OP
UTC

PX 125

PX 125
UTC quote
Desperately in need of help here guys, apologies if this has been covered before or if I'm in the wrong forum.
I have searched extensively online for solutions to this problem but without success

I have bought a Piaggio Liberty 50cc 2021 for my son. The instrument cluster was damaged so I bought a new one off ebay and fitted it. The LCD display comes on now but the speedometer doesn't move when I'm riding and the odometer doesn't progress.
I have checked all of the fuses I can see and they are all fine. there isn't a speedo cable so I presume it's a speed sensor somewhere.

Any help anyone can give to get the speedo and odometer working again would be gratefully received

Many thanks in advance

Cheers, Mick
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
What other areas were 'damaged'?
Was it dropped, front hit, ?

O.S.
OP
UTC

PX 125

PX 125
UTC quote
Thanks for getting back to me.
When I bought the scooter there was no glass in the speedo and the speedo didn't work. When I got home I removed the faulty speedo and found it to be full of water! There is no evidence of a major crash at all.

I bought a replacement speedo and fitted it and it appears to be working fine is terms of the LED part anyway, petrol gauge, engine management light etc. But the speedometer doesnt work and the odometer doesnt either.

Symptoms, as fully as I can

When I start the engine with no revs, all of the lights come on as normal, the time, the petrol, the engine management light and the ABS light.
The speedo needle doesn't move at all

If I start the engine and rev the engine, exactly the same as the above but the speedo needle goes all the way over to max speed and then immediately back to zero.

When I go for a short ride, the ABS light stays on throughout and I notice that, when I'm at full speed (30mph) the speedo needle goes up a tiny amount to about 2 or 3 mph

If you need to know anything else please ask away
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
Not being a wise guy but is a speedo really necessary on a 30mph bike?
OP
UTC

PX 125

PX 125
UTC quote
No not at all but when I come to sell, I would have to tell them that the mileage isn't accurate as the odometer isn't working. that's my only issue
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
Mikey Dread wrote:
there isn't a speedo cable so I presume it's a speed sensor somewhere
probably a slotted disc on the front wheel with a small sensor
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

PX 125

PX 125
UTC quote
Latest update
I have taken out around a million screws and disconnected the abs cable just behind the speedo. Again i notice a fair bit of water in there, it was dripping out. I dried everything I could with kitchen roll and then left it unconnected to air dry for a while as well.
I the cleaned the sensor on the brake disk, and the sensor area on the disk itself
When I reconnected the cable and tested it on a short drive, I find that still the abs light still stayed on and the speedometer and odometer still didn't move.

I am assuming that, if I replace the cable, that should work again?
Any views?

Cheers Mick
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
You have water out of the used unit you purchased too, or?

Your used unit seems to be the way to go, if it was never wet. IMHO it seems that all your problems are down at the wheel hub.
I'm no expert on ABS sensors - but have read that the mechanisms down at the wheel hub must be aligned and with-in specific tolerances. ABS light on indicates there is a problem with the adjustment down at the wheel hub.
Perhaps the same is true with the speedometer pick-up, down there as well.

AF1-Racing sells a service manual for LIBERTY 150i - not sure how much the 50 shares with the 150 - would bet the instrument cluster, ABS etc. would be the same?

O.S.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
AF1-Racing sells a service manual for LIBERTY 150i - not sure how much the 50 shares with the 150 - would bet the instrument cluster, ABS etc. would be the same?

O.S.
Nope!

Liberty 50 = no ABS
Liberty 150 = Front ABS
Different scale on speedometer
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0100s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0034s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]