OP
UTC

Sprint 150 (US)

Sprint 150 (US)
UTC quote
Hi friends. Recently rebuilt this 150 sprint from a pile of parts (literally). It's a 1973 and was originally a DC bike with a battery. I've ditched that in favor of AC only but the wiring has me confused.

I've got 2 6v regulators and three wires from (yellow, blue and green) that are running between 12v and 20v between them. Anybody have advice on how to wire up the regs to feed the system?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
OP
UTC

Sprint 150 (US)

Sprint 150 (US)
UTC quote
Ya, I watched that. I guess my question is what wires to feed the regulators? I've got separate wires coming from the generator. Should I splice them all together and feed the regulators with that or? The yellow green and blue wires all have between 10 and 20 volts. Thanks.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
Hey buddy. Welcome to the forum. I did a cheap full conversion on my sprint Veloce. I just ran a simple 5 wire vespa stator and a 3 prone voltage regulator. I just redid my entire harness as well, apparently my Sprint veloces use to have turn signals, battery etc and at some point someone made it more simple.

You should have to run two 6v regulators, just one. Is your scooter wired for 6 volt electrical? like 6v lights, horn, etc?
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
You are having the problem that I had. Full old wiring made for battery, blinkers, ignition pilot light etc. I purchased the BGM full harness which comes with a brand new switch for the headset. It is super simple to run.

Also, the newer style 5 wire vespa stator matches the BGM wiring because they are made specifically for the 5 wire stator but they do offer other variants. Replacing the whole harness has been totally worth it to me, I get consistent headlight output and tail light, the horn is strong and everything has worked for me. Do you have any pictures? What is your current stator output? how many wires and what colors. also, what Coil/CDI are you running?
OP
UTC

Sprint 150 (US)

Sprint 150 (US)
UTC quote
My harness is a mess but I've got it cut back to match the '6v no battery no blinkers no front brake switch' system. Yellow feeds headlight and running lights, blue is rear brake, green is horn and red is coil. I've got 5 wires coming from the stator that match those colors. Each wire (yellow, blue and green) has its own voltage. I guess I'm wondering if I can (or should?) just twist them all together to feed the regulators and then pull regulated voltage out to feed the various circuits from above... Seems like a very bad idea.

It seems like my stator colors match the colors of an ac bike but I know it was a DC battery bike originally so I'm a little (lot) confused! Thanks for the help!
OP
UTC

Sprint 150 (US)

Sprint 150 (US)
UTC quote
Oh, and sorry, it's a points system. I don't know the coil but it's getting 6v and providing plenty of spark. The bike runs great but no lights of any kind (after I blew up all the bulbs on startup feeding it close to 20v!.. what a dummy). Hence my search for voltage regulators etc. I'll get some pics of what I can tomorrow. Cheers!
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
^^ Only if you knew how much of an improvement a 5 wire vespa stator (black, blue, green, red and white) with the new harness is you wouldn't think twice. Most people runs the Ducati CDI and a 3 prone voltage regulator too. Everything would be in the $200 range for everything and it is truly a plug and play system (complete electrical). You are limited with the 6v system. Let me look into my parts bin tomorrow because I might have some parts that you need.

I am so happy with the BGM harness but you can also buy it from other brands OEM style. It is a clean wiring with bundles and everything is color coded properly. I am so happy with my Sprint Veloce new electrical, literally I had to do what you are trying to do.
OP
UTC

Sprint 150 (US)

Sprint 150 (US)
UTC quote
Ok thanks! I'll take a look into the system. Cheers!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]