OP
@painc4ke avatar
UTC

2013 BV 350/Kymco Movie 150

@painc4ke avatar
UTC quote
Hello. Long time un-registered lurker here. Glad to be here.

I just "upgraded" from a 2013 Kymco Movie 150 to a 2013 BV 350! But I got some issues with some random hesitation and stalling. It can start off relatively fine and seems to run ok. It's nice weather right now and not cold. But after driving for about 10 minutes it will stall either at a stop sign or while I'm going 60. It will just coast to a stop on, then stall out.

So here is what I have done based on all the past posts I could look up here.

-Drained the gas tank, filled with new gas and fuel injection cleaner.
-Replaced Spark plug cap and coil. (not the spark plug yet)
-Re-clamped and re-installed new coolant hoses and clamps.
-Opened and cleaned out the drive assembly. Belt looked fine.
-Removed all plastic body and cleaned up grime and dirt/removed corrosion.
-Changed oil and filter.
-Removed EVAP system, bolted closed hoses/drilled a small hole in gas cap.
-Replaced gas cap with one with no hole and routed top vent hose to bottom right side of vehicle the correct way.
-Cleaned and sprayed air filter.
-Installed a aftermarket Malossi exhaust pipe cuz it looked cool.

Still having stalling issues. The only other thing I can think of that I haven't tried is to get one of them fancy ECP mapping updates. Problem is there is only one Vespa "dealership" where I live in Albuquerque and they have really bad ratings and I can't get a hold of them over the phone or email. I've called around to other motorcycle places but no-one is willing to work on a scooter.

My question is, has anyone done there own ECP mapping update? What tool have you used to update your bikes?
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
You can't do re-mapping yourself. Let the dealer do it. What about your valves? When was the last time that they were adjusted? Have the dealer do that too. It's a serious pain in the butt to do that yourself. Doable yourself but not worth your time. Why you are at the dealership just let they fix the stalling once and for all.
OP
@painc4ke avatar
UTC

@painc4ke avatar
UTC quote
It is true, I have yet to touch my valves. I see that ROBOT has a video or so on how to do that.

I was finally able to get a hold of the Vespa dealership here. But they were understaffed, very rude and were unsure if they could even service my vehicle and were "unable" to simply load up PADS to see if they could hook up to my 2013 BV 2013. Which I found strange, since they were selling 2021-2022 BV 350 right there in the store. I set up a date but they were very un-willing to help and I am not sure I can trust them with my vehicle. They simply wish for my vehicle to stay with them for a month so they can work on it, but barely asked any questions about what was wrong and unwilling to listen. But at this point, I may have not choice.

The other rabbit hole I dived into was Guzzidiag. Seems to be a way to look up on your vehicle what is wrong, read what the current software is on it, and "write" new software. Issue is, you need a certain cord and you need to know which update to install, otherwise you will brick your ECU. I had to literally take apart to find my BV 350 to find out what ECU type it was from a sticker on the side of the engine. Haven't tried it yet, as I need way more information. Others have tried it themselves on other BV's but there experience is old and from old message boards from across the internet.

Looks like I will have to stick with the dealer, but I am still doing research on how to update the ECU myself.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
WAG.
Check with AF1 racing. Maybe you can remove the ECU/throttle body and send it to them. I don't know if the ECU must be on the bike when remapping.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
Painc4ke wrote:
Looks like I will have to stick with the dealer, but I am still doing research on how to update the ECU myself.
although you can _custom_ remap the ecu yourself (see DIY Diagnostic tool for injection Vespa's with MIU ECU and related tools), this takes expert skills to develop the new map and ideally a dyno etc. really only suitable if you're doing things like adding a larger cylinder (malossi or polini) or changing the head etc

whereas the dealer can use PADS to apply any official map updates. if you have an early-ish model of a particular scoot then piaggio does sometimes release minor updates for the map. this will should be done already at normal service. for your 2013 I'd expect you'd already have the latest that was probably several years ago.
OP
@painc4ke avatar
UTC

@painc4ke avatar
UTC quote
Just got back from the dealer. They refuse to work on it because it's a 2013. They said the bike was too old to work on for PADS and did not have a update for me. They didn't even hook it up. I wish they told me this before I drove all the way down. Not happy with them.

Which leads me back to where I started. I now have the two cables needed to diagnose, read and write from Lonelec. The least I can do is read it and see if it can tell me what's up with my bike stalling all the time. Here we go!
OP
@painc4ke avatar
UTC

@painc4ke avatar
UTC quote
ALRIGHT! So I tried it out, and my 2013 BV 350 is still running so I didn't kill the ECU yet!

I followed the instructions on https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96957.0 and determined that I must have a MIUG3 ECU so I downloaded and used IAWDIAG_V0.50 and the IAWMIUG3READER_V0.05. I got back a few things...[/img]

If I am reading this right, I don't think it has been updated since 2012. So now begins my next quest; trying to find any update at all, big or small.
IAW DIAG Screen
IAW DIAG Screen
IAW DIAG Screen 2
IAW DIAG Screen 2
Bin File
Bin File
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Here's another thing weird about my 2014 BV. B4 I sold it, I was using the Malossi CDI unit. When ever I removed the CDI, the bike ran bad. Put it back on and it was back to normal.
Problem with this theory is that it could be throwing money at it if it doesn't work.
OP
@painc4ke avatar
UTC

@painc4ke avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Here's another thing weird about my 2014 BV. B4 I sold it, I was using the Malossi CDI unit. When ever I removed the CDI, the bike ran bad. Put it back on and it was back to normal.
Problem with this theory is that it could be throwing money at it if it doesn't work.
Whoa! Do you know where I could find one? I'm kinda stuck on this whole .bin/XDF Turner pro stuff.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Painc4ke wrote:
Whoa! Do you know where I could find one? I'm kinda stuck on this whole .bin/XDF Turner pro stuff.
Scooterpartsco.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0215s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0123s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]