@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
UTC quote
My 2006 GT200 just developed what I believe is a clutch noise. I found several threads about it, especially concerning the GT200. I bought it 6 years ago, with only 1800 miles. I went ahead and replaced the belt, and cleaned and sanded the clutch bell and shoes. Rode it to 12,000 miles with no problems. Replaced the belt and rollers, and again cleaned and sanded the clutch bell and shoes. Everything looked fine. 2000 miles later, at just over 14,000 miles, it started making a loud grinding noise on fast acceleration. Doesn't do it if I take off slow, and only does it for a second or so, when first taking off from a complete stop at or near full throttle. It doesn't do it while revving the engine while on the centerstand. Could be because without a load on it the clutch doesn't slip.

Pretty much everything I found said it was "dust" in the clutch bell, and to spray brake cleaner through the holes in the cover and clutch bell. I decided not to do that, I don't want to get brake cleaner on the belt, and especially into the greased bearings in the final drive pulley assembly. I did try compressed air, it didn't help.

I'm going to pull the cover off and have a look at everything. I'll clean and sand the clutch bell and shoes again. If that doesn't do it, I'm going to replace both the clutch and clutch bell.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
have you serviced the driven pulley components or only dressed the clutch shoes and bell?

if you haven't they're well overdue and that may be the cause of noise on engagement.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
What Greasy said. New grease, new o-rings and seals, and get the install tool.

This vid is helpful.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I assume you mean this
All I've done so far is put more grease on the inner bearings when I had the driven assembly off, change the final drive oil, sand the clutch shoes and clutch bell, and cleaned them with brake cleaner. I don't have the tools to completely rebuild the complete rear drive assembly. I would have to either buy all the tools, which I might never need again, send the whole thing in to Scooterwest and have them do it, or buy a whole new complete unit. Robot did mention 36,000 miles, I don't have even half that many miles. Everything feels smooth when I spread the rear pulley halves apart by hand. The clutch is not slipping, other than maybe just when it makes the noise. It accelerates great and easily holds 70+ mph on the road.
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Or just buy a new one. You can buy them all assembled with a new clutch for a few hundred.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
could also be a warped bell.

anyway, regardless of mileage I'd disassemble and check the springs and take the opportunity to upgrade to a malossi torsion controller while I was there. it might also have some lazy springs that need attention.

if you don't want to jump in, I'd suggest chamfering the clutch shoes and dressing everything back down again. I like to use 120 grit paper, that seems to give the best results.

if that doesn't yield a satisfactory result, a new malossi bell & clutch are only $150 or you can get a complete OEM unit for $250

oh, and you don't really *need* any special tools for the driven pulley work. but they do make life easier.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
200 bucks for the Complete Clutch and Pulley for Vespa GT 200

https://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=801_836&products_id=37172
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I've just decided to buy a whole new driven assembly, including a new clutch bell. I've already ordered it. I decided not to keep taking it apart and putting it back together, only to find the problem is still there. I could not find anything wrong. I hope to do a lot of riding in in the mountains in the northern part of AZ this summer, and I want a reliable scooter to do it on. I recently sold two of my motorcycles, so I have the money to spend on the Vespa. I got this scooter in literally like new condition, with under 2K miles on it for $2200. It has proven to be completely reliable over the past 7 years, and still has low mileage for what it is. I think it's worth spending a few hundred $$$ more on.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Ok, I have now replaced the entire rear pulley/clutch assembly and clutch bell, and gotten everything back together. The noise has stopped. So I guess that was it. But I still can't find anything wrong with the original parts. Plenty of material left on the clutch, nice and dry, clutch bell is not out of round or damaged, had only a very tiny amount of dust on it. Neither the clutch nor clutch bell were glazed. Nothing else found wrong. If it happens again I'm just going to ignore it as long as everything works ok.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
All I can say about this is that each of my three GTs have made that noise upon initial acceleration at times.

I was told that it was caused by dust in the clutch.

It usually went away after a long ride.

I have never replaced a clutch because of it.

And none are doing it now.

Bill
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Yeah, I found threads on here going all the way back to 2006 about this. It was supposedly a "known issue" with the GT200 even back when they were new. I just put the original rear driven assembly and clutch bell in my box of parts I'm collecting to help keep my GT going. I hope I can make it to the mileage you have reached. Thanks for the information.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
But I still can't find anything wrong with the original parts. Plenty of material left on the clutch, nice and dry, clutch bell is not out of round or damaged, had only a very tiny amount of dust on it. Neither the clutch nor clutch bell were glazed. Nothing else found wrong. If it happens again I'm just going to ignore it as long as everything works ok.
Doesn't sound like you pulled apart the driven pulley to see if there is any grease left or that it's old and crusty. Fresh grease and a new contra spring might have fixed the problem.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
No, I didn't. I did that on a Japanese scooter a long time ago (before I really understood how things worked) without the proper tools, and wound up damaging it. The tools and a rebuild kit would have cost as much as a new assembly. It only made noise for a second or so on acceleration from a stop, never while just riding. I opened and closed the pulleys by hand and they felt smooth. I still have the original parts, and at some point in the future I may get the tools and take everything apart. For right now I just wanted to fix it quickly and get back to riding it. I'm collecting some of the important parts for this scooter, so having an extra rear driven assembly is not a problem.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
No, I didn't. I did that on a Japanese scooter a long time ago (before I really understood how things worked) without the proper tools, and wound up damaging it. The tools and a rebuild kit would have cost as much as a new assembly. It only made noise for a second or so on acceleration from a stop, never while just riding. I opened and closed the pulleys by hand and they felt smooth. I still have the original parts, and at some point in the future I may get the tools and take everything apart. For right now I just wanted to fix it quickly and get back to riding it. I'm collecting some of the important parts for this scooter, so having an extra rear driven assembly is not a problem.
I had a 2108 Primavera that for the life of me I couldn't get rid of the driven pulley take off squelch.
I reviewed and re-reviewed every robot, youtube and MV tutorial on the subject, did the sanding of the clutch drum and shoes, cleaned the entire CVT spic and span many times, helped a bit for awhile.
Never took the driven pulley apart to check the grease but the pulleys were smooth as butter when I pulled them open and closed.

Finally gave up and bought a new driven pulley and clutch bell assy. Silence/perfection upon take offs.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Old
Old
New
New
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0193s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0124s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]