@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
I have a new GTS300, there are not many Vespa shops in my area, so I scheduled a service with dealer I purchased, but the earliest they had was July 10th. I have 347 miles, and chances are I will exceed 600 miles before July. Should I not worry if I am 75-100 miles past 600? Should I change the oil? I have no problem doing the change including the rear, but I just want the experts to check the scooter after break-in mileage. Thanks for your help...
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Paluss wrote:
Should I not worry if I am 75-100 miles past 600? Should I change the oil?
1. No
2. No, not necessary if service will done at 675/700mls (or a few miles more)

Check oil level regularly and top up if necessary!!!

How to check the engine oil level:

Cold (!) engine
Main stand
Absolutely level ground (front/rear AND right/left) -> best in garage
Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off, screw it in completely, unscrew it, read the oil level.

The slightest unevenness of the surface causes inaccuracy as well as not screwing in before reading (then 1cm of thread height is missing).

Make sure that the dipstick does not tilt when inserting it, it must slide in very easily, the risk that it breaks off is very high!

Incidentally, there is no checkcontroll for the oil LEVEL on the Vespa. In the cockpit is a icon for the oil PRESSURE, therefore check regularly, if necessary, oil pan with sight glass from the Buchsenfuchs.

How to top up:
Between min and max is roundabout 300ml, in total it is 1300ml.

I got a large syringe from the pharmacy (100ml) and put a gasoline-proof hose from the hardware store on it. The hose is just long enough that I can get to the bottom of the oil bottle and simply pull the syringe. So I can measure exactly for refilling and come easily to the opening behind the exhaust.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by GermanGTSDriver on UTC; edited 1 time
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
1. No
2. No, not necessary if service will done at 675/700 mls

Check oil level regularly!!!
In addition to this, just want to point out that you can have your cake and eat it too.

It's a good idea to have the first service done by the dealer. They know what to look out for and what might need initial adjustment.

However, you mentioned concern with waiting to change the oil and ability to change it yourself.

Why not just buy oil and filter, change your oil yourself, and have the dealer do whatever else is required for the first service? It'll save you some money on labor, get your oil change done right on time, and you won't have to worry about it.
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Thanks, for the responses. Yes, I thought about just changing both engine oil and filter, and rear and having dealer check and inspect everything else. Good ideas I may just do that, as they quoted me a price just south of $150 for the oil change, I had to smile at that....
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
Paluss wrote:
Thanks, for the responses. Yes, I thought about just changing both engine oil and filter, and rear and having dealer check and inspect everything else. Good ideas I may just do that, as they quoted me a price just south of $150 for the oil change, I had to smile at that....
Yes, then you are at the safe side.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Paluss wrote:
.... as they quoted me a price just south of $150 for the oil change, I had to smile at that....
a first service isn't just an oil change. and at 150, that's pretty much rate for a general service and probably less than most major metropolitan cities.

just wait till you hear the quote for the 12K
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
a first service isn't just an oil change. and at 150, that's pretty much rate for a general service and probably less than most major metropolitan cities.

just wait till you hear the quote for the 12K
I can hardly wait, but prices are cheap compared to the motorcycle world service....
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
I was about 10 miles too early for the my first service, and the dealer couldn't get the service spanner symbol to reset. They advised me to always go past the recommended mileage and never go early.

They were just round the corner, so I returned the next week and had it reset.

My first service was extremely involved. They even opened the engine and adjusted the valves, one of which was quite far out after the first 600 miles. My fuel economy made a noticeable jump following my service, which was quite nice as I was already impressed with it before the service!
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
I was about 10 miles too early for the my first service, and the dealer couldn't get the service spanner symbol to reset. They advised me to always go past the recommended mileage and never go early.

They were just round the corner, so I returned the next week and had it reset.
You are able to reset service icon yourself:
GTS 2019- : How to reset the wrench light on 2023 GTS ?
Primavera/Sprint with digital Cockpit:

RESET SERVICE INDICATOR
ignition switch to "ON
press the MODE button several times briefly (less than 0.5 seconds) to the RIGHT until "Battery".
Press MODE button to RIGHT for more than 10 seconds and less than 15 seconds.
JakeM wrote:
My first service was extremely involved. They even opened the engine and adjusted the valves, one of which was quite far out after the first 600 miles. My fuel economy made a noticeable jump following my service, which was quite nice as I was already impressed with it before the service!
No valve adjustment on OPs GTS 300 in 1000km/600mls service! The watercooled engines in the GTS needs first valve adjustment in 10.000km/6.000mls service!
@tinddu avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2022 gts 300 touring

Enthusiast
@tinddu avatar
2022 gts 300 touring
UTC quote
You can do the first service yourself, very easy! I you will have more connections with your vespa.just take your time.also warranty will not be affected, keep your record receipts and maybe few pictures. Good luck.
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, as I still work on my cars and motorcycle oil changes, brakes and brake fluid, filters, tire rotations, etc. I just like for the shop to inspect a new scooter for any abnormal things that I may not catch. After that I plan to do most of the maintenance myself, except for belt changes and valve adjustments.... Clap emoticon
@robalatte avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300's

Hooked
@robalatte avatar
GTS 300's
UTC quote
Well Put!!
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
1. No
2. No, not necessary if service will done at 675/700mls (or a few miles more)

Check oil level regularly and top up if necessary!!!

How to check the engine oil level:

Cold (!) engine
Main stand
Absolutely level ground (front/rear AND right/left) -> best in garage
Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off, screw it in completely, unscrew it, read the oil level.

The slightest unevenness of the surface causes inaccuracy as well as not screwing in before reading (then 1cm of thread height is missing).

Make sure that the dipstick does not tilt when inserting it, it must slide in very easily, the risk that it breaks off is very high!

Incidentally, there is no checkcontroll for the oil LEVEL on the Vespa. In the cockpit is a icon for the oil PRESSURE, therefore check regularly, if necessary, oil pan with sight glass from the Buchsenfuchs.

How to top up:
Between min and max is roundabout 300ml, in total it is 1300ml.

I got a large syringe from the pharmacy (100ml) and put a gasoline-proof hose from the hardware store on it. The hose is just long enough that I can get to the bottom of the oil bottle and simply pull the syringe. So I can measure exactly for refilling and come easily to the opening behind the exhaust.
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
thanks, I have checked the oil twice and level seems consistent, checked the rear drive once and it was fine. I have a syringe thingy, and one of those flexible funnels for pouring in the oil.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Paluss wrote:
I just like for the shop to inspect a new scooter for any abnormal things that I may not catch.
this is a great idea and why I generally recommend having a dealer or competent shop perform the first service. the oil change isn't that difficult really, but having a lot of product knowledge they will generally catch anything that is out of spec and correct it before it becomes a problem.
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Why not just buy oil and filter, change your oil yourself, and have the dealer do whatever else is required for the first service? It'll save you some money on labor, get your oil change done right on time, and you won't have to worry about it.
I just did that, also did the valve adjustment (not a Vespa - a different brand). Out of necessity really - they were fully booked (peak season), and I'd put so many miles on it that there was no way I'd have it in for its first service on time.

Dealer was very sympathetic, and they'll have my business next service with no quibbles. I did check in with them first out of politeness and I like to be honest and upfront about things.

Dealers can be a bit uneasy about it. That's understandable too - they'll have experiences of home mechanics who over-torque and strip threads, as well as installing things the wrong way. It's tough world where some people might blame you for mistakes that you didn't make, and it can make you cautious if your livelihood depends on it.
⚠️ Last edited by OscarSass on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Tip - if you ever intend to get the shop to look at your scoot sometimes, even though you normally work on it, ensure that every fastener that is meant to come undone easily has some anti-seize applied. This especially applies to those fasteners that are seldom touched - brake caliper pins (the screw-in ones) etc.

They will thank you.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
adri wrote:
How is changing your own oil prior to taking a scooter in for it's first service going to save you money on labor?
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
How is changing your own oil prior to taking a scooter in for it's first service going to save you money on labor?
Because it's one less thing they have to do.
How is this a question? Lol

I recently had my BMW looked at top to bottom before I'm shipping it overseas to ride across Italy. I told the dealer what things to skip because I had done them myself. It kept their time to a minimum and thus my cost down.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
Paluss wrote:
Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, as I still work on my cars and motorcycle oil changes, brakes and brake fluid, filters, tire rotations, etc. I just like for the shop to inspect a new scooter for any abnormal things that I may not catch. After that I plan to do most of the maintenance myself, except for belt changes and valve adjustments.... Clap emoticon
Also consider the warranty:

"All new Vespa/Piaggio scooters come with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty (2014 and newer). There are no mileage restrictions, the 24 months begins on the day of purchase, and the scooter must be taken to an authorized Vespa dealer to claim warranty work for defective or faulty parts.

To keep your warranty valid, you must follow the servicing schedule as outlined in the warranty manual, including the 1200km break-in service. The warranty is transferable in the event the scooter is privately sold. The servicing must be done at an authorized Vespa dealer
" https://www.vespametro.com/warranty
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
Also consider the warranty:

"All new Vespa/Piaggio scooters come with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty (2014 and newer). There are no mileage restrictions, the 24 months begins on the day of purchase, and the scooter must be taken to an authorized Vespa dealer to claim warranty work for defective or faulty parts.

To keep your warranty valid, you must follow the servicing schedule as outlined in the warranty manual, including the 1200km break-in service. The warranty is transferable in the event the scooter is privately sold. The servicing must be done at an authorized Vespa dealer
" https://www.vespametro.com/warranty
That doesn't apply everywhere, and certainly not in the US, where the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act trumps any 'dealer' or 'manufacturer' restrictions on the warranty.
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
That doesn't apply everywhere, and certainly not in the US, where the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act trumps any 'dealer' or 'manufacturer' restrictions on the warranty.
Correct, you need to follow the maintenance schedule, but the work does-not have to be done by a Vespa Dealer, just keep your receipts and records....
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
OK, I did not know that dealer restriction does not apply for the US. Something learned.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
OK, I did not know that dealer restriction does not apply for the US. Something learned.
And in the UK (from personal experience) if you buy the parts from your local dealer but install yourself they'll normally be quite happy to enter the service as 'done' in Piaggio's database.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Because it's one less thing they have to do.
How is this a question? Lol

I recently had my BMW looked at top to bottom before I'm shipping it overseas to ride across Italy. I told the dealer what things to skip because I had done them myself. It kept their time to a minimum and thus my cost down.
While this is an interesting anecdote, having an older BMW inspected is not quite the same as having a first service done. The dealership charges a certain fee for this service, and doesn't discount based on what you say you've done already. It's sort of like taking a plate and fork into a restaurant and asking for a discount because you brought your own utensils and they won't have to wash them after you eat. It costs them more time and money to figure out what to take off the bill than it would to just ignore you and charge you what they are going to charge anyway, especially when the weather is nice.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
While this is an interesting anecdote, having an older BMW inspected is not quite the same as having a first service done. The dealership charges a certain fee for this service, and doesn't discount based on what you say you've done already. It's sort of like taking a plate and fork into a restaurant and asking for a discount because you brought your own utensils and they won't have to wash them after you eat. It costs them more time and money to figure out what to take off the bill than it would to just ignore you and charge you what they are going to charge anyway, especially when the weather is nice.
I know that dealers in the US charge by the 'book time' - but elsewhere (certainly in the UK and possibly in Canada) they charge either to what they've quoted, or by the actual time taken, depending.

Apples and oranges again...
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I know that dealers in the US charge by the 'book time' - but elsewhere (certainly in the UK and possibly in Canada) they charge either to what they've quoted, or by the actual time taken, depending.

Apples and oranges again...
Yes, we get charged by the actual time a job takes, for better or worse, because fairness and consumer protection isn't just lip service.

So a service, any service, 600 miles or 6,000 miles, will have a list of things in the periodic maintenance chart to be Inspected/Cleaned/Replaced/Adjusted...

All you do is tell the shop what you've already done yourself. Often saves $100+ for an hour's work.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Mmm, no, not at all. More like ordering and dinner and drinks but letting the server know you'll be skipping appetizers and dessert because you already had some cake at home.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
And in the UK (from personal experience) if you buy the parts from your local dealer but install yourself they'll normally be quite happy to enter the service as 'done' in Piaggio's database.
Interesting how these vary from country to country.

Our local laws (following EU guideliness) also rule that service can take place elsewhere than at brand specific dealers, yet the manufacturer's warranty will remain.

However, 'home garage' does not count over here. If services during warranty period have not done both according to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule AND by a ' trade registered' (not an official term,but you'll get the meaning) service profider the warranty does not apply.

Dealers have responded to the competition smartly: they offer extended warranties if you'll use their service. Coverage/time period or both.

I have a special case - my neighbour is a head of service at my local multi brand dealer, so I get pampered with a level of service that leaves no room for other options😬.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0204s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0135s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]