OP
UTC

UTC quote
Sold our hardly used LX150 about 5 years ago when our first child was coming, we had no garage space in the city, but we've regretted it. My wife's 40th birthday is coming up and she still talks about "Vezzie" our yellow LX150. Is there a yellow Vespa available anywhere? She doesn't need much just to cruise around our suburb but she would love one (as would I). Where can I find yellow??
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Look on CL as well as FB Marketplace. If she just wants a 50, there are loads of them up for sale at any given time from people who, like you, thought they would use it but it didn't happen. Honestly, the price will probably be close enough to a 150 to get that instead.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
It might not hurt to put your location up to help you out.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Some people are stupid crazy in pricing their Vespas, seriously $4,000 for a 2007 LX? Yellow isn't all that rare. https://www.smartcycleguide.com/motorcycles-for-sale/vespa-lx-150-yellow even the one in Georgia is over a grand less. There is a 2098 LX 50 on Facebook marketplace for $1,600 though personally I'd prefer the 2018 green Sprint 150 for $3,800.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
It might not hurt to put your location up to help you out.
Ahh sorry! Chicago suburbs. The original LX 150 I picked up near Indianapolis, put it in a trailer, it was a great story and great bike.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Look on CL as well as FB Marketplace. If she just wants a 50, there are loads of them up for sale at any given time from people who, like you, thought they would use it but it didn't happen. Honestly, the price will probably be close enough to a 150 to get that instead.
Thanks. I'm afraid we won't like the 50 and that's what seems to be available in yellow "Giallo Estate." I have to get yellow we both love it.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Some people are stupid crazy in pricing their Vespas, seriously $4,000 for a 2007 LX? Yellow isn't all that rare. https://www.smartcycleguide.com/motorcycles-for-sale/vespa-lx-150-yellow even the one in Georgia is over a grand less. There is a 2098 LX 50 on Facebook marketplace for $1,600 though personally I'd prefer the 2018 green Sprint 150 for $3,800.
Thank you I inquired about both. I checked other websites and these didn't come up so thanks for sharing.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
UTC quote
Kinda yellow and good excuse to visit San Clemente CA/Start line for 2023 Cannonball Run
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
Kinda yellow and good excuse to visit San Clemente CA/Start line for 2023 Cannonball Run
Ooh that's a nice color but not yellow enough for us Thanks for sharing!
@bruceh avatar
UTC

2020 GTS 300 Super, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan

@bruceh avatar
2020 GTS 300 Super, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan
UTC quote
If worst comes to worst buy a white 150, then get a graphics wrap place to do a yellow wrap for you, shouldn't be that big a deal.

Haven't done it myself so don't truly know, but a friend was part of a business doing just that and it didn't seem such a big deal to do it.

Worth checking out if color is the real holdup.

Just my $.02

Bruce
OP
UTC

UTC quote
BruceH wrote:
If worst comes to worst buy a white 150, then get a graphics wrap place to do a yellow wrap for you, shouldn't be that big a deal.

Haven't done it myself so don't truly know, but a friend was part of a business doing just that and it didn't seem such a big deal to do it.

Worth checking out if color is the real holdup.

Just my $.02

Bruce
That's a great idea. I will look into it and see what it costs. Yes color really is a holdup for me/us.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Wife's 40th bday next month and she just told me today she's been looking at yellow vespas again online I think I know what my gift is gonna be!

What's wrong with Vespa downers grove? I didn't see your bbb post there.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
samsoccer7 wrote:
Wife's 40th bday next month and she just told me today she's been looking at yellow vespas again online I think I know what my gift is gonna be!
And if a 150 was what she liked before (and remembers) - it should certainly be a 150. CrackedEgg offered good tips about recent 150 Sprint's in yellow. If worse came to worse, you could always have a 150 in another color, such as white, repainted. The heart wants what the heart wants.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Well the LX150 we had had a top case, metal side bar and cowl protectors and she found it too heavy. Oh and a center stand. Do we know if these 150s without all that stuff will be more comfortable with her? She's also 5'3" so I'm worried about height but I suppose I can lower it as I've seen others do. She said emphatically no to a buddy
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
samsoccer7 wrote:
Well the LX150 we had had a top case, metal side bar and cowl protectors and she found it too heavy. Oh and a center stand. Do we know if these 150s without all that stuff will be more comfortable with her? She's also 5'3" so I'm worried about height but I suppose I can lower it as I've seen others do. She said emphatically no to a buddy
Well, I doubt that the mentioned accessories make enough difference in weight for the rider to notice. Likewise the small difference in weight between the 150 and the 50 is really not noticeable to the rider in my experience. I can understand that the seat height may be an issue for your wife (my partner is also 5'3"). You have probably seen some of the posts here about modifying the thickness of the seat pad or repositioning the lower attachment point for the rear shock.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
So I inquired, they said they had it, then today he tells me they only have the Sprint 50 in yellow. Then he tells me to order a yellow 150 on the website, and of course I can't seem to figure that out, it's not an option. Am I going crazy or does this guy not know what's going on?
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
samsoccer7 wrote:
So I inquired, they said they had it, then today he tells me they only have the Sprint 50 in yellow. Then he tells me to order a yellow 150 on the website, and of course I can't seem to figure that out, it's not an option. Am I going crazy or does this guy not know what's going on?
Check out the cycle trader one then. Private seller so maybe better. Sounds good from the description.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
Dealer website isn't working for me either.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
CrackedEgg wrote:
Dealer website isn't working for me either.
But it's not possible to order a Sprint 150 in yellow right? All I see for yellow is Sprint 50.

I inquired with that one, it's a bit of a hike for me but I might have to do it.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
samsoccer7 wrote:
But it's not possible to order a Sprint 150 in yellow right? All I see for yellow is Sprint 50.

Yellow 150 Sprint is possible. I can't load any models tho site seems a little broken for me.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
samsoccer7 wrote:
That is what I see on the Vespa USA website as well, so I presume that it is unavailable.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Vespa Sprint 50/125/150 in Giallo estate (yellow) is no longer available (worldwide) since end of 22 / beginning of 23. So you have to find a dealer who have this color in stock.
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
Vespa Sprint 50/125/150 in Giallo estate (yellow) is no longer available (worldwide) since end of 22 / beginning of 23. So you have to find a dealer who have this color in stock.
samsoccer7 better go get that cycle trader one then
OP
UTC

UTC quote
CrackedEgg wrote:
samsoccer7 better go get that cycle trader one then
If I'm to a buy a new Vespa that's 2 years old and has been sitting there, new battery, what maintenance do I need to do? Change the oil and gas? Flush something? I know the carburetors get jammed up right?
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
UTC quote
It shouldn't need anything. I would change the oil and filter and put air in the tires if necessary. It's only 2 years old with 6 miles on it so everything else should be fine. 2021 Vespas don't have carburetors.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
It shouldn't need anything. I would change the oil and filter and put air in the tires if necessary. It's only 2 years old with 6 miles on it so everything else should be fine. 2021 Vespas don't have carburetors.
+ Change brake fluid! Brake fluid is subject to an aging process and must be replaced every 24 months (even if the vehicle is not driven).
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I've had my GT200 for almost 7 years, I've changed the brake fluid twice. It was 10 years old with 1800 miles when I bought it and probably had the original brake fluid in it. I did change it, but it looked new. I've changed it once since then. It still looks new. Modern brake fluid last longer than brake fluid used to. If it has ABS, changing the brake fluid can be a real hassle. Air gets trapped in the ABS pump, and it can require a machine to properly bleed it. On a non ABS system, simple gravity bleeding works fine.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I've had my GT200 for almost 7 years, I've changed the brake fluid twice. It was 10 years old with 1800 miles when I bought it and probably had the original brake fluid in it. I did change it, but it looked new. I've changed it once since then. It still looks new. Modern brake fluid last longer than brake fluid used to. If it has ABS, changing the brake fluid can be a real hassle. Air gets trapped in the ABS pump, and it can require a machine to properly bleed it. On a non ABS system, simple gravity bleeding works fine.
I'm sick of reading such life-threatening bullshit from self-proclaimed experts all the time! "Looks new", so if you could see the quality with the naked eye... If it has become gray / black, then it's long gone... "Oh, it's difficult to change, then I just leave it like that"... Such nonsense! Has already a reason why there are workshops.

Certainly also has a reason why ALL vehicle manufacturers (car, motorcycle, etc.) prescribe a brake fluid change every 24 months.

Brake fluid is "hygroscopic", that is, it absorbs water. The older it is, the more water it has absorbed from the air. As a result, its temperature stability has decreased, and it could begins to "boil" correspondingly sooner.

When it gets hot, real steam bubbles form, and there is a great danger that the brakes will suddenly fail during extreme use where the brakes get very hot. This is because the vapor bubbles can be compressed, which is why the pressure built up by the brake lever is not passed on to the brake pistons. Result: The brake lever can be pulled through almost to the handle, the braking effect is zero.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I worked for a government fleet services department for 26 years. Standard procedure was to change brake fluid every 5 years. We used DOT 4 fluid in everything. I changed a lot of brake fluid, and replaced a lot of rotors/drums and pads/shoes. I almost never had to replace a master cylinder, caliper, wheel cylinder, or brake line. I never saw any signs of damage to the brake system due to not changing the brake fluid often enough, and never even heard of a brake failure on one of our vehicles. But you can certainly change it as often as you want. We changed engine oil every 5000 miles. I change the oil in my own vehicles every 3000 miles.

I was ASE certified on brakes, as well as several other things. It was required by my employer.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
I worked for a government fleet services department for 26 years. Standard procedure was to change brake fluid every 5 years. We used DOT 4 fluid in everything. I changed a lot of brake fluid, and replaced a lot of rotors/drums and pads/shoes. I almost never had to replace a master cylinder, caliper, wheel cylinder, or brake line. I never saw any signs of damage to the brake system due to not changing the brake fluid often enough, and never even heard of a brake failure on one of our vehicles. But you can certainly change it as often as you want. We changed engine oil every 5000 miles. I change the oil in my own vehicles every 3000 miles.

I was ASE certified on brakes, as well as several other things. It was required by my employer.
Thank you all for your help. What an awesome community. I put a deposit down and will drive in the next couple weeks to go pick it up since it's 3+ hrs away. I plan to get a hitch carrier and bring it back.

Next question, helmet for my wife that doesn't look ridiculous. Retro half? What color, yellow? Blue? Full face but woman-friendly around town? She won't take highways or even big roads but safety is safety.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
samsoccer7 wrote:
Thank you all for your help. What an awesome community. I put a deposit down and will drive in the next couple weeks to go pick it up since it's 3+ hrs away. I plan to get a hitch carrier and bring it back.

Next question, helmet for my wife that doesn't look ridiculous. Retro half? What color, yellow? Blue? Full face but woman-friendly around town? She won't take highways or even big roads but safety is safety.
Congrats on the scooter!

Let her try on and pick her own helmet. Fit is most important.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Congrats on the scooter!

Any ideas on a color at least? I want to get her SOMETHING for the big reveal so she can ride it asap. I agree with you though... Where do I get one of these?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Plain white is most visible* and goes with any color. And you can probably find any size, style, and fit in white. I saw one of these the other day which I kind of liked --

* Except perhaps hi-viz, which I think looks awful with pure yellow.
LS2 Stream "Paisley"
LS2 Stream "Paisley"
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Congrats on the scooter!

^^^This!
OP
UTC

UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Plain white is most visible* and goes with any color. And you can probably find any size, style, and fit in white. I saw one of these the other day which I kind of liked --

* Except perhaps hi-viz, which I think looks awful with pure yellow.
beautiful
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote

I think Vespa ABS pumps are at risk when extending brake fluid much past 2 years, from my e-research can be a problem with Harley ABS pumps too.
Automobiles seem more forgiving
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
samsoccer7 wrote:
I plan to get a hitch carrier and bring it back.
Congrats! You can rent a motorcycle specific trailer from uhaul for like $20 a day. Towing vehicle needs a 4 pin connection for brake, signal and running lights though.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0218s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0034s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]