OP
UTC

Lurker
vespa s50 fly50

Lurker
vespa s50 fly50
UTC quote
Hello everyone! been reading the forums for years, but this is my first post.
i just picked up a 2010 S50-taormina orange! loving it so far.
the bike is in pretty good condition considering it's age , but does have usual scuff marks as well as light scratches.
wondering what products are recommended for this? also what is recommended for waxing or polishing?
i've been
riding a kitted fly50 for the last number of years and haven't these issues as the body is plastic 😀 ( and honestly i didn't care as much 😂)
also any kit recommendations for boosting the acceleration on 4 valve s50?
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
You can use a car wash soap to clean off most dirt. You can use Dawn dish soap , but that will remove any wax protection; it actually is a great way to get the body prepped for the next step.

For stubborn scuffs or paint transfer, I recommend using a clay bar. This step is intended to lift any contaminants remaining on the paint. Bug residue, tar, boot scuff, paint transfer, and industrial fallout all wind up there. If you've never used clay bar before, you'll be stunned with the results. There are plenty of videos online on how to use clay bar and it's pretty easy to use and widely available. Be liberal with the lubricant and stop to fold the clay bar often.

After claying the scoot, another wash to remove any clay residue, then a light polishing compound to remove light scratches. If you've never used a buffer, go with a light polishing compound to avoid paint damage. Deep heavy scratches are best left to the pros.

A good polish is followed by applying a quality car wax. After polishing, there should be nothing left to protect the top layer clear coat. The newer synthetic or ceramic waxes are easy to apply and buff and will last longer.

Meguairs, Mother's, Griot's and Chemical Guys all make great products. There are a lot of boutique products out there as well, but that is a much deeper rabbit hole.
UTC

vespa gts

vespa gts
UTC quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83WmMF0U8GM

use something before the wash mate.
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"
UTC quote
This one is extensive.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I've historically just used Simple Green Extreme, a rag, and a hose.

I don't have an apartment, so I don't have access to any of that now. Basically just renting my Vespa from myself while I'm in California and sleeping in random places.

The other day someone scuffed up my front fender. Not sure how, but it mostly passes the spit test (looks less bad if I spit on it and wipe, which is supposed to be an indicator for how much waxing could repair it). I wonder if I'll end up going that far one day.

So frustrating! Someone knocked it over years ago and scraped my front fender. Wasn't worth the insurance claim to get it fixed, but bothered me every time I looked at it. Someone cut me off and cracked my fender last year. I was elated that it got rid of the scratches, so you can imagine how I feel to see if scuffed again not too long later.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
If the scratches are shallow, they should polish out. If they're quite deep, then some companies do make coloured waxes which help to fill and hide some of the marks.

Also, make sure you don't put any tyre finishes on. They're too slippery for motorbike / scooter tyres and can be quite dangerous - I almost made this mistake once!
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Most folks who own PTW's tend to use similar products used for automobiles.
But like many Vespa and motorcycle owners, I use S100 as a detergent and cleaner across the body and engine bay. After hosing the vehicle down, I dry it off and use Harley wax. Sometime in October/November I apply ACF50 to be bottom and on the wheel rims and the belt cover to provide protection against rust.
Generally speaking cleaning with a soapy water and some elbow grease does the job fine as well.
Hope you get to get the Vespa cleaned up and sparkling... I know I have to do a deep clean and wax in the few weeks hopefully one of the weekends is warm and sunny.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I used car soap or even Dawn (hey, it cuts grease!) when I had my GTV, with microfiber cloths. A little dab of Scratch Doctor if necessary. I rarely did more than that, and it stayed sparkling.
OP
UTC

Lurker
vespa s50 fly50

Lurker
vespa s50 fly50
UTC quote
Thanks for the replies folks!!! much appreciated
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0166s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0064s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]