OP
UTC

LX 150

LX 150
UTC quote
Hello, I'm working on a friend's 2009 Lx150, and I was hoping to find some help here.

TL:DR: no spark on LX150, during Pick-up inspection found no continuity on CDI connector, checked for resistance on the flywheel connector. Pick-up resistance under appropriate values. I just wanted to ensure that I'm taking the measurements in a correct way.

The bike is carbureted, but also has an electric fuel pump. The bike was sitting for a good year plus. I replaced the battery, replaced the intake manifold since there was a rip on it, I cleaned the carburetor, syphoned and changed the old gas on the bike and replaced it with fresh gas. After that the bike did start very nicely. and then she sat on my garage for about a week. When I went to start her again, the bike would crank (turn over) but it wouldn't run.

Immobilizer seems to be working ok (turns on when the bike is switched to Off, turning the switch to ON makes the Led blinks once, then goes away)

I checked the spark plug, no spark. changed the spark plug. no spark.

Went to the manual they indicate that if no spark, to check continuity between terminal 2 (Green) and terminal 8 (Black) on the CDI connector. I found no continuity, so an open circuit.

The manual states that: "If an open circuit is found, repeat the inspection between the flywheel connector and earth. If unacceptable values are found, proceed by replacing the pick-up, otherwise repair the cable"

I tried measuring between the "flywheel connector" and earth, I'm just not sure if I'm doing this correctly and since the manual does not give clear instructions on how to do this, I wanted to check in the forums for some guidance, since people here seem not only really helpful, but also vastly knowledgeable on these machines.

I checked for the resistance in 2 ways 1. by touching the metal plate behind the Pickup and then the ground connection screw on the bike. 2. by touching the little spade connector for the pickup inside the flywheel connector, and then the same ground screw on the bike.

-The resistance consistently measured below acceptable levels-

I'm just looking for guidance before ordering anything, to make sure that I'm actually checking for the resistance in an appropriate way. Also, I don't think I've seen JUST the pickup for sale on the quick google searches I did, will I have to replace the whole stator?

I'm attaching pictures to illustrate.
Checked for continuity between terminals 2 and 8 on CDI connector
Checked for continuity between terminals 2 and 8 on CDI connector
Checked for resistance between the flywheel connector and earth, resistance Below acceptable levels.
Checked for resistance between the flywheel connector and earth, resistance Below acceptable levels.
Checked for resistance between pickup plate and ground. resistance Below acceptable levels
Checked for resistance between pickup plate and ground. resistance Below acceptable levels
⚠️ Last edited by lagartx3 on UTC; edited 1 time
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
The testing process looks correct to me. The method lined out in the FSM is fairly straightforward and definitive.

You are correct, the pick up is not available separately. Best repair is the whole assembly replacement.
UTC

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
UTC quote
Welcome to MV from New England, great first post, hope you get it sorted.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Don't be put off by resistance readings that seem to be somewhat low or high from the manual. If under half, or double, OK, very suspect. But +/- 20 to 30% is usually fine, especially if the measuring instrument type is undefined - a 20kohm analogue meter will read differently to a 1Mohm digital one, and the digital one (unless pretty high calibre) may not have a good zeroing procedure for low ohms readings.

A bad pickup will either be a high resistance (bad solder joint, easy to fix) or low resistance (possible shorted turn, in which case replacement is the only answer).
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
A complete brand new OEM Vespa stator will set you back about $50. Check the flywheel while you've got it apart. Piaggio has had issues with the plastic lining coming apart and locking up the motor.
OP
UTC

LX 150

LX 150
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
The testing process looks correct to me. The method lined out in the FSM is fairly straightforward and definitive.

You are correct, the pick up is not available separately. Best repair is the whole assembly replacement.
Thank you for your answer, and yeah, I looked for a while before I realized it.
I find it kind of funny how they don't mention that you need to change the whole assembly on the manual.
OP
UTC

LX 150

LX 150
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Don't be put off by resistance readings that seem to be somewhat low or high from the manual. If under half, or double, OK, very suspect. But +/- 20 to 30% is usually fine, especially if the measuring instrument type is undefined - a 20kohm analogue meter will read differently to a 1Mohm digital one, and the digital one (unless pretty high calibre) may not have a good zeroing procedure for low ohms readings.

A bad pickup will either be a high resistance (bad solder joint, easy to fix) or low resistance (possible shorted turn, in which case replacement is the only answer).
Hi Jimc thank you for your answer.

I considered that since the multimeter I use is an automatic one, (it's not really a cheapo, but it's not an expensive or particularly fancy unit) The measurements could be a bit off, but I consistently got very low readings: 5 Ohm, 2 Ohm, etc. Nothing higher than 8 Ohms. The manual indicates acceptable value for the Pick-up resistance to be around 105 - 125 Ohm.

I'm not sure how else to proceed from here besides with changing the stator, especially since the sparkplug itself and the Coil seem to be in working condition.

Any lead will be highly appreciated.
OP
UTC

LX 150

LX 150
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
A complete brand new OEM Vespa stator will set you back about $50. Check the flywheel while you've got it apart. Piaggio has had issues with the plastic lining coming apart and locking up the motor.
Hi Motovista thank you for replying.

I checked for them at SooterWest and they're runing for $85 right now. I would really appreciate it if you could direct me to the site where they are $50.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
lagartx3 wrote:
Hi Motovista thank you for replying.

I checked for them at SooterWest and they're runing for $85 right now. I would really appreciate it if you could direct me to the site where they are $50.
scooterpartsco ET stator
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
lagartx3 wrote:
Thank you for your answer, and yeah, I looked for a while before I realized it. I find it kind of funny how they don't mention that you need to change the whole assembly on the manual.
I think that they figure it's kind of part and parcel with new stuff that everything is compartmentalized and gets replaced as an assembly.

to that end of things, I will mention that ones I've replaced all seemingly failed on the source coil and not the pick up/sensor itself or the solder joints/wiring.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
lagartx3 wrote:
Hi Jimc thank you for your answer.

I considered that since the multimeter I use is an automatic one, (it's not really a cheapo, but it's not an expensive or particularly fancy unit) The measurements could be a bit off, but I consistently got very low readings: 5 Ohm, 2 Ohm, etc. Nothing higher than 8 Ohms. The manual indicates acceptable value for the Pick-up resistance to be around 105 - 125 Ohm.

I'm not sure how else to proceed from here besides with changing the stator, especially since the sparkplug itself and the Coil seem to be in working condition.

Any lead will be highly appreciated.
I have to say I've never been a fan of auto-ranging meters - it's all to easy to mistake what range they're really on, especially if taking lots of readings in succession when fault-finding.

When I find a measurement that indicates a fault, I usually quickly double-check with a different meter.

Your low resistance readings suggest to me that you're just measuring from frame to a short to frame somewhere in the wiring - the stator wiring isn't insulated at the internal connections.
⚠️ Last edited by jimc on UTC; edited 1 time
@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super
UTC quote
Scooterpartsco stator/pickup. This one indicates it is for LX150 and is the one I used recently for mine. Not sure if the one for ET listed above is entirely suitable. Same price.

https://scooterpartsco.com/080-roma-oem-c-801_3422/oem-stator-for-vespa-piaggio-aprilia-125-150-200-leader-p-28716.html
OP
UTC

LX 150

LX 150
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
Hey greasy125 Thank you so much for that info!! I ended up getting the stator and the Ignition coil with the cap, also what they call the variator nut, which as I understand is a 'safety' nut that need to be replaced every time it comes. the parts are on transit.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0079s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]