@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
My attempt at being a moto-hobo ran head-first into some disability- and camping-related issues, so I'm looking at getting a truck and trailer.
I...have never had nor used a caravan before. In the world of "bigger better faster more," I'm the oddball who prefers "tiny but fierce." Laughing emoticon The only people I know in person who might have relatable experience decided to go off social media a few years ago, so I figured it might help to ask some of the fine MV folks here for your thoughts.

I'm currently looking at towing a Forest River Wolf Pup 18RJB with a Nissan Frontier. Thoughts or advice, either specific or general? I do NOT plan on sticking to full-hookup private RV parks (I refuse to call them campgrounds).

Lords of Kobal, I'm about to turn my bike into a trailer queen.... Facepalm emoticon Laughing emoticon
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Just get a VW Westfalia.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
I can vouch for the Nissan Frontier. I have a 2007 (bought new) that is still going strong. Handles extremely well.

Not sure if your trailer candidate falls within the acceptable towing limits or not -- definitely going to need to check that thoroughly. The tongue weight limit for the Frontier, in particular, will probably be about 500 pounds (depending on which generation Frontier we're talking about).

You might be pushing very close to the limit on towing capacity, which is never a good place to be.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
2006 F150, Harley-Davidson Edition, over 300,000 km and going strong. Motorcycle lift + A-Liner A-Frame trailer.
My setup. Easy peasy.
My setup. Easy peasy.
OP
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
It's a 2013 Frontier v6, towing capacity is roughly 6100lbs, hitch limit 610, payload 1200. (I say "roughly"...it could be higher but I went with the lowest number I was certain of.)
The GVWR of the caravan is listed as a pound under 5000, unweighted is listed at under 3500. I PLAN on keeping the load light but on paper, I'm calculating weight as though I still have all the bad packing habits of "what if." If (that's a BIG if...hah) my math's right, that puts me in the ballpark of 80% tow capacity.

Here's the link to the caravan: https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/wolf-pup/18RJB/6638

The plan is for this to be "home" for the next year or few.
OP
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
VW Westfalia...oh, I wish! I had looked into either a camper van or doing a van conversion, but the available options within any stretch of reasonable distance (<400 miles) is $$$$ .

I'm getting the truck from a relative, so that aspect is "in stone." Five foot truck bed...not enough room for a bike.

Edit to add: I appreciate the responses. This is uncharted territory for me. Here's to...not screwing it up! 😅
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
It's a 2013 Frontier v6, towing capacity is roughly 6100lbs, hitch limit 610, payload 1200. (I say "roughly"...it could be higher but I went with the lowest number I was certain of.)
I have a '13. Towing capacity is 6500 lbs...if it's a 2WD king cab and a manual. Capacity drops markedly if it's a 4WD, crew cab and/or automatic.

Still, they can handle a lot of crap. Mine's been asked to haul 3/4 ton more than once and then I haul scoots often enough.
Might be time for HD leaf springs and to put in those Bilsteins...
Might be time for HD leaf springs and to put in those Bilsteins...
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
That looks like a good option for a one-2 person set up. With just one bike in it you should be able to use the trailer without having to unload the bike every time you stop.
OP
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
That looks like a good option for a one-2 person set up. With just one bike in it you should be able to use the trailer without having to unload the bike every time you stop.
That's one of the reasons I chose this model! When I was attempting moto-only, I had to use a motel way more often than I was comfortable with because the campground was either full, closed, or too far for one day's riding. I want to be able to crash for a night at a rest stop or in a parking lot.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
I want to be able to crash for a night at a rest stop or in a parking lot.
And BLM, Harvest Host etc. Loads of very pleasant free choices around without the noise and possible 'shadiness' of parking lots etc.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
I have a '13. Towing capacity is 6500 lbs...if it's a 2WD king cab and a manual. Capacity drops markedly if it's a 4WD, crew cab and/or automatic.

Still, they can handle a lot of crap. Mine's been asked to haul 3/4 ton more than once and then I haul scoots often enough.
Time for the front mounted scooter hauler! Clap emoticon nice work
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0093s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0034s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]