OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 Vespa lx150

Lurker
2009 Vespa lx150
UTC quote
Help Please 🙏

I have a 2009 Vespa lx150 that has been sitting for over 2 years. When I try to start it, it turns over stays on for a few seconds, and then cuts out.

I have charged fuels lines, vacuum lines, put new petrol in and spark plug but still having problems:😢
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked
1952 allstate (early), 1958 allstate, 2009 S150, 2001 ET2

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
1952 allstate (early), 1958 allstate, 2009 S150, 2001 ET2
UTC quote
Clean the carb. That is most likely your problem.
OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 Vespa lx150

Lurker
2009 Vespa lx150
UTC quote
Cheers bro.

Ended up pulling carb out cleaned it out and put it back together but was still having problems so I opened the carb again and cleaned the blocked idle and throttle jet and the scoot is going like brand new

Do you know of any upgrades to give the lx 150 more power/speed?

One more question, if I have a fully flat battery would riding for a while charge the battery back up?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Kahlo2023 wrote:
Cheers bro.

Ended up pulling carb out cleaned it out and put it back together but was still having problems so I opened the carb again and cleaned the blocked idle and throttle jet and the scoot is going like brand new

Do you know of any upgrades to give the lx 150 more power/speed?
The Malossi 190 cylinder upgrade kit, together with Dr Pulley sliders and an extra 1mm washer in the variator works wonders.
Quote:
One more question, if I have a fully flat battery would riding for a while charge the battery back up?
If the battery has been fully discharged for more than a day or two, then it has already been badly damaged (sulphation).

You'd need to ride for at least 2 hours, preferably 3, continuously without re-starting to fully charge it. Enjoy some twisties.

Best to get a battery maintainer made specifically for motorcycles, but never leave it on for more than 24 - 48 hours at a time. Overcharging kills batteries as much as fully discharging them does.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
If the battery is of unknown age AND sat unused for two years, I'd suggest replacing it as a matter of peace of mind. It's on seriously borrowed time.

You could perhaps limp along with it for a few more months if you carried a lithium battery pack jumpstarter (a very good thing to have anyway), or if you have a kickstart - but the kickstarters on the carbed 150s are notoriously unreliable and many, like mine, don't have them in the first place.

An easy, cheap upgrade: bump up the idle jet from the stock size 35 to size 38. A better idle and a bit more grunt off the line for less than $15 delivered. Upping the displacement with a big bore kit on a four-stroke is starting to get into the realm of higher maintenance/lower reliability in my opinion.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0103s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]