OP
@pinball avatar
UTC

GT200 Granturismo 2006

@pinball avatar
GT200 Granturismo 2006
UTC quote
My 2006 GT200 had been perfect in the reliability department until a couple days ago. The vintage green stunner kept dieing when I'd come to a stop. Fortunately, she'd start up and off I'd go. Then, driving at 35 mph she slowed down and died for good.
Here are some pictures after I pushed her back to my work. There is a mysterious vacuum line that I can't see where it's broken off from, but it may be the cause of the problem. Thoughts? I ordered a new Tygon fuel line and filter and fuel pump and hope that will address fuel delivery.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
that's part of the evap system. the red/white thing is a one way valve that's between the canister and the intake tract. basically what you have going on is a massive vacuum leak.

you can refresh the hoses, and be fine. or you can cap off at the manifold/T where it goes in and be fine. or you can eliminate the entire evap system.
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
UTC quote
I would hardly call a 2006 "vintage". To me, to be vintage, something like a motor vehicle would have to be at least 50 years old. I have a 2006 GT200 just like yours, including the Scooterwest sticker. I was going to remove the entire evap system, but there were a lot of parts that were very difficult to get to. So I just disconnected and plugged everything.

The GT200 was made with both Keihin and Walbro carburetors. Fortunately yours has the Keihin. The only place I've ever seen anything made by Walbro is on landscaping equipment, like weed whackers. I had my carburetor out once, and discovered that there are two small coolant lines that connect to a fitting on the bottom of the float bowl. I'm assuming this was done to warm the float bowl. Totally unnecessary in AZ. I removed both these small hoses, and with a new piece of hose, just made a loop out of it, bypassing the carburetor. There appeared to be a tiny bit of corrosion where one of them connected to the float bowl. I bypassed the carb with this hose to prevent a possible future leak, and to make the carburetor much easier to get out. If your hoses are starting to deteriorate, you might want to take a look at that one.
@aiosi avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500

Hooked
@aiosi avatar
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
I would hardly call a 2006 "vintage".
If it is the same Green as my 2005 PX150 Serie America, the color is called "Verde Vintage".
So yes, it would be called "vintage" as long as you qualify it with "green". Razz emoticon
OP
@pinball avatar
UTC

GT200 Granturismo 2006

@pinball avatar
GT200 Granturismo 2006
UTC quote
Vintage green is the official translation of the Italian color code name, so I didn't presume the 2006 date made it vintage. Hope there's no hard feelings there.

The blue line hose in the picture is loose and sitting there, that's the mystery. It has broken ends and I don't see where it broke off from.

If anyone who owns a 2003 to 2007 GT 200 could take engine pictures and send them my way, I would appreciate that. I'm a visual learner.

As for plugging all the vacuum lines, I guess I could try that, but the britteness issue remains on the hard to reach ones. I'd need to understanding how to remove/plug the main vacuum line.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
If your fuel and vacuum lines are original, take this as a sign to replace them all. If you yank out the EVAP system while you are doing this, you'll shed some weight and use a lot less 3/16" line. Look into blocking off the SAS while you are at it. You won't recognize your scooter at idle if you do.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
or you can cap off at the manifold/T where it goes in and be fine.
I thought only fuel injected bikes have to be capped off and that carburetor bikes were not capped?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
CrackedEgg wrote:
I thought only fuel injected bikes have to be capped off and that carburetor bikes were not capped?
they all use a port on the manifold to recover fuel vapor, it's just in a different location and size depending on the flavor.

the easiest way to defeat the system is to merely plug it at the manifold port and just leave everything else be.

some people feel the evap. must be vanquished, ripped from the machine, brought forth and demanding it answer for all the injustice and running problems it could have conceivably caused.

but, that's like, a lot of work man. just cap it and get on with your day.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Pinball wrote:
Vintage green is the official translation of the Italian color code name, so I didn't presume the 2006 date made it vintage. Hope there's no hard feelings there.

The blue line hose in the picture is loose and sitting there, that's the mystery. It has broken ends and I don't see where it broke off from.

If anyone who owns a 2003 to 2007 GT 200 could take engine pictures and send them my way, I would appreciate that. I'm a visual learner.

As for plugging all the vacuum lines, I guess I could try that, but the britteness issue remains on the hard to reach ones. I'd need to understanding how to remove/plug the main vacuum line.
do you have a workshop manual? if not, it'd be a great idea to get one. there is a ton of pictures and info in there on the evap system.

anyway, you're only plugging one vacuum line. it's not a big deal.

I'll grab a pic and post it up when I get back to the shop later.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
here's the evap line
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
the 1/4" line directly above is is vacuum for the fuel pump. the line next to it in the sheath is evap that connects to the bowl vent for the carb (you can see it up next to the diaphragm cap). the smaller 3/16" line further over to the right that is partially obscured by the screwdriver is vacuum for the SAS system.

from there it ducks down the front (into spider city)

then jogs over to the left and up into the cowl section (past spider suburbs)

it emerges out from under there (that's the roll over valve in white)

and shoots up to the tank neck where it T's in

underneath the cowl section is where all the evap crap lives, you can see the attaching nuts on the bracing in the pics.

how much you want to repair or remove is your call.

to familiarize yourself with the components of the system there is a diagram on page 70 of the FSM [7.13 evaporative emission system]
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Pinball wrote:

I was going by the year. I didn't know the name of the color. Some of the hoses have been moved around in mine, and are no longer in the original location. The main thing is to find and plug the vacuum leak. It will be on the carburetor or intake manifold. It may just be a vacuum fitting, or there may be a hose connected to it. If it will start at all, you should be able to hear the vacuum leak with the engine running with the pet carrier removed.

EDIT: Ok I just checked mine. The first picture posted by greasy 125 with the red screwdriver is it. The hose that goes up is the one for the vacuum petcock, the one that goes toward the front of the scooter and into the sheath is the evap line. You don't need to worry about the rest of the system. My hoses were fine. I just cut that one a couple inches from the intake fitting, and screwed a small bolt into the 2" piece. A better fix would be to remove the hose at that fitting, and put the proper size vacuum cap on the fitting. You can find them at any auto parts store.
GT200
GT200
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
2004 Vespa GT200L

Lurker
2004 Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
Pinball wrote:

No idea what that blue hose is from or goes to. I sent you a PM with a bunch of my pictures taken during the process of replacing the lines between my engine and charcoal canister. I was having a nearly identical issue to you with the 2004 Vespa GT200L I bought last month. Originally the issue was that warm starts were taking 15-20 seconds to start up. I had the mechanic from the shop I bought the Vespa from take a look at it and he leaned out the mixture and that's when the loss of powers would happen around 45mph and then a stall when I came to a stop. Not to mention, the entire time I had these issues, my fuel economy was absolute garbage. I went from a full tank to 1/4 tank in roughly 50 miles. I ended up replacing the hoses and haven't had the issue pop up again in a week.

Hope you were able to figure out your issue. Personally if you don't want to plug up the vacuum line, I'd look into replacing the charcoal canister entirely to return the scooter to it's original state.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0123s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]