Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
The 50 came in May 2021.
The 150 in July 2021
The 300 in November 2022

I had a Honda 350 in1970 during college. Sold it in 1971 and never rode a motorcycle again. Until the Vespa 50 when I was 70.

2015 Primavera 50. At first it seemed heavy and awkward but fun for riding around town and beautiful. Took it apart. Added every accessory I could think of. The leg shield was off dozens of times.

2021 Sprint 150: The 50 was too slow and underpowered. We have local roads with 45mph speed limit. On the 50, I was in the way of traffic. I weigh about 70 kg.

The Sprint 150 was perfect. It was a racing 60's and I loved it. Its top of 60-65 was fast enough for all imaginable rides. It's flat here. It met all my needs. But in the back of my mind I wondered if I should have gotten the 300. Even though the 300 was more than I would ever need and heavy. I'll never ride on highways or interstate (I thought).

Then I fell in love with the 2016 Silver GTV 300. I looked high and low and thought I had one. Long story. Deal fell through. Got scammed.

2022 Sei Giorni HPE 300. It was beautiful to me. Cool and classic. 48 miles on it but in Texas, 1200 miles away from Naples,FL.

Bought it, had it shipped on Uship. Arrived without a single scratch.

It was powerful. Heavy on the center stand. Way more solid and stable while riding than the 150. I was scared I would drop it!

Then it happened. I agreed to a group ride with Vespa club of Ft Meyers. It was to be about 150 plus mile ride with mostly others on 300's. One guy had a 150. I was scared. Long ride, high speeds and a group riding fast. I left home that morning. It was windy. I considered bailing out but rode on.

The ride ended up being 250 miles with a good stop for lunch. All state highways. Mostly at 60 and 65MPH. I held on for dear life! But if I got behind at all, I just twisted the throttle and had plenty of power to effortlessly catch up.

Then we headed south towards home. I lived about 35 miles south of where the group met. I had been riding next to a guy on a 250 and as he lived south too, we both took the entrance to Interstate 75. It was Saturday afternoon and the traffic was light and we rode south for 50 miles at 75-80. Once I saw I was at 78 I decided Id better hit 80, just so I could I could say I did.

Looking back, that trip settled my anxiety and changed my relationship with the Sei Giorni. I have a very healthy respect for its power but I'm no longer afraid of it.

Looking back, I had some anxiety about each larger Vespa I bought. I think that is common. And the more I rode, the better it got. Most of you know this but many less experienced may not.

Ride on. Cheers
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
UTC quote
Nice post. Thanks for sharing your experience.
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Agreed! Inspirational. Thank you
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
And thought my 40 year break in riding was long! Wha? emoticon

Similar journey though I started with a 50cc MC and resumed on a 150. Stopped upscaling at my BV350, though can't decide if that, or my GTS is my sweet spot.
@jackp avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 300

@jackp avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Well we started out our journey in a similar fashion. My first road bike was a 73 Honda 350…man did I love that bike and still wish I had it. Then I went with the Hogs for many years, Harleys and Indians. Then as I got older I downsized and first bought a used GTS 250 and absolutely feel in love with Vespas. In 2018 I bought my current GTS 300 touring model brand new. BTW I'm only a couple of years younger than you. It's Vespa now and nothing more!
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Jackp wrote:
Well we started out our journey in a similar fashion. My first road bike was a 73 Honda 350…man did I love that bike and still wish I had it. Then I went with the Hogs for many years, Harleys and Indians. Then as I got older I downsized and first bought a used GTS 250 and absolutely feel in love with Vespas. In 2018 I bought my current GTS 300 touring model brand new. BTW I'm only a couple of years younger than you. It's Vespa now and nothing more!
I think you mean "nothing less"
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Nice write-up, thanks for sharing.
This sounds familiar too, although my gap was not quite so long.

Personally I've also found that my relationship with 2-wheelers seems to change over the years.

When I was young, it was mostly about speed and tricks . Always tuning the machines to gain top end, sometimes with success, sometimes less so...

Long wheelies was my special thing, as well as balancing a bike at stand-still/ low speed. I felt that I had naturally a good sense of balance and connection with a bike.

After my voluntary break (a kid, house building, lots of travelling because of work, other interests) I got a Sprint 125cc. Just for fun and occasional commuting.

Sprint was indeed fun and fullfilled my ambition to get a scoot one day. Soon I noticed that I missed the feeling of a 'motorcycle'....hard to say excatly what this is, probably mostly just familiarity with the feeling of gears, clutch, bigger wheeles etc.

I also noticed that I got a surprisingly strong call to off road , hence I swapped to Suzuki VanVan. Still just harmless fun, no major investment monetary or timewise.

Suzuki really re-vitalized my enjoyment to 2-wheelers. At the same time, I noticed how clumsy I'd become. Half-a-mile wheelies had changed to 15 feet wheelies (had to try, darn it was difficult ), low speed balance too required lots of effort an I was significantly slower in my reactions. My hearing was also not what it used to be, I often found myself slowering speed just to reduce the noise (I always wear ear plugs nowadays).

After a while, lazy, paved country roads became the best match with my current abilities and desires. So ended up with my current bike, a 1200cc Bonneville. Large engine, but I like it because of logomotive like, low revs torque, suits for a gentleman's riding style...it really is not very powerfull. Also, it is a low bike with neutral ergonomics, riding with it is not really that different from a 300GTS, except the Bonnie feels both clumsier and steadier.

I do make some effort to avoid fast roads, the same with dense traffic. Fast roads because I've grown to hate noise, prefer to have time to see surroundings rather than only traffic and because I'm very much aware of my lack of speed in reacting to anything sudden. Dense traffic because I've noticed that too often things happen around me without my acknowledgement - I seem to survive in traffic too much because of luck rather than because of my skills.

I just recently chatted with a fellow, who rides an old bike from early 50's...no front break, 'decorational' drum break at rear etc. He said well, that he and his bike-mates very, very seldom cause accidents by themselves, contrary to general statistics over here. This is because they ride those bikes like they were ment to be driven when they were new = slow, according to modern standards. I've adopted similar philosophy, with a realistic 'skills' factor of my own altough I have a modern bike.

I'll have to add that the very short riding season where I live playes a major factor here: because of our harsh and long winter, my riding window is ~ 5 months a year. Year by year it seems to be harder to maintain the riding skills.
@baudler avatar
UTC

Foiled
300 - 'Red' Primavera

Foiled
@baudler avatar
300 - 'Red' Primavera
UTC quote
Having lived in Naples for many years, I know the drivers and roads. I've had 150's and a 300 living there and while the 150 does fine, the 300 is way better. It's nice having extra power to squeeze out of situations.

The roads are so boring there though as almost everything is straight. I eventually tried dirt roads just to mix things up but the roads are sand and get sketchy fast.
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Baudler wrote:
Having lived in Naples for many years, I know the drivers and roads. I've had 150's and a 300 living there and while the 150 does fine, the 300 is way better. It's nice having extra power to squeeze out of situations.

The roads are so boring there though as almost everything is straight. I eventually tried dirt roads just to mix things up but the roads are sand and get sketchy fast.
Agreed about the roads. Same with Cycling here. However it is perpetual summer here and that makes up for the roads. I can ride nearly everyday of the year on my bicycle or Vespa, even if the roads are flat and straight. And I can ride to the beach or along the beach in 5-10 minutes. I'm from Minnesota, the land of snow and ice. I know about very short riding seasons.
@baudler avatar
UTC

Foiled
300 - 'Red' Primavera

Foiled
@baudler avatar
300 - 'Red' Primavera
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Agreed about the roads. I'm from Minnesota, the land of snow and ice. I know about very short riding seasons.
Small world.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
I like your 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie way better than the elusive 2016 silver swan you were chasing
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
I like your 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie way better than the elusive 2016 silver swan you were chasing
Thanks. Me too!
@jimscoot avatar
UTC

Addicted
PX 150

Addicted
@jimscoot avatar
PX 150
UTC quote
Strangely I went the other way starting off with big powerful dirt bikes, road bikes. Then more recently a 300GTS then an lx125 150 then a fully worked Zip two stroke 50cc.
I also have a heavily modified PX187.
I ride the Zip the most because it has the most fun factor and when doing rides with the bigger scooters it just easily out performs all of them.
I'm sure a lot can be done to the 300cc+ scooters to get more out of them but I think just the weight of them, for me, makes them cumbersome.
I fitted a Malossi kit to the LX150 and that was kind of fun for a while but nothing compares to a singing two stroke when the power band hits
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
To those of you who started with big bikes, that is fantastic. It may be that you can't even remember being nervous about riding a big powerful bike. My story must be pretty hard to relate to. But I was basically a motorized two wheel virgin when I started. I was nervous, even on the 50. But each time I rode, the nervousness got smaller, till it basically went away. Unfortunately, you can't judge your enjoyment of a bike until you have ridden it through the discomfort stage. Only then can you really judge the bike.

I get the impression that most folks here on MV are long past the nervous stage.

Great for you really. I'm so glad it is mainly behind me. I just want the newbies to understand its a stage that passes. And its a lot more fun when it does!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0180s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]