@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Okay, riding my wife's LX into work today I was thinking about someone asking me if my sidelined GTS was using oil. I was surprised earlier this year to find the oil low on checking it, but then again my memory gets a bit fuzzy on when I actually checked it last. I am pretty good at regular checks, but like the rear tire going flat on the LX a month ago (that, by the way has been holding air with nothing more than more frequent (read:daily) checks, sometimes these things slip through the cracks.

Anyway, obviously the best measure is actually watching the level, but there are more subjective things like blue smoke and the smell of burning oil. I suppose to answer that question I could[/url]ride my (noisy) scooter around for a couple hundred and see what happens.... Nerd emoticon

So getting around, finally to my question, how reliable are smell and sight as hints that there's a problem?

With any luck I'll get started on investigating my real or imagined clattering noise this weekend....
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
When ever I change a rear tire, I have room to degrease the engine. Every scoot I've owned gets oily around the motor. Even if it doesn't drip off the motor, it's still oil loss.
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
When ever I change a rear tire, I have room to degrease the engine. Every scoot I've owned gets oily around the motor. Even if it doesn't drip off the motor, it's still oil loss.
Just to be clear, the flat tire and oil loss are on two separate scooters. The loss I'd be concerned about is notable on the dipstick...
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
In old engines with mineral oil the blue smoke was a clear sign for the engine burning oil.
I do not know if that is still the case with these modern synthetic oils.
Even 2-stroke engines running on this special 2-stroke fuel-oil mixture do not smoke anymore.

A colleague of mine has a GTS 300 and did some 100k km with it.
On regular oil level checks he found his engine was consuming most of its oil within a few 100 km. No oil leak, no abnormal oil in the air filter, so it must have been burned by the engine. But he never noticed any blue smoke.

He decided to dismount the engine and give it a new cilinder and piston. He told me the old piston and cilinder were really worn.
Now, no more oil consumption and the engine running much better.
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Interesting point, Peter about newer synthetics. All of my experience with "oil burners" has been with older cars belching smelly blue smoke. They were pretty numerous decades ago and seem absent now but for the odd one that's likely to explode soon....

Based on your friend's experience, maybe a nice hour long ride this weekend if my engine's up to it might be instructive. Nerd emoticon

It certainly would go together with the engine noise. Reasonable chance I missed something when doing the head gasket last year.
⚠️ Last edited by fledermaus on UTC; edited 1 time
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Switch to 10-40 and see if that slows or aleviates the issue.
I promise you won't hurt the bike.

And if it continues, at least you know how to take the engine apart. Because there's probably learning how to install a new set of rings in your future.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
And if it continues, at least you know how to take the engine apart. Because there's probably learning how to install a new set of rings in your future.
Doesn't his wife deserve a 190 kit anyway?
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Doesn't his wife deserve a 190 kit anyway?
Wrong bike! Sorry, initial story seems to be a bit confusing

As for the missus, this is Use It or Lose It year. :

(Although it's standing in as a part time commuter)
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
(...)
It certainly would go together with then engine noise. Reasonable chance I missed something when doing the head gasket last year.
Maybe you missed the oil seals on the valve stems?
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
Maybe you missed the oil seals on the valve stems?
I didn't get down that far, just the head gasket. Wish it were something I could anticipate before tearing it down, but I guess it's not that easy.

Been dragging my feet a bit but scooter's on the lift...going to check valve clearances just in case that has something to do with the noise, but I don't expect it to be that...but I'm heading that way anyway....
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
I didn't get down that far, just the head gasket. Wish it were something I could anticipate before tearing it down, but I guess it's not that easy.

Been dragging my feet a bit but scooter's on the lift...going to check valve clearances just in case that has something to do with the noise, but I don't expect it to be that...but I'm heading that way anyway....
Going back to your basic question: "So getting around, finally to my question, how reliable are smell and sight as hints that there's a problem?" (with oil consumption)

Not reliable, I would conclude.

But tell us a bit more on that clattering noise.
It is a GTS 300 from 2013, correct? If it is, it has the same Quasar engine as my BV 300 ie from 2012. So what do you hear, and when and how?
What mileage did it do?
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
But tell us a bit more on that clattering noise.
It is a GTS 300 from 2013, correct? If it is, it has the same Quasar engine as my BV 300 ie from 2012. So what do you hear, and when and how?
What mileage did it do?
It's actually a 2015 ( same engine, no?). I think my earlier thread has all the info including a sound recording or two:
GTS engine noise

It's pretty much constant, kind of a higher pitched clatter, varies with RPM. 18K miles but ran low on oil briefly due to lost dipstick. (Ran and sounded fine for the 6K after that, FWIW.)
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
It's actually a 2015 ( same engine, no?). I think my earlier thread has all the info including a sound recording or two:
GTS engine noise

It's pretty much constant, kind of a higher pitched clatter, varies with RPM. 18K miles but ran low on oil briefly due to lost dipstick. (Ran and sounded fine for the 6K after that, FWIW.)
US 2015 is about the same as EU2014. Did you replace the base gasket when you did the head gasket?
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
US 2015 is about the same as EU2014. Did you replace the base gasket when you did the head gasket?
No, did not. I was just after the coolant leak at the time.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0133s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0060s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]