OP
UTC

Hooked
Gts super 300 '12

Hooked
Gts super 300 '12
UTC quote
Hey all I'm finally getting ready to get my GTS 300 road worthy again. My only question that I have is will one bottle of this coolant be enough to fill to required level?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
I believe the capacity is 2 liters and you have 64 ounces there, so It should be enough to fill it up. I would suggest flushing the system with water distilled or garden hose( depends on where ya live) and then add your coolant and then make sure to remove the air out of the system. There is a Robot video on a coolant flush on the internets for sure.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
please if your flushing the coolant to capture it all in a container and then take it to a proper site so they can recycle it. coolant is worse in the ground than oil and can be deadly to animals.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
please if your flushing the coolant to capture it all in a container and then take it to a proper site so they can recycle it. coolant is worse in the ground than oil and can be deadly to animals.
According to Wikipedia, as of 2012, all ethylene glycol sold in antifreeze products in the US (and some places elsewhere) has a bitter additive to make it unpalatable to mammals. That toxicity is pretty much the only environmental downside, unlike oil.

So I dispute that it's worse in the ground than oil, which kills many other organisms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol#Toxicity
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
One bottle was enough but I bought a second one because I had the OE pink coolant in the machine beforehand and found out coolant brands shouldn't be mixed, so bought a second jug and flushed a 2nd time new green coolant with new green coolant a few days and about 50 miles later.

Not sure if the OE pink and Maxima green play nicely together but I didn't want to risk it as there is no way I got out all the old OE pink coolant out.

Could have flushed with distilled water and did the job once but then wouldn't there be water left in the system and ultimately not be 50/50 coolant/water blend?
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
Could have flushed with distilled water and did the job once but then wouldn't there be water left in the system and ultimately not be 50/50 coolant/water blend?
I don't really know how much residual liquid is still present after a flush (someone has to have measured) but I don't think it's enough to throw off the ratio much, and on a practical basis, is there anything sacred about an exact ratio anyway?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
I don't really know how much residual liquid is still present after a flush (someone has to have measured) but I don't think it's enough to throw off the ratio much, and on a practical basis, is there anything sacred about an exact ratio anyway?
Only if you are contemplating leaving the scoot in temperatures nearing -40 degrees (F or C).
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Only if you are contemplating leaving the scoot in temperatures nearing -40 degrees (F or C).
So, basically Bob Copelands 'hood.

Love that magical convergence of Centigrade and Fahrenheit. That's math I can handle.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
So, basically Bob Copelands 'hood.

Love that magical convergence of Centigrade and Fahrenheit. That's math I can handle.
28C and 82F is another good yardstick. The pleasant summer temperatures.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0160s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0058s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]