@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Has anyone been in the last couple years, and is it worth the detour between Siena and Cinque Terre?
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Has anyone been in the last couple years, and is it worth the detour between Siena and Cinque Terre?
Decide yourself and start Virtual Tour for first impression: https://www.museopiaggio.it/en (Feature is from 2021)
⚠️ Last edited by GermanGTSDriver on UTC; edited 1 time
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I think the big change in recent years is that you have to book a reservation in advance. When last I was there (in 2016), you could just walk in and peruse the exhibits. That doesn't seem to be the case any more.

I think the exhibits (specifically the models on display) are substantially the same. It looks like they've improved the presentation a bit, though.

I think that if you're into Vespas and you happen to be in Tuscany -- pretty much anywhere in Tuscany -- then you can't go wrong by stopping in.

Edited to add: Personally, seeing the Montlhery in person was worth the trip all by itself. But I might be biased.
OP
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I think the big change in recent years is that you have to book a reservation in advance.
You just saved me a wasted trip, thanks!

UPDATE: Go figure, the link to book a visit at the Moto Guzzi factory does not load.
OP
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Another update: Just found out my local Moto Guzzi dealer that since the pandemic, all factory museum access in Mandello Del Lario has been cancelled. Great news all around lol.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Another update: Just found out my local Moto Guzzi dealer that since the pandemic, all factory museum access in Mandello Del Lario has been cancelled. Great news all around lol.
Bummer.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
We have been there last summer.

We made a trip that day from Lucca to Siena and Pontedera is in the middle.
So we decided to have a visit to the museum.

As said you had to make a reservation. We did not know that, and we had no reservation. We found at the entrance.

I am the logical one of us and since we did not have a reservation my idea was we cannot get in. But my wife is more practical and she said: "we are here and we go in." And we did. Don't ask me how.

What we think is that this reservation thing is mainly linked to Covid and making sure not too many people are in at the same time. When we were there it was a very hot day but not too many visitors.

Is it worth a visit?

I liked it. But I was a bit disappointed because I did not find my 1962 160GS.

On the other hand I found Pontedera very interesting.

It is a small village. (With a very helpfull pharmacy in the center of town.)

Then there is the Viale Rinaldo Piaggio. That is where the museum is.
That entire street is Piaggio factories all over. And in the middle there is a technical school.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I was there in 2021. If you miss it, you aren't missing much. I think I wrote about it in Doing a lap around Italy.

It was just a few rooms lined with Vespas. They didn't really get into the science/design/engineering of it all. Was a lot of "and here is the following year's edition (presented without context)" and "over here is one we did with a Donald Duck decal."

Seemed to be more of a museum of Piaggio's marketing guy polishing his own ego about weird teamups than a museum of stylish Italian motorbikes.

The Ducati museum in Borgo Panigale was much better, and I knew basically nothing about Ducati when I went there.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
They didn't really get into the science/design/engineering of it all. Was a lot of "and here is the following year's edition (presented without context)" and "over here is one we did with a Donald Duck decal."
Agreed that there isn't a lot of context. Still, there are some very important bikes in that room, if you know what you're looking at. And yes, the onus shouldn't be on us to know, but that's Piaggio for you.

(I also think there might have been more context when I was last there in 2016, especially about the historic vintage models).
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
adri wrote:
The Moto Guzzi Museum is letting me book a visit. https://www.motoguzzi.com/us_EN/tradition/museum/
OP
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
The Moto Guzzi Museum is letting me book a visit. https://www.motoguzzi.com/us_EN/tradition/museum/
Were you able to complete booking all the way through? I always error out right away. The missus has some sort of black magic so she can get to step 3 before she gets an error and can't proceed.

We called our dealer who emailed their Guzzi rep who said they haven't reopened the museum since the pandemic. Maybe the rep was mistaken? 🤔
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Were you able to complete booking all the way through? I always error out right away. The missus has some sort of black magic so she can get to step 3 before she gets an error and can't proceed.

We called our dealer who emailed their Guzzi rep who said they haven't reopened the museum since the pandemic. Maybe the rep was mistaken? 🤔
Dozens of Google reviews from the last few days/weeks give the impression that the museum is open.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
Dozens of Google reviews from the last few days/weeks give the impression that the museum is open.
Friday and Saturday: 10.00 am -6.00 pm (local time)
Open to general public
The bookshop is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., every Friday and Saturday.

I read that as "Just bowl on up Friday or Saturday". Like it used to be at 3pm daily.

I think the guide can only manage a couple of days a week. Yawn emoticon

Make sure you head around the corner to Agostinis for better shopping than the factory.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Between Siena and Sinque Terre, I'd go and see the leaning tower of Pisa It's weird enough to warrant a visit. The roads at the coastal side tend to be busy, though.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0168s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0050s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]