UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
Hi There

I had to get my rear wheel replaced in the fall because it had a nail in it. I also asked him to just change the oil for as well. I am currently at 5000 miles and was wondering when I need to take to dealer for a full tune up? I will not be going back to the motorcycle shop that changed my oil and tire because when I left he said it the bike was riding a little sluggish and prob needs a tune up - that was surprising to me since it was riding just fine before the tire issue.....turned out the ASR just needed to be recalibrated.

Anyway.....Any thoughts about when I need a tune up next would be grand.

No attacking me please about what many would consider a stupid question.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
The service manual recommends oil changes every 5000 Km (3000 miles) 10,000 Km (6000 miles). I would do your next oil change at 6000 to 6500 9000 to 9500 miles. I'd also do the rest of the 10K (6000 mile) maintenance at the same time, which includes replacing the spark plug and some cleaning and inspections. Looks like a valve clearance adjustment is due at 20K (12,500 miles).

Your owner's manual should have the maintenance schedule.

Edit: CORRECTION! I was mistaken. The GTS 300 service manual recommends oil changes 10K Km (6000 miles). Your next oil change could be at 9000 - 9500 miles, or this fall, whichever comes first. Actually, if it were mine I might do it somewhat earlier -- oil's cheap enough.
⚠️ Last edited by JKJ-FZ6 on UTC; edited 1 time
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
The service manual recommends oil changes every 5000 Km (3000 miles).
You have a 150 Primavera. The OP has a 300 GTS. Different maintenance schedules including different intervals for oil and filter change. Each of you should use the maintenance table in the appropriate owners manual.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
You have a 150 Primavera. The OP has a 300 GTS. Different maintenance schedules including different intervals for oil and filter change. Each of you should use the maintenance table in the appropriate owners manual.
I got the service intervals from the maintenance chart for the GTS 300 in the wiki but yes, the best source of information is the respective owner's manual.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
Oil change interval for GTS 250/300 is 6,000 miles or 1 year. Which ever comes first.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
CrackedEgg wrote:
Oil change interval for GTS 250/300 is 6,000 miles or 1 year. Which ever comes first.
Correct! I was mistaken.

Was that synthetic oil?
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Now, back to the OP's original question. CrackedEgg correctly points out that the oil/filter interval for the GTS is 6000 miles or 1 year. Sounds like the OP reached 1 year before 6000 miles and correctly changed oil and filter. That doesn't reset the maintenance for other components so the owners manual schedule still applies.

A comment - the term "tune up" is a little outdated. That used to mean servicing the distributer and carburetor as well as replacing the spark plug(s), checking or resetting the valves, etc. In this era of fuel injection, ignition timing by ECU, long life plugs, etc - many of these components simply need to be monitored (often by the ECU) and tested/replaced if they malfunction or fail. I think the best advice these days is to follow the scheduled inspection/adjustment/replacement schedule and be sensitive to signs of mechanical malfunctions. An experienced mechanic can troubleshoot problems for you by testing components and using the electronic diagnostic system when needed.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
you're currently at 5K, when was the oil change performed? and was the filter done at the same time?

if the filter wasn't done, I'd recommend doing an oil & filter change at 6K so you're reset and back on schedule. due to mileage you're only part of the way to the "service life" of the oil, but it's not a tremendous amount of coin to splash so you can be back on the interval and not have to keep closer tabs or run offset service intervals.

either way I'd perform the 6K service procedures: check the plug, air filter and trans along with all the needed flush/bleed and safety checks.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Or another thought on oil and filter to keep it simple. If you don't expect to top 6000 miles in any one year period - it may be more straight forward to simply plan on doing oil and filter once a year. Probably best to do so in the late Fall given the likely light use or storage of the scooter in the Northeast winter. I'd recommend you learn to change oil and filter yourself, likewise for simplicity as well as to save a few bucks. The other service items would remain on their schedules as stated in your manual.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0149s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]