check for leaks in any and all hoses. check or replace spark plug. Adding a fuel system cleaner, check air filters. and on and on, there are soooo many things that will affect a motors idle.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
You can buy a liquid that you add into your fuel tank and it helps to clean the engine and fuel lines.

Sometimes these cleaners are often added as standard into the premium petrol you can buy (Shell V Power, BP Ultimate, Esso Supreme etc).

Once you've added one of these products, try and go for a long ride with lots of heavy acceleration.

Spark plug is cheap and easy to do. When you remove this, take a picture of the end of the old one and post it here. People can tell from how the spark plug looks, how the engine has been running.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
Spark plug is cheap and easy to do. When you remove this, take a picture of the end of the old one and post it here. People can tell from how the spark plug looks, how the engine has been running.
It's the bottom (away from the tip) of the 'white' insulator that's important to make judgement - just a side view only gives a hint.
OP
UTC

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc
UTC quote
I replaced the spark plug. Image of the old one attached. I'm not sure the picture is good enough but it looks a bit to black to me...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc
UTC quote
This one is more uplcose
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That is a dead plug. It has expired, it is no more. It also indicates the engine is running very rich. Replace.

I'd also immediately be checking and adjusting the air/fuel mixture and the idle stop-screw:

Turn up the idle so the engine is running freely, and adjust the A/F mixture to get maximum revs. Turn down the idle stop-screw to a normal idle, and double-check the A/F mixture is optimised. It may take a few goes to get it spot-on.
OP
UTC

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc

Primavera 4T 2014 150cc
UTC quote
I was told by the dealer once that these paramaters are only modifiable via software by a piaggio dealer. Are there real screws like the 2T models?
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
LX150
UTC quote
The A/F screw must be against the stop because that bike is running rich AF.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I'd assumed it's a carb'd model, my apologies if it's fuel injected.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
I'd try and run a new spark plug for a few hundred miles / km and then pull it out again to see its condition.

On a fuel injection, the Vespa should automatically adjust the fuel for the available air, but maybe it's worth putting a new air filter in - maybe the current one is too blocked?

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0148s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]