@duorotte avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 P200e

Enthusiast
@duorotte avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Hey everyone, been trying to figure out why my headlight is not going on. So far I checked it with another new headlight I have, both sealed version. I had a low battery which I replaced and now getting 12.5ish v when off and over 13 when on and loaded. I checked wires underneath and all looked good. Weird thing is my horn is weak and sounds like a dying goose. I did use the multimeter to check for juice on the wires that connect to the little box behind the headlight. I have a black , brown and double green. I put the mm negative to the black wire and positive to the green and read 11.34 continuity. When I put the positive on brown I got nothing. The brown seems to go to the horn switch box. Did this with the bike running. I have a 4 pole if that matters. All other lights work except the headlight and dying horn. What should be my next step ?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Check the switch that controls the horn/headlight. Unscrew it and look at the backside of the switch and where the wires pass through the headset. They can chafe there.
OP
@duorotte avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 P200e

Enthusiast
@duorotte avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
I was attempting to do that. It was late last night and I was pretty much out of it. Took the cover off, but couldn't see where to disconnect the terminal to get to the wires behind it. Did I miss a screw ?? only saw that one to take the cover off. Will try and get to it tonight again.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
duorotte wrote:
I was attempting to do that. It was late last night and I was pretty much out of it. Took the cover off, but couldn't see where to disconnect the terminal to get to the wires behind it. Did I miss a screw ?? only saw that one to take the cover off. Will try and get to it tonight again.
There's just the one screw. The wires don't come off and you don't want to unsolder them. If you must disconnect them, they disconnect behind the horn in the junction box there.

The area to focus on is where the wires come from the grip into the headset. The shifting motion can saw on the wires over time.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@duorotte avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 P200e

Enthusiast
@duorotte avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Looked at the wire and the light switch box. Nothing seems wrong from what I can tell. I did go and test the brown wire at the headlight connector and this time did get a hit on my meter, but it read 0 continuity. Not sure if I did it right. But that was the end since I blew my fuse when something. From the pole connector set it off. Didn't have extras, so I'm waiting for a few new ones to come in. How about the light switch box itself? Think that could go bad ? Also what is the part called that plugs into the headlamp. Wanted to find a new one to replace maybe. This is killing me. Nice weather is here and I can't ride at night.
OP
@duorotte avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 P200e

Enthusiast
@duorotte avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Problem solved. I'm an idiot. For a week after work Ive been trying to locate the electrical problem. Well a second pair of eyes noticed the problem as soon as the headlamp lid came off. The black ground wire from the headlight came loose at some point and melted perfectly into the plastic right against the speedo metal. I must of looked at it a dozen times and said ok looks normal. I didn't remove anything so everything is still in place when it worked. Move on to find the electrical gremlin. Nope. I'm still an idiot. That ground that looked to be I place which was melted tot he plastic belonged on the ground missing to the headlamp which I didn't realize. Well removed it, cleaned up the connector and plugged it back in. Well what do you know. I have a working headlamp again. FML. Well thank you for the tips and pointers. Love and learn. But I'm riding again at night. Life is good.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
You're an idiot!

Good find!
@popgunandy avatar
UTC

Hooked
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100

Hooked
@popgunandy avatar
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100
UTC quote
How'd the dying goose of a horn turn out? Loud 'n proud now?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0134s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0056s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]