OP
@beachdrive avatar
UTC

2013 LX50

@beachdrive avatar
2013 LX50
UTC quote
Hi all, recently I moved from BC to Newfoundland (in Canada). I had my 2013 LX50 sent over in a trailer with the rest of our belongings. Unfortunately, it arrived quite damaged; I'm not sure exactly what happened but it's pretty banged up. The driver is being very cooperative and offered to pay to make it right, though doesn't want to go through insurance. We have a good working relationship and I believe he'll do what he says.

Being that there are no Vespa dealerships in Newfoundland, my options thus far are:

1. Order a new shell from dealer in New Brunswick (coming from Italy). Should arrive roughly September. Have it shipped to Newfoundland and installed. This will probably run $1800-$2000 or so.

2. Have a local body shop try to fix it. Will probably be at least $1500, likely more, and I'm not sure how fixable it is without replacing parts.

3. Ask driver to give me replacement cost ($2500).

If there are other options, I'm all ears. I'm heartbroken about this, very attached to my Vespa, it's worth more than just the cost to me, and also know that it may not be worthwhile to throw a bunch of money after a 10 year old scoot that's been damaged.

Any thoughts? Opinions? I really am at a loss of what to do.
Damage
Damage
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
BeachDrive wrote:
Being that there are no Vespa dealerships in Newfoundland, my options thus far are:

1. Order a new shell from dealer in New Brunswick (coming from Italy). Should arrive roughly September. Have it shipped to Newfoundland and installed. This will probably run $1800-$2000 or so.

2. Have a local body shop try to fix it. Will probably be at least $1500, likely more, and I'm not sure how fixable it is without replacing parts.

3. Ask driver to give me replacement cost ($2500).

If there are other options, I'm all ears. I'm heartbroken about this, very attached to my Vespa, it's worth more than just the cost to me, and also know that it may not be worthwhile to throw a bunch of money after a 10 year old scoot that's been damaged.

Any thoughts? Opinions? I really am at a loss of what to do.
I think you are very optimistic as far as #1. A new frame would need to be purchased, shipped to you, painted, and then every nut bolt and wire would need to be removed from the old Vespa and put on the new one. That's hours and hours of work. The odds are that if someone says the item is out of stock and they have to order it from Italy, it's going to cost a lot more than what you are initially quoted, due to the freight cost of shipping it to Newfoundland.

Option 2 is probably your best bet in terms of getting the driver to pay for it.

Option 3 is only good if the driver has $2500 to give you for your Vespa. My guess is that the driver has no idea what these bikes are worth. And if he consults any resale value guide, he's going to want to give you less than you think it's worth.

Option 4 is to find another one to replace this one, sell this one as is/where is, then bill the driver for the difference. That's probably the most "fair", if you can find another one similar to what you have.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
is the top of the headset/headlight damaged too?

jeebus. that's rough.

here in socal that would easily be 2500+ on repair

insurance will total that right out, no questions.

be prepared, because they will absolutely swallow their tongues at repair cost. I would steer away from a reframe, which honestly I don't think this necessitates.

I'd say take the 2500ish and get it repaired local. if you can do the basics of R&R'ing the body work this really isn't a massive undertaking.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I am very sorry for you! The beautiful Vespa looks really bad.

Unfortunately, your photo is not 100% sharp, but I see the following damage:

Frame (side cheek and sill)
End strip side jaw
Running board + trim
Glove box
Bumper

Do you have all these parts (replacement or paint) in your calculation?
Are there any other parts damaged (handlebars, grips, brake levers, mirrors, trim, etc.)?

Is your calculation in US$ or CAN$?

I can not say anything about the prices in the USA. An unpainted frame for an LX costs 770€ (850 US$) in Germany, the footboard 170€ (185$). The parts, paint, and labor together would be more than the value of the vehicle in our country, so repairing it would be uneconomical.

Can you do it yourself?

Furthermore: Does it start? Is the handlebar free? Can you drive it?

I also once had transport damage to a Vespa. The carrier also preferred to solve it without insurance. Unfortunately, I quickly found out why: he didn't have any insurance... when he realized what a repair would cost, the initial cooperation was quickly over. I keep my fingers crossed that this will turn out well. It cost me some nerves.
⚠️ Last edited by GermanGTSDriver on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@beachdrive avatar
UTC

2013 LX50

@beachdrive avatar
2013 LX50
UTC quote
Thank you for your responses!

All prices in CAD btw.

Motovista, the shop in New Brunswick said a new shell is $800. They recently installed one and the labour was $700. This is where I'm getting the $1800-2000 estimate, allowing for some shipping/variance in price. I told the driver that I paid $2500 for it, so he is aware of that number - not that he is necessarily willing to pay it, but I have not asked him directly yet. I like your option number 4 of finding a replacement.

greasy125, there is some minor damage on the top of the headlight. A couple small scratches there were my own doing, prior to transport. The mirrors were taken off for transport and I have them safe. I'm not at all experienced in vehicle repair but it could be an educational project if the materials were mostly paid for. Pardon my ignorance, but by reframe, do you mean replacing the body?

GermanGTSDriver, I think you are correct in your assessment of the damage. I haven't actually started it yet but may try tomorrow. The handlebar appears to be just fine. When I spoke with the dealer, they said for this model, they cannot order individual parts (for the body), they have to get the entire thing (an "eggshell"), which is $800 CAD (plus installation, plus some shipping). I do not know how how to repair this but would consider it as a project.

Overall it does seem like repairing it will cost roughly the same as the Vespa itself.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
The characteristic and unique feature of the Vespa, a self-supporting steel sheet body (see picture, you call it "shell"), is the biggest problem in case of damage. If the frame is damaged (e.g. warped or stabilizing parts buckled), then high costs follow.

If only the side cheek is dented, it is not necessarily a total loss. You can dent it or leave it as it is. As has already been written: in addition to the parts, the replacement of the frame (reframing) also involves painting and all the work. I think a new frame on a 10 year old vehicle (LX) is pointless.

Even if you can save the frame (dent removal, filling, painting) the cost of this plus the parts such as footboard, handlebar fairing, etc. will exceed the value.
One part from leg shield to tail
One part from leg shield to tail
OP
@beachdrive avatar
UTC

2013 LX50

@beachdrive avatar
2013 LX50
UTC quote
I just went out to see if it started and the engine turns over but doesn't start. There is no gas however so that is potentially why!

However, I did notice that the left brake lever has snapped clean off. Feeling less and less optimistic about fixing her.
Left brake lever
Left brake lever
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I told the driver that I paid $2500 for it, so he is aware of that number - not that he is necessarily willing to pay it, but I have not asked him directly yet.
I can spare you the surprise ending: he's not going to pay it.

people think these are toys. they'll offer you $500 because that's what it cost to fix the crash damages on their aunt's boyfriend's sister's son's 2002 Honda Element eight and a half years ago.

from what I can see you're looking at easily 1K in parts and labor. and that's just what is presented in this photo, which means there's certainly more. so take that number and tack on whatever the bodyshop wants to charge.

if you're having a shop do the work, this is all a moot point. they have their own labor rates and pricing schedule.

so, if you are having a scooter shop do this work, roll it over there and have them supply you with a comprehensive written estimate. you will most likely have to pay for that, as well as transport to the shop seeing as the rear brake is inop.

tally all that together and hit the transpo company with that number. if they squawk, take it to their insurance.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0146s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0042s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]