OP
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
 
Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
UTC quote
I found someone selling a nice 2022 Primavera 50 with just over 600 miles for a descent price. I wasn't really looking for a 50cc but it caught my attention.

The first service has not been performed. There are about 8 months left on the warranty.

I can change the fluids myself. I don't have the manual. Is there much else on the 600 mile service? Do valves need to be checked?

Not opposed to having my dealer do it, but it's just a pain to get the scooter there and they are about 2 weeks backed up.

I already have a GTS 300 and LX 150. Will I regret adding a 50cc Vespa?
Thanks in advance.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1074
Location: Germany
 
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1074
Location: Germany
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
Do valves need to be checked?

Yes
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 838
Location: Naples Florida USA
 
Addicted
@billrush avatar
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 838
Location: Naples Florida USA
UTC quote
I had a 2015 primavera 50 I bought used. My Vespa dealer is 10 miles away. They said they did not check the valves because they said when they did, they never needed adjustment and customers objected to the charge. As the machine ran perfectly, I did not have them adjusted. Pretty sure I asked here as well.

Of course, I'm not telling you what to do, just giving you my experience.
OP
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
 
Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
I already have a GTS 300 and LX 150. Will I regret adding a 50cc Vespa?

I guess this is my biggest question.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4279
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4279
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
I already have a GTS 300 and LX 150. Will I regret adding a 50cc Vespa?
Unless you have a specific reason for having a 50cc, I don't see any reason to get it. Possible reasons might be: 1. fuel economy -- but that's a marginal improvement over your other scooters, 2. "Moped" parking -- for example if you regularly ride into a city where 50cc bikes are allowed to park on sidewalks, 3. a ride for a visiting friend -- who doesn't have a motorcycle license. These might be valid reasons where I live in Minneapolis -- but caution -- Vespa 50's here might not qualify as "mopeds" or "motor driven cycles" by reason of their horsepower. You'd have to check your local laws.

Otherwise, why pay for another bike of limited use when you have two other scooters?
OP
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
 
Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Unless you have a specific reason for having a 50cc, I don't see any reason to get it. Possible reasons might be: 1. fuel economy -- but that's a marginal improvement over your other scooters, 2. "Moped" parking -- for example if you regularly ride into a city where 50cc bikes are allowed to park on sidewalks, 3. a ride for a visiting friend -- who doesn't have a motorcycle license. These might be valid reasons where I live in Minneapolis -- but caution -- Vespa 50's here might not qualify as "mopeds" or "motor driven cycles" by reason of their horsepower. You'd have to check your local laws.

Otherwise, why pay for another bike of limited use when you have two other scooters?
Very good response. I'm trying to justify it myself. I wasn't really looking for a 50cc, but this Vespa caught my eye and it's local. It's like new and has a top box and pad at a descent price. I guess it would be just to add variety to the garage and have something for someone else to use that doesn't have a MC license. Not really very good reasons though.

I don't know if a 50cc adds too much to the fun factor. I've never had one.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4279
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4279
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
I don't know if a 50cc adds too much to the fun factor. I've never had one.
Well, of course a 50cc is fun. But whether it adds anything that your 300 and 150 don't have is the question. It's up to you -- maybe variety in the garage and another choice to ride are good enough reasons.

Ride safe & have fun!
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10347
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10347
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Put that money into a big bore kit for your 150.
OP
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
 
Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Put that money into a big bore kit for your 150.
Thanks. I'm good with the GTS.
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 838
Location: Naples Florida USA
 
Addicted
@billrush avatar
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 838
Location: Naples Florida USA
UTC quote
I once had both a 50 and 150. I never rode the 50. The 150 was nimble and had enough power for me to keep up on non highway roads. The only use for the 50 might have been to allow a visitor to use it. For safety reasons, letting a friend with no experience ride the 50 seemed like a bad idea*. So the 50 just sat there taking up space while the battery declined. Sold it!



*I have decided only to ride with safety pants, jacket, gloves, and full face helmet. How can I have anyone else ride my 50 with less. I know not everyone does the same
OP
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
 
Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 857
Location: Jupiter, Florida
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
I once had both a 50 and 150. I never rode the 50. The 150 was nimble and had enough power for me to keep up on non highway roads. The only use for the 50 might have been to allow a visitor to use it. For safety reasons, letting a friend with no experience ride the 50 seemed like a bad idea*. So the 50 just sat there taking up space while the battery declined. Sold it!



*I have decided only to ride with safety pants, jacket, gloves, and full face helmet. How can I have anyone else ride my 50 with less. I know not everyone does the same
Nice post. These are becoming my thoughts also.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0135s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]