OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
Hi, I'm planning to buy a top case but would not get the original Vespa because it is expensive, not so big and has low build quality. I have a 2023 GTS 300 Super in white.

My choice for now is to get the E370 to accomodate my modular Nolan N90.2 Xl size. But then I started thinking that my passenger has an N90.2 too (L size) and storing both in the top case would be nice, but for doing so the top case would probably be too big (for example the new Monolock E46 Riviera https://www.givi.it/prodotti-givi/bauletti-moto-e-scooter/bauletti-in-plastica/e46-riviera or something similar )

What do you think would be a reasonable size limit for top case dimension?

I also plan to get the Piaggio original fixed rack instead of the folding one because it cost less and is also more rigid (I read it here somewhere but can't find it now). However, I see that the majority of top case users has the folding one even if they never remove the case. What's the reason for that? Isn't the fixed one a better deal?
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
I bought the case that would hold 2 helmets and whatever else I might want to stuff in there. Being practical wins out over compliments about looks. There will be a time when you really need the extra space. You can thank me later.
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
Thank you for the advice! May I ask you what rack and top case do you have?
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
I have been using an E370 for quite a few years, and recently picked up a Givi B47, which looks a lot like the 47 you posted. While the 47 is much larger it isn't a problem on my BV250, and it doesn't look out of place either. However, before you buy one, find a way to test to see whether your two helmets will really fit. I doubt they will, unless maybe there's some magic way you can pack them in. My XL Shoei fits by itself, but there's not that much room left over.

I see no reason to have a folding rack if you're going to be using the case all the time. A case is just good insurance to protect your helmet and to keep it dry.
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
I apologize for the delay, I have a givi 56 maxima. I'm sure I got this on eBay or somewhere. Didn't pay for a retail. Sometimes I wish it were bigger!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
tonymarchman wrote:
I apologize for the delay, I have a givi 56 maxima. I'm sure I got this on eBay or somewhere. Didn't pay for a retail. Sometimes I wish it were bigger!
Woah! It should be huge on the gts! Do you have other pictures? Can you fit two modular helmets in that? What rack do you have?

What worries me about big cases is that Vespa rack is rated at 6kg (13lb), standard cases like e370) are around 2kg which leave 4kg (6lb) of payload. Big boxes might start from heavier loads which leave very little payload available. I know that you can probably load the rack more than what is specified, but I fear to cause damage to the bike in the long run.
UTC

UTC quote
My Shad SH59X on my Multistrada fits two full face helmets. Shad makes a rear rack for the Vespas but not sure how that top case (it can adjusted to three different sizes/heights) will look on a GTS.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Just a heads up to OP, I just installed a Shad SH37 today and was underwhelmed at the finish, feel (especially on top case removal), and hardware quality. It scratched super easy too apparently.

Givi seems best and I've put them through hell and they're resilient. You can save a few bucks and go with Kappa without losing too much quality. SW Motech makes good options too and includes a ton of extra mounting hardware for spares.

Shad left me underwhelmed. I used my Kappa hardware on my Shad to make it better.
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
Picture of my Vespa with the GIVI top case
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
tonymarchman wrote:
Picture of my Vespa with the GIVI top case
It's big but it's not exaggerate. Can you fit two modulars in there? Does it affect the handling of the bike?

I would also add a back rest for the passenger for when I go out woty my partner
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
It's big but it's not exaggerate. Can you fit two modulars in there? Yes Does it affect the handling of the bike? No, not that I can tell. I always have a rain suit in there and wanted to have room for other stuff. The rear racks will carry a lot more weight than what is specified. Once I carried a 20 lb. propane bottle full of gas. A medium sizes dog will also fit in there with (ahem} some encouragement.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I used the E370 on my GTV. Just went with the folding rack because mine came stock with it, and I didn't see a reason to buy a different one. I flipped the springs to keep it in the open position, and put a few rubber-coated pipe clamp things on it before mounting the case plate.
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
UTC quote
I have used the Givi V47 on my GTS with the folding rack for years. I have a BV 350 mount for the V47 so I can transfer from GTS to the Beverly easily.
The Givi V47 will also accommodate an AdMore LED light kit which is an added safety feature. Ciao
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
Hello everybody, what do you think about this new monolock case from givi?

https://www.givi.it/prodotti-givi/bauletti-moto-e-scooter/bauletti-in-plastica/e46-riviera

Do you think it would fit nice the Vespa GTS aestethics?

The specs are good, I like that it is pretty wide so it can fit two modular helmets, and it does not get too expensive and voluminous
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
UTC quote
Looks very nice. Givi makes great products. Aesthetics, not so much. Practical, very much.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
I've used several different Givi 47L or 48L , Shad 50L and Shad 48 on Vespa GTS and don't think they look even as big as the OEM due to the shape differences.
Givi 47L
Givi 47L
Givi 47L
Givi 47L
Shad 48
Shad 48
Shad 50
Shad 50
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
Little update: got a used GiVi E370 from amazon 2nd hand servie, but picked the wrong version without the top cover, so I'll send it back. However, I tested its storage capability and size on the Vespa, and I'm now thinking to switch to a bigger one to hold two modulars.

I'm currently evaluating GIVI V47, TRK46, E470 and E46 Riviera. TRK52 is interesting too, but it might be too big. E470 might be a touch too small for two modulars (V47 is few centimetes wider). E46 Riviera is monolock but costs almost as much as monokey series so not a big deal. V47 is very interesting because is from Monokey series so better quality, stronger (double walls instead of single one) and with many optionals.

Anyone that had V47? Opinions?
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
UTC quote
I've had the V47 for several years and like it very much. As you can see in the photo I have a liner for it that I recently purchased from AliExpress. I placed a full faced helmet in to give you perspective.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
I have a B47 Monolock on a 2007 Piaggio BV250. Here are some photos. The helmet is a Shoei Neotec XL.
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
Thank you wentwest, b47 is a good ine but I think it would not fit the GTS aesthetic. Probably the best one for this is the E470.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Just a heads up to OP, I just installed a Shad SH37 today and was underwhelmed at the finish, feel (especially on top case removal), and hardware quality. It scratched super easy too apparently.

Givi seems best and I've put them through hell and they're resilient. You can save a few bucks and go with Kappa without losing too much quality. SW Motech makes good options too and includes a ton of extra mounting hardware for spares.

Shad left me underwhelmed. I used my Kappa hardware on my Shad to make it better.
2,000+ mile /3,000+ km update... Shad case is still so-so quality, better than Vespa but not up to givi...

BUT, I have to admit, when in a rush and frequently going through stuff over and over again, I like Shads latching mechanism better than Givi... Although I do think the Shad case was rated for less weight so watch for that. It will vary from case to case.

For motorcycle road tripping, where aesthetics don't matter, convenience is critical, and you have other hard bags, it's not bad and is serving me well. Just remember if you're going to be taking it on and off the bike every single day it likes getting scratched.
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
adri wrote:
2,000+ mile /3,000+ km update... Shad case is still so-so quality, better than Vespa but not up to givi...

BUT, I have to admit, when in a rush and frequently going through stuff over and over again, I like Shads latching mechanism better than Givi... Although I do think the Shad case was rated for less weight so watch for that. It will vary from case to case.

For motorcycle road tripping, where aesthetics don't matter, convenience is critical, and you have other hard bags, it's not bad and is serving me well. Just remember if you're going to be taking it on and off the bike every single day it likes getting scratched.
When you talk about GIVI, what model are you referring to?
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
UTC quote
GTS w/V47
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
Thank you very much! The pics are very helpful. Personally I prefer the E470 from the cheaper monolock lineup for its lighter weight (less strain on the rear rack/chassy) and more streamlined design with fewer edges. The v47 is well built (double wall design etc), has higher payload (10kg/22lbs vs 3kg/7lbs) and the better monokey locking system gives me more confidence against for when the passenger leans on its cushion.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
You'll do fine. Buy what suits you. I have several size Givi cases and I can say they don't disappoint. The quality is good, the cases are durable, and unlike so many things we buy these cases just do the job.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
alemor89 wrote:
When you talk about GIVI, what model are you referring to?
Ouuuf, I used to sell them like a decade ago, so plenty, but personally I'm currently using E41s (discontinued) side cases, and have a 26 liter top case somewhere which is also about 10 years old and probably discontinued.
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
UTC quote
Strapped to top rack. I felt as if in Asia
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Lebo wrote:
Strapped to top rack. I felt as if in Asia
You couldn't get them to post that?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0116s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]