OP
@jackie_f avatar
UTC

2024 Vespa Sprint

@jackie_f avatar
2024 Vespa Sprint
UTC quote
Hello!

This has happened to me twice in 8 months. I hit a pothole and the bike's motor dies on me. The dashboard is still on. To get running, I used the key to turn it off and on.

This time, when I was able to go, I could smell gas but I'm chalking it up that I was going up a steep hill.

The common denominator for both is potholes, but not just any pothole. Unfortunately, I don't know which potholes will cause this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
My first thought is a loose connection that only an impact reveals. As to which connection is the cause, more knowledgeable than me will chime in shortly.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
Jackie F wrote:
The common denominator for both is potholes, but not just any pothole. Unfortunately, I don't know which potholes will cause this.
The potholes you hit. Try to avoid them.

Seriously, which of your scooters does this happen with?
Could be the spark plug wire is loose. Or, the bump might be pinching a wire or a hose. That's why the model of your scooter matters. Some have known pinch points that often cause problems.
UTC

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech
UTC quote
Perhaps you jarred a tipover switch hard enough that it killed the engine
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
apex wrote:
Perhaps you jarred a tipover switch hard enough that it killed the engine
That's what I was wondering and it's why I hate safety features on bikes.

When I was a student my ex gf and my best friend both had Honda CBR125Rs, both would cut out on them on the highway if they hit a bump. We eliminated the kick-stand safety switch that would kill the motors if the side stand went down while the bike was in gear. No more bike cutting out after big bumps.

We need to know which bike it happened on.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
I remember another member having a similar problem. It was caused by a short spark plug wire. When a big bump was hit, the suspension would compress farther than usual and the spark plug wire would stretch causing the engine to cut off.
⚠️ Last edited by caschnd1 on UTC; edited 1 time
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Possibly dodgy kill switch, loose ignition/key, loose battery connection.
Or spark plug boot or HT wire connection at either end.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I remember another member having a similar problem. It was caused by a short spark plug wire. When a big bump was hit, the suspension would compress farther than usual an the spark plug wire would stretch causing the engine to cut off.
Yep.
Follow this up.
O.S.
@obx_dude avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@obx_dude avatar
UTC quote
Wanted to chime in and say how helpful this forum is. The wealth of knowledge is quite impressive!
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
with all the abuse of my bike that I've done on very bad roads and stupid speeds, the tip over switch has never caused the engine to stop with out me actually dropping the bike. Seems to be very safe in this regard.

also my kill switch recently became really problematic BUT it did not stop the engine unless I was idling and then it would often stop me starting it again (red kill light often remained on for several seconds). never killed it when moving - suspect the ecu might ignore it when moving. thorough clean with electrical parts clean has fixed it for now.

so I strongly doubt those two suspicions mentioned above.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I remember another member having a similar problem. It was caused by a short spark plug wire. When a big bump was hit, the suspension would compress farther than usual and the spark plug wire would stretch causing the engine to cut off.
That was my first thought as well.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
I'd cracked an injector apparently from contacting the pet carrier on a bump, though that's unclear as it wasn't recent to the engine dying. This was my GTS, so YMMV depending on the bike.
OP
@jackie_f avatar
UTC

2024 Vespa Sprint

@jackie_f avatar
2024 Vespa Sprint
UTC quote
Thank you, everyone! My bike is a 2019 Primavera 150 Sport.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
That was my first thought as well.
Mine too.

About the comment
' To get running, I used the key to turn it off and on. '

Just to clarify: the engine cut off. After this, you turned the key to off, then back to on and then pressed the start button?
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
OBX Dude wrote:
Wanted to chime in and say how helpful this forum is. The wealth of knowledge is quite impressive!
Since 12th October 2005
OP
@jackie_f avatar
UTC

2024 Vespa Sprint

@jackie_f avatar
2024 Vespa Sprint
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
About the comment
' To get running, I used the key to turn it off and on. '

Just to clarify: the engine cut off. After this, you turned the key to off, then back to on and then pressed the start button?
Correct.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
Oh, and good starting point is of course to check that the spark plug cap is not loose. This would probably give other symptons too, but at least it is easy to cross over from the check list.

The very early modern Primaveras/Sprints had the habbit of cutting off randomly, mine was among these. Can't remember anymore what was the root cause, but it was fixed at dealers as a warranty fix and troubled only early models. So should not have anything to do with your scoot (in the case you stumble on such stories in the web). Also, it did not have anything to do with bumps
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
I'd cracked an injector apparently from contacting the pet carrier on a bump, though that's unclear as it wasn't recent to the engine dying. This was my GTS, so YMMV depending on the bike.
Same here, after hitting a crater with Melody (GTS #1) in Brooklyn a few years back. Thing was, the failure didn't completely "take" until a few months later, while on my way into Gotham via the New Jersey Turnpike, precisely the place you don't want your engine to suddenly cut out. Not saying that's the OP's issue here, but it wouldn't hurt to have the injector body looked over.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
OP: Did you need to turn the key off and back on or is that just a step you took? Asking because that's usually needed to reset the computer components (fuel pump, immobilizer, safety switches, ecu, etc) instead of mechanical (wiring, spark plug... you get the idea).

Have you tried, when it happens, just holding the brake and starting it without touching the key?
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
Had something similar to that with my bike, wasn't potholes it was rain too. If the bikes old and you drive it in all kinds of weather that engine cut off switch gets really really sensitive. Brought it into a mechanic like 4 times cause it would cut out temporarily at highway speeds and die when it was going under 40. One day I just lightly tapped the switch just put a tiny shock on it and that was it, was able to get the bike to cut out over and over again. It's a 2 dollar part too and sorta easy to put in
UTC

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3
UTC quote
I hit an awful pothole with my 2016 GTV last summer, the EFI/ASR light came on and the scoot immediately started running like garbage. I pulled over, turned it off and back on; the light went away and the scoot was running fine again. However, the EFI/ASR light started coming off and on intermittently over the next month, without any noticeable change in how the scooter was running.

My friend took a look and tinkered with the ASR sensor; it wasn't gapped properly. I assume hitting the massive pothole jarred it enough that is now JUUSSSSTTT out of the proper alignment-- it's not so "off" that it limits the throttle, but it's "off" by enough that it trips the sensor and the light comes on periodically.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0083s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0023s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]