OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped
UTC quote
As my 2021 GTS 300 Super HPE slows down, I'm hearing a chirping noise when the speed gets below about 10-15 mph. My brakes are not being applied when it's chirping. When you get over 10-15 mph or when you come to a complete stop, the chirping noise stops. I can't definitively tell if it's coming from front or rear, but I think it's from the front. Just started doing this today. Bike has less than 2k miles on it. Any ideas?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I know you said you're not applying the brakes, but... generally, that sound comes from the brakes.

From the wiki: FAQ: Why do my front brakes make a whirring / cricket sound?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Also, sound is notoriously difficult to diagnose via text descriptions. Any chance of capturing a video of it and uploading to YouTube?
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
It's definitely not the brakes. I'm not even touching the brakes when it starts chirping.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
It's definitely not the brakes. I'm not even touching the brakes when it starts chirping.
Can you elaborate on chirping? It's hard to diagnose sound from text descriptions.
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Also, sound is notoriously difficult to diagnose via text descriptions. Any chance of capturing a video of it and uploading to YouTube?
Since it only chirps when the bike is moving, there no way I can get it on video without killing myself. No noise on the stand when at idle or when I accelerate from idle.
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Can you elaborate on chirping? It's hard to diagnose sound from text descriptions.
It literally sounds like a bunch of birds chirping. No other way to describe it.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
It literally sounds like a bunch of birds chirping. No other way to describe it.
I still think it's coming from the brakes, regardless of whether you are applying them. The calipers brake pads are still basically touching the disc even without being applied, and they're the one thing that is most likely to make noise.
⚠️ Last edited by jess on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I still think it's coming from the brakes, regardless of whether you are applying them. The calipers are still basically touching the disc even without being applied, and they're the one thing that is most likely to make noise.
I checked movement of the front wheel on the stand. No binding or chirping noise whatsoever as I rotate the wheel. That's why I didn't think it was the brakes.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
I checked movement of the front wheel on the stand. No binding or chirping noise whatsoever as I rotate the wheel. That's why I didn't think it was the brakes.
They don't need to bind to make noise. The pads are literally touching the disc at all times.
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
My wife has the identical bike and no chirping on slow down.
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I still think it's coming from the brakes, regardless of whether you are applying them. The calipers brake pads are still basically touching the disc even without being applied, and they're the one thing that is most likely to make noise.
I agree with this. My 2020 GTS mades a chirping sound when I move it around with the engine off. I'm sure it's my brake pads rubbing on the disk. I figure it's just one of those things.

OP- Does the sound stop when you lightly apply the brakes?
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
I agree with this. My 2020 GTS mades a chirping sound when I move it around with the engine off. I'm sure it's my brake pads rubbing on the disk. I figure it's just one of those things.

OP- Does the sound stop when you lightly apply the brakes?
The chirping noise does not stop when the brakes are applied.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
The chirping noise does not stop when the brakes are applied.
Okay, here are your three options, in descending order of likelihood:

1) It's the brakes. I realize you are convinced it is not the brakes, but it is the most likely candidate.
2) It's the wheel bearings. No idea why it would only chirp at specific speeds.
3) You have an actual bird nest under the fender.

My money is on the brakes. That's my final answer. If you don't like the answer, sorry.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
As my 2021 GTS 300 Super HPE slows down, I'm hearing a chirping noise when the speed gets below about 10-15 mph. My brakes are not being applied when it's chirping. When you get over 10-15 mph or when you come to a complete stop, the chirping noise stops. I can't definitively tell if it's coming from front or rear, but I think it's from the front. Just started doing this today. Bike has less than 2k miles on it. Any ideas?
10-15mph is typically the speed at which the clutch disengages. Above that speed the clutch is engaged, fixed, therefore no slip, and below the clutch runs free, also no slip. At the disengagement point there is slip and that slip could explain the noise.

Do you hear shortly a similar noise when you start from standstill?
If it is then it sounds like when there is slip in the clutch you have that noise.
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
10-15mph is typically the speed at which the clutch disengages. Above that speed the clutch is engaged, fixed, therefore no slip, and below the clutch runs free, also no slip. At the disengagement point there is slip and that slip could explain the noise.

Do you hear shortly a similar noise when you start from standstill?
If it is then it sounds like when there is slip in the clutch you have that noise.
I don't hear the noise when I move from a standstill. Only on deceleration.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
You can record a video to capture audio without having three arms.

a. put the phone in a breast pocket
b. put the phone in a small fabric bag and hang it from the curry-hook
c. put the phone in a fanny-pack or similar

As long as the mic is free from obstruction, those with the Golden Ear may be able to give you a more educated guess.
UTC

vespa gts

vespa gts
UTC quote
İ got the same bird its the brakes
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
UTC quote
Is is more of a fluttering tweet/chirp accompanied by a bit of a whirr, or is it more of a screech?
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
Is is more of a fluttering tweet/chirp accompanied by a bit of a whirr, or is it more of a screech?
Screech
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
I'm guessing brakes.

probably picked up some debris that's caught in the pads and it's rubbing on the rotor. or, just the slightest difference in manufacturing tolerances.

or, something is rubbing on the tire. the rear inner fender is always popular for that.

or, you actually have a nest of pterodactyls up under the bodywork. which would be pretty rad, honestly.
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
I guess the consensus is the brakes are the culprit. That's fine. I'll just keep an eye and ear on it and see if it gets any better or worse. Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated!
@phaskins avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 250ie

Addicted
@phaskins avatar
2006 250ie
UTC quote
I'll throw one more idea out there, though the age and mileage on your scoot don't support the hypothesis. I had what I would have described as a non-brake, chirping noise on deceleration down from 20ish to 10ish. It turned out to be the coolant pump bearing. No real sign the bearing was going other than the sound and a bit of coolant at the weep hole. Check your pump housing.
OP
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
phaskins wrote:
I'll throw one more idea out there, though the age and mileage on your scoot don't support the hypothesis. I had what I would have described as a non-brake, chirping noise on deceleration down from 20ish to 10ish. It turned out to be the coolant pump bearing. No real sign the bearing was going other than the sound and a bit of coolant at the weep hole. Check your pump housing.
I took her out again, still making the chirping noise on deceleration starting at about 15 mph. Checked the water pump housing. No leaks anywhere. I'm just gonna have to live with it unless it gets any worse. Thanks for your reply!
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
without hearing the chirp for myself I would likely apply some break clean to the to brakes, while wheels are turned. If break clean failed to remove chirping the would likely do the same as you are thinking wait for noise to get worse to enable identifying what the cause is. Good luck, may your concern be alleviated soonest.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
I had a sound like this that plagued me on my 2009 GTV250. It ultimately went away when I replaced my variator at about 14K miles. Just another thing to consider.

Miguel
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
i put frando brakes on a few months ago and they make a very annoying jingly sound when braking. one of the reasons I regret buying these brakes.
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
i put frando brakes on a few months ago and they make a very annoying jingly sound when braking. one of the reasons I regret buying these brakes.
Helpful info. These were on my upgrade wishlist. I assume it's not limited to just the front or rear?
@yellow300gts avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
300 GTS supertech HPE

Enthusiast
@yellow300gts avatar
300 GTS supertech HPE
UTC quote
i have changed both bearings at my rear wheel, and i am about to do it again...maby it is that kind of chirping??
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
Helpful info. These were on my upgrade wishlist. I assume it's not limited to just the front or rear?
frando rear was perfect but not worth the money as stock oem rear easily locks the rear wheel. I only did the rear to match the front style.

some people here have been happy with the frando front but I never got them firm. I took it to mechanic who power bled it and also activated the abs but no luck. did all the tricks I could find like holding the caliper high when bleeding and also trying strapping the brake lever over night. nope, never been happy. And the jingle sound when braking - aarrggh - so annoying.
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
frando rear was perfect but not worth the money as stock oem rear easily locks the rear wheel. I only did the rear to match the front style.

some people here have been happy with the frando front but I never got them firm. I took it to mechanic who power bled it and also activated the abs but no luck. did all the tricks I could find like holding the caliper high when bleeding and also trying strapping the brake lever over night. nope, never been happy. And the jingle sound when braking - aarrggh - so annoying.
If the rear brake was perfect and other owners have been happy with theirs, did you explore the possibility of a defective front brake?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
If the rear brake was perfect and other owners have been happy with theirs, did you explore the possibility of a defective front brake?
I'm in Australia and I bought them from Germany. Installed myself. Having the argument about refund/replacement sounded like too much effort. Whereas if it was down the street at the local dealer and they had installed them ...

The rear are a size and design that is very similar to original so not surprised that they just worked. Front are so much bigger and have the weirdness of the line in and bleeder being right next to each other which really makes me suspicious of the layout of the channels inside the calliper being no the best thought out, and with the considerable more total piston area being pushed by the same size master cylinder ...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0113s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]