OP
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
Greetings, I have been away from the forum for a few years, because of life. I am wanting to buy a Vespa for wife so she can ride with me. She won't be able to keep up with my GTS 250 on highway or bypass speeds. This would be a Vespa for errands and around town riding. We are in our mid 50s, wife is smallish, 5 feet 3, 130 pounds. She is pretty strong for her size, teaches yoga on the side. She has never ridden for herself. Midwest weather allows for riding about 7 months out of the year. Primavera 50 would avoid her having to get motorcycle license, but I am thinking of newer Primavera 150, top speed of 59 mph sounds much better than 35 mph, even around town. I am guessing better pickup on the larger engine to get out of the way of inattentive cage drivers. I can find the specs for these scooters online, but nowhere is the dry weight listed. I am guessing around 250 pounds. Do any smaller persons ride these models? Is the weight burdensome? Do they still make the ET models, and if so are those smaller frames?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
According to the owner's manual, kerb weight of a Primavera 150 is 126 kg (277 lb).
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Have your wife sit on your 250 and see if she can handle it, or try sitting on a Primavera at a dealer's. I know some shorter people who ride Vespas without any trouble. Lower seats are an option. I think your wife will do fine.

I definitely think you'll want a 150cc, not a 50. Thirty to thirty-five mph is too limiting. A 150 should be able to go on most Iowa highways; I've enjoyed riding mine around Minnesota and Wisconsin on many occasions.

Get a Prima 150 and have fun!
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Vespa Primavera/Sprint 150 = 126kg / 277 lb kerb weight ready to ride, incl. min 90% tank filling (max. 8.0liters / 2.1gal) and 0.85l oil. So the dry weight (incl. battery) should be around 120kg / 264 lb.

Vespa Primavera/Sprint 50 = 115kg / 253 lb kerb weight ready to ride, incl. 90% tank filling (max. 7.5liters / 2.0gal) and 0.85l oil. So the dry weight (incl. battery) should be around 109kg / 240 lb.

GT, GTS, GTV = Largeframe
Primavera/Sprint/LX = Smallframe

The nice thing about a Primavera or Sprint 150 is that it is very easy to lower the rear. This is not possible with a PV/Sprint 50: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/height-reducer-kit-sip-rear_MV667872
⚠️ Last edited by GermanGTSDriver on UTC; edited 3 times
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
If a 50 is what she wants, I'd suggest a Metropolitan. They have a max speed of maybe 38 mph, weigh just under 200 wet, and have a low seat height of 28". From experience, riding a 50cc is very limiting, and with traffic zipping by they can be frightening for the uninitiated.

A Buddy 125 is about 30 lbs more with a seat height of 30", but they can do 50+ mph, which would allow her to keep up with most surface street traffic. I have a friend that put tons of miles on a Buddy and she rode all over Arizona as long as she could get there without a highway.

Despite their size, scooters are just as dangerous to ride as motorcycles on the open road. Drivers will not see you, road debris can be deadly, two wheels don't behave the same as four, etc... I strongly suggest getting her proper gear, and into an MSF course, ASAP. Don't worry about having a scooter available to learn on, it really doesn't matter. What does is the safety and confidence she will gain because of it. When she passes, she may be able to get her M endorsement without taking any additional tests with motor vehicles dpt.
Miri & Mori, our Metropolitans.
Miri & Mori, our Metropolitans.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
When my partner first showed interest in riding with me, I thought an LX150 would be just the thing (this was several years ago). She is 5'3" and could just not get comfortable with the seat height of a modern Vespa. After trying a number of scooters, she chose a Buddy 125 which she still rides today. Be sure, in your enthusiasm, you don't push her in a direction that undermines her self confidence in the critical first few weeks and months of riding. And be sure to sign her up for the MSF basic course.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
What does your wife think, she will be the one who takes the risk of being on the roads with some very unsafe drivers. I would want to have the ability to escape from a potential problem a 155cc or large cc scoot will allow. There are many good used 250cc scoots available for very reasonable prices if the mrs. can handle the slight weight and size 0f a 250 verses a 150. A 50cc scoot ,even just around town, is just not fast enough to make me feel safe around other traffic.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
Good points, all. Yeah, the MSF Safety course is offered at the Fairgrounds about one mile from our house. She will definitely be doing that. Seat height is an issue even for me on my GTS 250, I am 5 feet 7 and can just barely straddle mine flatfooted. She likes the Look of the Primavera, but comfort and something you can handle is more important than style....
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
It may seem a disadvantage to have to get an MC endorsement, but the training is an excellent idea for any PTW, including a 50cc. She will gain skill and confidence as well. I'm with the 125+ camp, unless you're in a max 30 mph situation, and even then a 50 can be slow if people are speeding. The "getting out of the way" factor has always seemed like a big plus to me.

And, be sure to listen to what she wants, rather than what you think she should have. If she's going to enjoy this endeaver, she has to feel comfortable.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
Pretty sure the Primavera 150 and 50 are the same exact bike
One just has a dangerously and embarrassingly slow under powered (for many riding environments) 50cc motor

The bigger 150 is safer, more fun, more valuable, more useful and way more resell-able.

My daughter is about the same height as your wife,
she started riding about a year ago, initially the 150 Vespas were scary tall and heavy for her, so I started her on a used Buddy 125 with a low seat height, after a couple of months she got the confidence and skill to ride the larger Vespa 150 scooters like a champ.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Walk, then run.
If she's never ridden, get her a good little 50cc scooter like a Buddy 50 or a Metropolitan, and let her ride it until she is ready for something faster. Errors catch up with you quicker on a bigger bike, and by the time you recover, you are going a lot faster than on a 50cc scooter.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
The weight of a Primavera/ Sprint is not that bad, but they are tall

I'd say that especially for the first bike, being able to flat foot both feet would be really nice. The closer to this, the better - even if the bike weights more.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
at 5'3 I'd suggest slightly lowering a primavera/sprint about 2cm using. (and like others here I'd suggest the 150 not the 50)

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/height-reducer-kit-sip-rear_MV667872

@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
When my partner first showed interest in riding with me, I thought an LX150 would be just the thing (this was several years ago). She is 5'3" and could just not get comfortable with the seat height of a modern Vespa. After trying a number of scooters, she chose a Buddy 125 which she still rides today. Be sure, in your enthusiasm, you don't push her in a direction that undermines her self confidence in the critical first few weeks and months of riding. And be sure to sign her up for the MSF basic course.
At 5'3" I'd also suggest the Buddy 125. Fast enough to work in the city and out of town but smaller than the Vespas with 1.5" lower seat and has the option of a low profile seat that takes another inch off.

Frankly I wouldn't want anyone to ride without taking the MSF course. Even people who have ridden for years find it helpful. My brother forgot to transfer his motorcycle license when he moved states as he and his wife agreed so sell their bikes when she was pregnant and not replace them until their youngest was in school. It wasn't until he went to buy a bike he realized he didn't have the endorsement anymore. Said he learned a few things and was reminded of others taking it. Plus it will help her confidence to take and pass it.

Bonus is if it should be dropped panels for a Buddy are cheap to replace. When our son started riding ours he thought the cream color "too girly". He wanted to rattle can paint it. I said no so he replaces the front crown and rear cowls with black, two toning it for under $200.
UTC

Vespa GTS SS

Vespa GTS SS
UTC quote
I just got my 300, and just today sit on a new 150 at the dealer to judge for the very same wife reason, my best guess is it allows for 1" less inseam than the 300 mostly due to the narrower from portion of the seat. There is also options to add an adapter to the rear shock to drop it another 1" if I am not mistaken. That's my thoughts.
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped
UTC quote
My wife first learned to ride on a 1996 Honda Elite 80 and then transitioned to a 2012 Buddy 170i. It wasn't until she got comfortable with those bikes, did she get her 2021 GTS 300 Super. She's a very skilled rider now because of her gradual progression on smaller bikes. Putting someone on a big frame bike, in my opinion, without any real-world riding experience on smaller bikes, is a recipe for disaster.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200

Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
UTC quote
I say go big. My wife is 5'4" 120 and rides the heck out of her GT200. That's the same size as your GTS. She also can ride my Harley and it's 2.5-3 times as heavy, but admittedly I'm puckering every second when she's on it.
Experience and confidence are probably the biggest factors and I can see how having a lighter bike will absolutely make things easier but when she gets that experience she's gonna long for a bike that can keep up with you. If she's got the right mindset it would work.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Which one does your wife want? Show her a picture of an LXV 150?

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@baudler avatar
UTC

Foiled
300 - 'Red' Primavera

Foiled
@baudler avatar
300 - 'Red' Primavera
UTC quote
I found a used Vespa ET2 (50) scoot for my wife. It had a used 'patina' and we weren't scared that she would drop it. Once she got used to it, she wanted more so we got her a LX150 and she got her motorcycle license. We kept the 50 and I did some light mods to it. Vespa's don't take up too much space….wink wink
@bearcat avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110

Hooked
@bearcat avatar
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110
UTC quote
@ coolcatlaw, to initially answer your question I'd lean towards a Primavera/Sprint 150. Having said that, I'm in the buy a used Buddy 125 or equivalent camp and take the motorcycle safety course. Ride that for a season or two, build experience and confidence and then go for the gold! A new rider has a good chance of dropping a bike. The steel body Vespa is expensive to repair when dented and scratched.

My wife went that route with a used Honda NHX 110 and sure enough it got dropped and scratched! Her confidence has soared, and she rails on it now! Currently we have a crash damaged Vespa 150 repair project, when finished will be her upgrade.

The only advantage a 50cc has is getting around the driver license requirement in most states. There's a reason they call them DUI bikes. A weekend of training gets her a license and some base safety awareness skills.

Good luck!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0193s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0110s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]