OP
UTC

Hooked
2008 S150, 2012 GTS 300, 2002 R1150R

Hooked
2008 S150, 2012 GTS 300, 2002 R1150R
UTC quote
Several months ago, bleeding was not an issue. But now, about 3 months after major surgery, I have about 3 more months to go taking clopidogrel (Plavix), an anti-platelet agent. While working around the garage and yard, I've noticed that it does work! Minor scratches or cuts do bleed, noticeably, and bandaids are needed instead of just shrugging them off.

So, the Vespas and the BMW R1150R remain in the garage. The risk of a fall and resultant internal bleeding, wherever, have caused me, at least temporarily, to not ride. In several months, this likely won't be an issue, since I don't anticipate being on an anticoagulant.

So, with our community here with, I suspect, the average age being somewhat north of 50 or so, some of you may have had to face this as well. For DVT or stroke prophylaxis, the factor Xa inhibitors are fairly common these days (apixaban - Eliquis, rivaroxaban - Xarelto, or maybe dabigatran - Pradaxa), and it takes 2 days or so for those effects to wear off after stopping the med. Then there's the old standby, warfarin, or Coumadin, affecting various points along the coagulation cascade, and taking several days for bleeding times to become more normal after stopping it.

Not asking for anybody's individual personal medical history. But our risk of riding two wheels is higher anyway. Any unforeseen accident (aren't they all?) can have side-effects for those on anticoagulation, which, I think, can greatly increase the possibility of complications.

So at least for now, my usual do-it-anyway attitude has been curtailed.

I'll bet that more than a few of you have had to think about these things.
@halijaro avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'99 PX200 & GTS300 HPE SuperSport

Molto Verboso
@halijaro avatar
'99 PX200 & GTS300 HPE SuperSport
UTC quote
I had a 6 month course of anticoagulants a couple of years ago after chemotherapy left me with pulmonary embolism and DVT. This coincided with summer after a winter and spring filled with cancer treatment. I always ride defensively and well protected, but bought Kevlar jeans to complete the kit because I had to go out and ride. With hindsight, I probably shouldn't have, but at the time the considerable benefits to my mental health outweighed the risk.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
Because I have a chronically irregular heart rhythm, my cardiologist prescribed Eliquis and suggested I consider having something called a Watchman installed in my heart. He claimed with the gizmo I would be able to get by without the anti-coagulant. I read up about it and it is more invasive than I was prepared to accept, so for now I said no.

There seems to be no dramatic increase in my bleeding times. I do ride daily. Maybe it's risky, I hope I don't find out. If you are concerned and you know the anti-coagulant will be stopping in a few months, I'd say take a beak for that time. With A-fibb the need for anti-coagulant is lifelong.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
In the wake of The Wreck of Thelonica in February, and several surgical procedures later, I'm still physically on the mend, but doing rather well. One effect of the crash was the discovery of minor blood clots in my upper lungs - nothing alarming, but an additional reason for my surgeon to have me on a blood thinner (Eliquis) for at least six months. Since I don't expect to be walking normally for another few months, let alone entertaining the idea of riding anything on two wheels (with or without an engine, BTW), it's a bit of a moot point, although when I asked if it was permissible for me to go back to wetshaving with a double-edge razor while I'm in Rehab for another week, I was gently advised to hold off for a bit and stick to the janky Norelco I reluctantly bought as a stand-in. (Sorry, folks, after years of shaving with a single blade, anything electric sucks harder than Saggitarius A*.) Have to watch it with my assortment of power tools and the usual kitchen cutlery. Good thing Tapper the Wonder Cat is generally mild-mannered.
Mild-Mannered Tux: Might not let him do the pirate-perch for a while, though. (Note: photo is from last year.)
Mild-Mannered Tux: Might not let him do the pirate-perch for a while, though. (Note: photo is from last year.)
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
I am a bit more pragmatic: it's entirely a risk issue. I'm assuming you're ATGAT? You weigh the pleasure of riding against the possible consequences of an accident. If you think its likely that you are going to get smoked or fall off your scoot, maybe pursue a different hobby? Your risk assessment is therefore towards the no-ride downside. It's certainly true that the injuries you can get are not just limited to bleeding and certainly age is a factor; it took long enough for my clavicle to heal and the pain and pain killers are definitely an issue but that is a factor in your own assessment.

As the previous posters have stated, riding was good for their mental health so their assessment was skewed that way. Those are people who are entirely devoted to their hobby and their risk assessment was done long ago.

If you have decided to ride, mitigate your risk. Stay out of traffic, change your route, go at quiet times, never ride after intoxicants including medications.

"When you're out on your bike at night, wear white." Mick Jagger.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
In the wake of The Wreck of Thelonica in February, and several surgical procedures later, I'm still physically on the mend, but doing rather well.
It's nice to see you upright!

As far as living with thin blood, always have a hemostatic agent or dressing on hand to control bleeding. There are several over-the-counter options, along with emergency first aid kits to choose from.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
It's nice to see you upright!

As far as living with thin blood, always have a hemostatic agent or dressing on hand to control bleeding. There are several over-the-counter options, along with emergency first aid kits to choose from.
Ah, should've mentioned: that snap is from last year. I'm mostly upright at the moment, but about month or two from wheelchair-and-walker status.[/i]
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Ah, should've mentioned: that snap is from last year. I'm mostly upright at the moment but about a month or two from wheelchair-and-walker status.
At least you're improving! Sometimes that's all we can ask for.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
I'm recovering from my second DVT. The first one was about 12 years ago after I got my right leg squashed between the scooter and a protruding car front tire. They put me on rat poison (Warfarin) that time, but I kept on riding despite warnings about brain bleeds.

This time (about a month ago) I don't recall any trauma, but got a clot in the same spot again regardless. Eliquis this time, thank goodness. Haven't been riding so far this spring, but I'm in the process of ordering parts to give both Vespas some much needed maintenance. Once that is done, I'll be back in the saddle again.

Damn the torpedoes!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0144s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]