OP
@bald_wasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie

Addicted
@bald_wasp avatar
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
UTC quote
I would think so.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
It is in my book.
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]
UTC quote
Seems like a steal, yes. But beware a sitting Vespa. I purchased a similar "deal". A 2018 GTS 300 that had be sitting for almost three years and had three (yes 3) miles on it. I no longer own it. I changed the fluids and did everything prudently and appropriately before riding it. Before 6,000 miles, it started leaking coolant. I tried to fix it. I sucked at fixing it. I sold it for much less than I purchased it, even though the market was "hot". I now ride a Honda. I miss my Vespas. They were gorgeous and fast, but my experience was that they were not reliable. Yes, I know... I'm a heretic for posting this. Let me save you all time: "Why are you on Modern Vespa you apostate bastard? My Vespa has 90,000 miles on it and all I've needed is maintenance items." Sorry, that's not my experience, and I've owned two GTS300s. But, I'm honest. So, if my Honda PCX starts leaking coolant at 6,000 miles, I'll make sure you know. Or, if the PCX won't start reliably because of a faulty ECU, I'll make sure you all know. Or, if the PCX's HT coil fails (in a snow storm), I'll report it here. Or, if the PCX's HT wire gets loose from it's harness and burns through, and the PCX leaves me stranded on the highway, I'll let MV forum members know. Or, if the PCX's check engine light stays on for hundreds of miles for no reason and no one can figure it out, not even the dealer, I'll report it here.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
My initial reaction was that the price seemed a bit high for a 9 year old GTV. But I poked around a bit and it's actually a pretty good price. Especially for such a clean example with only 122 miles on it.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:
Seems like a steal, yes. But beware a sitting Vespa. I purchased a similar "deal". A 2018 GTS 300 that had be sitting for almost three years and had three (yes 3) miles on it. I no longer own it. I changed the fluids and did everything prudently and appropriately before riding it. Before 6,000 miles, it started leaking coolant. I tried to fix it. I sucked at fixing it. I sold it for much less than I purchased it, even though the market was "hot".
This started as good advice. Was about to upvote it.

Then it derailed into a tangent about the reliability of Hondas.

The amount of time sitting would concern me too, but I'm not a mechanic. Curious to see e.g. greasy125's take on when low miles becomes a detriment rather than a feature.
@bruceh avatar
UTC

2020 GTS 300 Super, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan

@bruceh avatar
2020 GTS 300 Super, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan
UTC quote
Low mileage like that really can be a detriment.

On the other hand as long as it starts and runs okay, and there's no rust in the battery box or underneath then you're probably generally okay.

Being handy with a wrench is always a good idea for any older vehicle that's been sitting but other than that it seems like a pretty good deal, especially with all the accessories.

Bruce
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150
UTC quote
It's poop brown that's all the deterrent I need not to buy it!
UTC

Vespa GTS SS

Vespa GTS SS
UTC quote
I'd buy it if I was looking and it was within a half day trip, prices are up and these used bikes just cost more than a year or 2 or 3 ago... Everyone has to adjust.
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:
Seems like a steal, yes. But beware a sitting Vespa. I purchased a similar "deal". A 2018 GTS 300 that had be sitting for almost three years and had three (yes 3) miles on it. I no longer own it. I changed the fluids and did everything prudently and appropriately before riding it. Before 6,000 miles, it started leaking coolant. I tried to fix it. I sucked at fixing it. I sold it for much less than I purchased it, even though the market was "hot". I now ride a Honda. I miss my Vespas. They were gorgeous and fast, but my experience was that they were not reliable. Yes, I know... I'm a heretic for posting this. Let me save you all time: "Why are you on Modern Vespa you apostate bastard? My Vespa has 90,000 miles on it and all I've needed is maintenance items." Sorry, that's not my experience, and I've owned two GTS300s. But, I'm honest. So, if my Honda PCX starts leaking coolant at 6,000 miles, I'll make sure you know. Or, if the PCX won't start reliably because of a faulty ECU, I'll make sure you all know. Or, if the PCX's HT coil fails (in a snow storm), I'll report it here. Or, if the PCX's HT wire gets loose from it's harness and burns through, and the PCX leaves me stranded on the highway, I'll let MV forum members know. Or, if the PCX's check engine light stays on for hundreds of miles for no reason and no one can figure it out, not even the dealer, I'll report it here.
What stops you from replying this way to EVERY thread on this forum? Your skill at reading the room? Boo. I gotta believe there's a Honda forum somewhere where you can go meet the nicest people.
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Tires are shot. Coolant is shot, perhaps brake fluid is bad, gasoline will be sludge. That is, if it hasn't been serviced…Battery, clock battery, perhaps the drive belt? Grease is likely solidified in swing arms and steering, wheel bearings? Maybe none of this but you will need to look.
@chipshot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2014 BV 350

Enthusiast
@chipshot avatar
2014 BV 350
UTC quote
I bought a 7 yr old scooter w 660 miles and a 13 yr old motorcycle w 1500 miles.
Maybe I lucked out, but neither ended up being a problem. Or at least not a major, ongoing problem.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
About 2 months ago I was contacted to refresh a 2014 GTS300s with under 4k miles that had not been started since 2016. I had been garaged and covered, but that's it. The owner wanted to get it running and sell as she was moving house. A clean out of the fuel system, fluid changes and a new battery and it fired right up, ran great. Sold it for $3500 with full disclosure of work done and future maintenance needed (tires, belt, etc...). So it depends on the condition of the scoot as well as where it is being sold that drives the price. In that area, I would like to see the price closer to $4,000 knowing the work and parts it will need.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:
Honda makes good machines, but they all have faults. I'm glad you like yours, but if you don't work on it yourself, wait until you see the bill for the valve adjustments,. Most of the back panels need removing to get to them. On the Yamaha Smax, there is a small door to remove - a whole lot less work.
UTC

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech
UTC quote
DiBiasio wrote:
What stops you from replying this way to EVERY thread on this forum? Your skill at reading the room? Boo. I gotta believe there's a Honda forum somewhere where you can go meet the nicest people.
Why this?
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I guess my point for the above was that all the scoots have their pros and cons - there are no perfect machines.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
UTC quote
Heed theschuman warning,
motorbikes that sit unused for long periods of time can have major issues.

I'd think the 6000 mile coolant leak on theschuman's Vespa could very well be related to longterm storage.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Found it's little brother
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Honda makes good machines, but they all have faults. I'm glad you like yours, but if you don't work on it yourself, wait until you see the bill for the valve adjustments,. Most of the back panels need removing to get to them. On the Yamaha Smax, there is a small door to remove - a whole lot less work.
Reading Honda forum for yrs....my impression was that the pcx neither needed nor received a valve adjustment during ownership........probably like most scooters, including Vespas.
O.S.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Many don't get the valve adjustment as some people think some sort of dark arts are needed to do the procedure, right up there with a carb rebuild/tune. Or are lazy. It is one of the first things I do when working on a scoot.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Many don't get the valve adjustment as some people think some sort of dark arts are needed to do the procedure, right up there with a carb rebuild/tune. Or are lazy. It is one of the first things I do when working on a scoot.
Shhhhhhhhh... Don't give the game away. Everyone will start driving up the prices of the older carbed models if they realize how easy these tasks really are. Laughing emoticon
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Shhhhhhhhh... Don't give the game away. Everyone will start driving up the prices of the older carbed models if they realize how easy these tasks really are. Laughing emoticon
Best laugh I had today - thank you ROFL emoticon
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
apex wrote:
Why this?
Because it's a Vespa forum?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The hysteria about all the problems Vespas with low miles have is such unbelievable nonsense. It's almost like the people who claim running seafoam and a couple of tanks of fuel through a bike will clean the fuel system. You know what works just as well? Running a couple of tanks of fuel through a bike.
I would much rather find something with 500 miles that's sat in a garage than with 15K miles that's been impeccibly maintained.
You can't put miles back in. And you don't need to replace a laundry list of parts to ride them.

OTOH, a lot of bikes are parked because they stopped running, and six years later, that's not what the seller remembers.
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
I would like to chime in here on the reliability issues. I am relatively new to vespa's or rather piaggio's but the mechanicals are the same.

I have a 2006 piaggio BV 250 with 32,000 miles on it. It was rode hard and put away wet through most of its life. Obviously left outside and minimal maintenance.

I bought it because it was cheap and I wanted to see how I liked a maxi scoot. I already knew I loved the modern small frames... the piaggio liberty in my case. It was also a research project to see if I liked working on them, how it had held up and how it was to work on.

I think with modern manufacturing it is always possible to get a lemon no matter what we are talking about, regardless of reputation for quality and then the old how it was taken care of and how it was operated comes into play.

In my experience the old beat up piaggio has held up as well as my old beat up honda (1993 xr250r military issue). They both have stuff that is just plain worn out but they both still run good.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200

Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
UTC quote
Bought an '06 GT200 about 3 or so years ago. Had 522 miles. Within a couple months the water pump started leaking so I replaced it. It's been bulletproof ever since.
OP
@bald_wasp avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bald_wasp avatar
UTC quote
Jesus. A simple yes or no would have been acceptable.

w.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Bald Wasp wrote:
Jesus. A simple yes or no would have been acceptable.

w.
If that's what you wanted, you should have made it into a poll.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0252s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0118s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]