OP
@toalmar avatar
UTC

GTS 300

@toalmar avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
Hello all
I bought a used GTS 300 from 2011 that would not start.
The last thing done with the scooter before it didn't start was change of belt and rollers. I found the fall why it didn't start. so the engine is ok now.
since the owner that change the belt and roller did also get it to not start I wonder if the rollers has been mounted correctly.

What will happen if the mounted wrong way?
How will the scooter operate if the mounted wrong way?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
the rollers had no bearing on starting.

if installed wrong the rollers will cause excessive wear real quick in the variator.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Unless the previous owner took a handful of rollers and stuck them in the variator without pushing them into the ramps, there's no way to incorrectly install them. You can put them on with one side facing left or right, and it won't change a thing. You can put half of them one way and the other half the other way, and it won't change a thing.
If you open up enough Vespa transmissions for their first service, you will soon realize that even the factory doesn't put them in the same way all the time.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Unless the previous owner took a handful of rollers and stuck them in the variator without pushing them into the ramps, there's no way to incorrectly install them. You can put them on with one side facing left or right, and it won't change a thing. You can put half of them one way and the other half the other way, and it won't change a thing.
If you open up enough Vespa transmissions for their first service, you will soon realize that even the factory doesn't put them in the same way all the time.
Well they damn well should - there's a thrust side and the trailing side.

If they're in the wrong way round, the much thinner trailing side will wear faster, and will need to be replaced before the others even have a chance to develop flats.

Position rollers one at a time in the 12 o'clock position, rotating the variator as you go. The larger area (where you can't see the brass insert) goes to the left.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
If both the ramp plate and outer sheave are spined, how is there any side force on the weights? Any side force would preclude the weights from moving smoothly in the channels.
What function do the slide peices perform?

jimc wrote:
No PMs please - ask questions in the Forum.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Well they damn well should - there's a thrust side and the trailing side.

If they're in the wrong way round, the much thinner trailing side will wear faster, and will need to be replaced before the others even have a chance to develop flats.

Position rollers one at a time in the 12 o'clock position, rotating the variator as you go. The larger area (where you can't see the brass insert) goes to the left.
I've seen the workshop manual and that's how they tell you to put them in.
But after opening a lot of Vespa transmissions over the years, I can tell you that at the factory, they don't think it's as crucial as they might want you to believe. Quite often it looks like someone dropped a handful of weights onto the variator and put them in as they landed. And I haven't seen any more wear on the ones that are "backwards" than on the ones that match the picture in the book.
It's sort of like Yamaha telling owners in the owner's manual to use a special gear oil in the final drive, while the workshop manuals told the techs to use motor oil.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0119s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0034s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]