@pepperoncino avatar
UTC

Lurker
250 GTS ie 2006

Lurker
@pepperoncino avatar
250 GTS ie 2006
UTC quote
Hello everyone, my first post here, so sorry if my question is a repeat.

I have a 2006 250 GTS ie and I have just hit the 30000km mark the other week. I have replaced the belt about 6000km ago and at this stage I would like to install a J.Costa variatore and combine it with a Malossi fixed pulley.

Would that be a problem since neither component is stock? Somewhere in other parts of the forum I have read that only the inner mechanism of the J.Costa variator is unique, but the other end is stock. I am guessing the same is true for the Malossi pulley? Below I am copy/pasting the information of the components I wanna modify. Thanks and happy riding!

Variator J.COSTA EVO3 SYM GTS/ X-Motion 250

Fixed pulley MALOSSI Ventilvar Piaggio 125->300 H2O 4T Ø128
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Welcome, Pepperoncino. I'm glad you found us! I don't have the answers you seek, but I'm positive someone here does. If you post a few alluring pics of your scooter, I'm sure someone in the know will help you out soon.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
First off, the Evo3 is an old and discontinued model The most current one is the J Costa Pro. JCosta made some changes to the design and composition of the components when they went to the Pro, so it will last longer. There is a delivery company in Germany that put 27,000km on a Liberty 50, in less than three years, without servicing the JCosta variator once. So they seem to hold up well. The correct JCosta part number for your scooter is IT624PRO.
I just put a JCosta variator in my Yamaha, and none of the parts are like the original variator. I am using an aftermarket outer plate (Malossi doesn't make one for my model, or I would use that), and it works fine. I have run two tanks of gas so far with the JCosta, and while I can report no problems, that's not enough time to give you real feedback about it.

That said, I like it, and I will probably use it for at least part of a 5000+km event that involves riding scooters quickly for 8 days straight. Acceleration is quicker than stock, and it holds speed better going up hills.

Most people don't have access to a dyno, and seat of the pants testing can be as much about what you think it does as what it actually does. So I have a long stretch of road leading to a straight incline up a steep hill that I use to test changes in variator, roller weights, etc. The road is steep enough that cars slide back down it when it's snowing, and it slows down every sub 300cc scooter I've run it up. I turn the corner onto the road with the hill and hold it wide open. Then I see how fast the bike is moving before the drop on the speedometer, when I start to climb, and what the speed is when I get to the top, before the speed starts to increase again. With the JCosta variator, my scooter has a higher speed both at the bottom and the top than the stock variator, and the dropoff in speed isn't as great. While this isn't by any means an exact test of the product, it does give me a much better idea of what's going on than riding around the block a couple of times and trying to decide how much better or worse something is.
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
Motovista, what are you comparing the J.Costa with? The standard variator with standard rollers? One can get most of those benefits just by installing lighter rollers. I use 12.5 gram rollers in the standard variator in my GTS300, and can't feel much seat-of-pants difference between that and a Costa or Polini variator (I have both sitting in a drawer in the shed).

I also have a straight stretch of road and a long steep hill where I test my mods.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Pepperoncino wrote:
I have read that only the inner mechanism of the J.Costa variator is unique, but the other end is stock. I am guessing the same is true for the Malossi pulley?
I cannot say with certainty what the pulley angle is for a JCosta for a Vespa. For other models it varies from stock 15° to 13.5°. It could be 14° which is the same as the MALOSSI Ventilvar. So there is no reason not to use both together if you wish.
OP
@pepperoncino avatar
UTC

Lurker
250 GTS ie 2006

Lurker
@pepperoncino avatar
250 GTS ie 2006
UTC quote
Thank you everybody for the answers. It is super - interesting, as I had no idea that the J.Costa Evo was the discontinued model and there is a newer one... In the end, I decided to slow down on the purchase and do some more research before I go ahead with the mod.

Grazie!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0126s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0069s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]