OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
I was invited to go for a ride to an Amish ice cream parlor by my friend Andy. As we arrived something almost happened that reminded me of how important it is to monitor left turns -- those of others and those I make.

Skip forward in the video to 2:40. I was behind Andy who made the video and it was unsettling to watch things unfold.

The ride could have changed in an instant. I saw an SUV pull out behind me to pass as Andy was slowing to make the left turn into the parking lot. He had his turn signal on but I doubt the SUV saw it or realized we were slowing down. We had been traveling at around 50mph in a 45mph zone but the driver was anxious to go faster.

Thankfully Andy aborted his turn at the last second. The SUV moved a bit to the left but never slowed down. Hopefully, the driver added the experience to their playbook and will be more careful in the future.

The ice cream was good. The cookies are good. And the big loaf of Amish bread is lovely as well.

A fine ride.

https://youtu.be/zL7d3qp0SIM
Two Vespa GTS scooters, a Triumph T100, and a BMW 1200RS gathered at the Nittany Valley Dairy near Jacksonville, Pennsylvania.
Two Vespa GTS scooters, a Triumph T100, and a BMW 1200RS gathered at the Nittany Valley Dairy near Jacksonville, Pennsylvania.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Wha? emoticon Yup, at 2:50 is a very close call. What part of several bikes with blinkers on did he not understand!?!

Otherwise, Andy put together a nice video, per usual.
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped
UTC quote
Did the cager have a solid line or broken line (passing zone) when he passed you? I would imagine he didn't have the right to pass.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
Did the cager have a solid line or broken line (passing zone) when he passed you? I would imagine he didn't have the right to pass.
There are no lines in the road which is common in many rural areas. It's why there are a rear view mirrors. Hopefully Andy checked his before moving.
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Wha? emoticon Yup, at 2:50 is a very close call. What part of several bikes with blinkers on did he not understand!?!

Otherwise, Andy put together a nice video, per usual.
Well, the driver was obviously in a hurry and felt it was ok to pass. We had just emerged on a long straight section where passing would be normal. The SUV was behind me. I had my signal flashing as did Andy. But as the old story goes -- the driver likely didn't see them.

It doesn't really matter what the driver did or didn't seem. The responsibility is always mine to manage the risk of this stuff. I saw it coming and thankfully Andy did too when it mattered. A textbook case of risk management.
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
There are no lines on these rural roads. It was a long straight stretch. Passing would be allowed. It was a simple case I bet of the driver not realizing we were going to turn.
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
There are no lines in the road which is common in many rural areas. It's why there are a rear view mirrors. Hopefully Andy checked his before moving.
I was behind Andy when he started to turn. I cringed seeing his movement knowing the SUV was passing. Thankfully he checked one more time.

There was a time when the event would have made me angry. Now it just goes into my book of riding lessons.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
I was behind Andy when he started to turn. I cringed seeing his movement knowing the SUV was passing. Thankfully he checked one more time.

There was a time when the event would have made me angry. Now it just goes into my book of riding lessons.
I like that reaction vs getting angry and it's awesome that both of you saw that vehicle coming.

What do you think could be the lesson here? I mean besides doing what Andy obviously did, which is double checking what's going on to the rear. Taking possibly another lane position?
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I was following son Sam once in southern Wisconsin.

A truck was at a traffic light, turning left towards us, but waiting, I assumed.

As Sam got close the truck started moving to turn, right in front of him.

Luckily, the driver must have finally noticed that he was about to crash into Sam and held up, leaving just enough space for Sam to pass.

My heart skipped a few beats.

Bill
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
You were following Son of Sam? Lol…
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
You were following Son of Sam?
Sounds like he was actually following son of Bill.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
When leading rides and there's question of my signal being seen by followers, I sometimes reinforce my blinkers with an arm signal to make sure everyone notices the turn, I'll do the same when a cager is behind me as well, hoping it increases my visibility...they might miss my signal but hopefully not my arm.

Having said that, I find it a bit incomprehensible that a driver could miss several signals flashing simultaneously.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
A textbook case of risk management.
Although the thing that stood out a mile for me was the lack of gloves.

Personal choice, I know, but everyone's first reaction if they trip over is to put their hand out, so it makes me nervous to see riders without them.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Looks like an otherwise fun ride in peaceful terrain. Glad it was "almost."

I've been paying attention to what areas get passing zones on two lane rural roads lately, trying to figure out the decision process for various areas. I've noticed that side roads and driveways are a factor: if it looks like there should be a broken line for passing but it's double yellow for the stretch of road, inevitably there's at least one set of left-turn openings coming up.
It's made me that much more aware when I'm thinking of going around slower traffic on the Bonnie, not just on marked roads.

Good reminder to take it down a notch when we're impatient...and to watch our mirrors!
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Although the thing that stood out a mile for me was the lack of gloves.

Personal choice, I know, but everyone's first reaction if they trip over is to put their hand out, so it makes me nervous to see riders without them.
Yeah, I'm with you. The idea of ungloved hands hitting the pavement makes me dizzy. And bare ankle bones, and bare legs. I give Andy a hardtime about gear but he's a big boy and can make his own decisions. I have enough trouble managing my own life. I don't need to try and deal with others...
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
Looks like an otherwise fun ride in peaceful terrain. Glad it was "almost."

I've been paying attention to what areas get passing zones on two lane rural roads lately, trying to figure out the decision process for various areas. I've noticed that side roads and driveways are a factor: if it looks like there should be a broken line for passing but it's double yellow for the stretch of road, inevitably there's at least one set of left-turn openings coming up.
It's made me that much more aware when I'm thinking of going around slower traffic on the Bonnie, not just on marked roads.

Good reminder to take it down a notch when we're impatient...and to watch our mirrors!
Passing on rural roads that have feeder roads and driveways is dicey at times. I just pay attention and look for hazards -- forwards and back.
OP
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
I like that reaction vs getting angry and it's awesome that both of you saw that vehicle coming.

What do you think could be the lesson here? I mean besides doing what Andy obviously did, which is double checking what's going on to the rear. Taking possibly another lane position?
The lesson for me was to always look back before making a left turn. I do but this event reinforced it.

Andy was in the left of the lane so his visibility couldn't have been better. I just think the driver didn't see the signal. One thing I do if I sense someone is anxious behind me is I use a hand signal as well. But this driver closed fast. He wasn't there and then he (or she) was.
@rossodragongts avatar
UTC

2013 GTS300ie Super

@rossodragongts avatar
2013 GTS300ie Super
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Yeah, I'm with you. The idea of ungloved hands hitting the pavement makes me dizzy. And bare ankle bones, and bare legs. I give Andy a hardtime about gear but he's a big boy and can make his own decisions. I have enough trouble managing my own life. I don't need to try and deal with others...
I am a major fan of all the gear, all the time!!
UTC

vespa gts

vespa gts
UTC quote
Mate, this is just a normal day in life in Istanbul

You are luck he didnt throw anything at you or worse can back and run over you cause he missed it

Riding in istanbul is like russian rullette with a automatic pistol

Be safe
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
rossodragongts wrote:
I am a major fan of all the gear, all the time!!
I'm guilty of not suiting up in the warmer months of the year. I don't mind wearing protective gear in the colder months, but the summers here in VA can be brutally hot. I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take for not overheating.
@grides avatar
UTC

2010 Vespa GTS 300, Honda Trail 125

@grides avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300, Honda Trail 125
UTC quote
Great reminder to check the mirrors, use turn indicators (even if the less observant may not see them), and have ice cream available for the after-action review.
I have that same ear plug carrier!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
There's a reason the 'Over the shoulder' glance is called a 'Lifesaver' in the UK.
@rossodragongts avatar
UTC

2013 GTS300ie Super

@rossodragongts avatar
2013 GTS300ie Super
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
I'm guilty of not suiting up in the warmer months of the year. I don't mind wearing protective gear in the colder months, but the summers here in VA can be brutally hot. I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take for not overheating.
Klim and Rev'it both make excellent mesh gear that is great for those 98 degree with 65% humidity days! The Klim Induction jacket is my everyday in the Summer here in OK .
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Yep - always check the mirrors.
I've been known to use the old "left arm straight out" bicycle signal if there's any chance cars behind me aren't paying attention to my brake & turn lights.....and you do have to be ready to abort the turn.

This kind of thing can happen when someone other than 'tail-end-charlie" in a group string needs a turn.

I've had a few opportunities for group riding - my response is, "go ahead. I'll meet you there."

O.S.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Ride without leather gloves?!

O.S.
@rossodragongts avatar
UTC

2013 GTS300ie Super

@rossodragongts avatar
2013 GTS300ie Super
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
Ride without leather gloves?!

O.S.
I wouldn't want to ride without good gloves that can take a slide.
@puffybodie avatar
UTC

Honda Monkey 125, Yamaha XVZ 1300 RSV

@puffybodie avatar
Honda Monkey 125, Yamaha XVZ 1300 RSV
UTC quote
Why someone talks about 'how he can't see so many signal lights' and such? It has nothing to do with situation.

It was pure ego at work aka "I will not be slowed down by some clown machines". That's most of such situations, rest is simply driver not paying attention and then it does not matter how many lights you put on yourself or what type of reflexive color you wear. Because people who do not pay attention during driving will miss even police/fire dept./emergency cars with all of their colors, lights and sirens at work

There are only 3 rules:

1) No one can see you
2) You have no right of way anywhere
3) Everyone wants to kill you

Apply them (yes, it means to look around even when you have green light and such) and you will be fine. Plus you do not need to even think about some reflexive colors and whatelse so you can spare money on that. But sure works as placebo for your own psychology or maybe you just like the design of that product and it's available only in those colors (happens too).
@andyheckathorne avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 Vespa GTS 300 Settantesimo

Hooked
@andyheckathorne avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 Settantesimo
UTC quote
Thanks for posting the video, Steve. That was a fun ride!

I'm unsure if I mentioned this to you on Friday, but as we approached the Dairy, I noticed that the SUV had squeezed into line between you and Paul. I noted that we might have an impatient driver in our midst. I want to think that I would have checked my mirror one last time anyway before making the turn, but knowing we had someone in a hurry may have also been a factor.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
puffybodie wrote:
Why someone talks about 'how he can't see so many signal lights' and such? It has nothing to do with situation.

It was pure ego at work aka "I will not be slowed down by some clown machines". That's most of such situations, rest is simply driver not paying attention and then it does not matter how many lights you put on yourself or what type of reflexive color you wear. Because people who do not pay attention during driving will miss even police/fire dept./emergency cars with all of their colors, lights and sirens at work

There are only 3 rules:

1) No one can see you
2) You have no right of way anywhere
3) Everyone wants to kill you

Apply them (yes, it means to look around even when you have green light and such) and you will be fine. Plus you do not need to even think about some reflexive colors and whatelse so you can spare money on that. But sure works as placebo for your own psychology or maybe you just like the design of that product and it's available only in those colors (happens too).
I do, sometimes, have right of way where I live. That being stated, applying rule 1 and 2 while enjoying 2 wheeling, hopefully, will allow my to live til natural causes remove my ability to ride.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Thank God your okay.

I join everyone in having 360 degree awareness. I almost
think I am looking backward as much as forward.

This week on a group ride, seven of us traveling at the posted
speed limited passed by a car going +80 mph. The speed
limit on the county road was 55 mph, my odometer was at
61 mph. I know scoots are off - but the guy flew by us.

Bob Copeland
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
For those with neck trouble.

@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
I haven't had that particular one but vaguely similar ...

there's a lot of bike lanes around here that run between the car lanes and the parked cars. One time turning off the road aiming for the one of those little ramps (for pedestrians etc) to get onto the footpath where I am allowed to park I almost wiped out a cyclist as I turned across their lane. I had used my indicators and checked the mirrors (don't remember if head check) but they were being particularly speedy (peak hour commuter) and hadn't noticed. I'm now extra careful of this. I have subsequently replaced the bulbs in my indicators with leds that are brighter making a more solid amber across the whole light instead of a small amber in the middle.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
Definitely a good reminder to check behind you anytime you're making a move in traffic. A quick mirror check and turn of the head can make all the difference.

Several years ago on a long trip, I was leading a group of about 8 riders. We were heading to the Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland, OH. We were on the Shoreway (4 lane divided hwy and pretty fast) and merging onto an off-ramp with an on-ramp ending at the bottom of the off-ramp - terrible road design. It's a pretty tough spot and the traffic merging on tends to be aggressive.

Sure enough, some of the traffic merging on decided to cut in between my lead position and the 2nd rider. The 2nd rider was able to brake, then swerve to avoid getting creamed. He was a highly skilled rider and his experience let him get through that scenario. Lesser riders (myself included) likely would have been road pizza. He had video of the incident and made the mistake of showing his family. At nearly 80 years old, they decided it was time for him to stop riding.
X marks the spot
X marks the spot
UTC

Piaggio typhoon/Kymco People S150

Piaggio typhoon/Kymco People S150
UTC quote
Glad y'all made it this time! Lately I've been thinking a lot about getting sandwiched between cars at a stoplight, and have been noticing how many drivers are looking at their laps rather than the road even as they are cornering. I like to ride by myself in a big invisible box. If some one enters my box I get them out of it without judgement, but man these folks don't always make it easy. They truly are not looking.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
When leading rides and there's question of my signal being seen by followers, I sometimes reinforce my blinkers with an arm signal to make sure everyone notices the turn, I'll do the same when a cager is behind me as well, hoping it increases my visibility...they might miss my signal but hopefully not my arm.
I still do this sometimes, for the same reason. It works.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0247s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0075s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]