@kmarx avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2014 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@kmarx avatar
2014 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Ok I have to do both and have never worked on my GTS before, I think there's a kit for replacing the stems, both are out, I can take the body apart easy enough and I bought the push pull cable from scooter west last year so...all the advice you can give me please. Thank you!
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
UTC quote
I've never replaced cables on a Vespa before. To replace the valve stems you need to remove the tires. Here's a video from Scooterwest on how to do it. Stem replacement is at 13:00

UTC

Hooked
2008 S150, 2012 GTS 300, 2002 R1150R

Hooked
2008 S150, 2012 GTS 300, 2002 R1150R
UTC quote
The Scooterwest video was very helpful. The amount of information they have made available to us is invaluable.

I just changed two tires on the 12 GTS300, using CityGrip 2 for both, and replaced valve stems in each. This was my first time, so I'll share my issues...

The diagonal cutting pliers work well in cutting the valve stem. But my first attempt was no good, because the inner core/thread was in the way. Then, bending the valve stem down a bit enabled the diagonal cutter to easily cut across the rubber alone.

With re-installation, soapy water as mentioned or other lubricant. I used Ru-Glyde Tire Mounting Lubricant, as recommended by Marc Parnes (wheel balancer) for tire installation. Just had it on hand. After pushing the valve stem in from inside, the diagonal cutting pliers do work to get the stem in place. I tried to emulate the video, by gently clamping across the base of the outside thread and levering up. But the pliers slipped on the thread and damaged a few. I then used the metal cap and tightened it down on the valve stem, then used the diagonal pliers to hold the stem just under the bottom of the metal cap, while levering it up, and it worked very well. I did place a towel over the wheel to avoid scratching it during this maneuver.

Just my two cents, based on yesterday's experience only.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
why replace the stems?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
why replace the stems?
If they were originals, they'd be 12 years old - no bueno.

My UK dealer insists on replacing them every time - for a few pence more it can save a lot of aggro.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
If they were originals, they'd be 12 years old - no bueno.

My UK dealer insists on replacing them every time - for a few pence more it can save a lot of aggro.
maybe just replace the cores not the stem? I'm thinking of doing that real soon as I do seem to have slow leak of a couple of psi per month
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
maybe just replace the cores not the stem? I'm thinking of doing that real soon as I do seem to have slow leak of a couple of psi per month
In my own experience, it's the seal of the stem to the rim that fails, not the core, especially if the tyre's gone flat for some other reason first. Inevitably the stem gets wiggled when re-filling that flat tyre. A good clean-up and a new stem fixes it.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I have a tool for replacing valve stems. It looks like a T handle nut driver, but it screws onto the valve stem, and makes it super easy to pull through. I got it a long time ago, after I damaged a new stem trying to pull it through with pliers. Mine screws onto the external threads on the stem, not the internal threads, which prevents damaging the internal threads that the core screws into.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
If your tires are still in fine shape, and all you need to do is replace the stems, you can do it without removing the wheels. Use a big c-clamp and a 1X4 board on the other side. Break the bead near the stem on the side the stem is on. Position the clamp so you have room to remove the stem. Put in the new one. I have found the tire will air up and the bead will set easier if you break the bead around the whole wheel. This allows the tire to move evenly back in place as the bead seats.
OP
@kmarx avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2014 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@kmarx avatar
2014 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
When I went to inflate both stems snapped off. 1600 miles on factory tires now. hope I don't need new ones, anyone?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
KMarx wrote:
When I went to inflate both stems snapped off. 1600 miles on factory tires now. hope I don't need new ones, anyone?
snapping the stems won't affect the health of the tires.

but I am left wondering how on earth did you snap them?
OP
@kmarx avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2014 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@kmarx avatar
2014 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
snapping the stems won't affect the health of the tires.

but I am left wondering how on earth did you snap them?
well, not tire health, this is still my factory set though. I don't know. went out to fill them, both came right off looked like the stems cracked around the base of each
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Umm, if I've got that right, you have a 2014 with minimum 9 year old tires?

I think they've lived a full life by now. If your stems popped off, I think your tires aren't at their best. Even if they look good, they loose flexibility and grip at best....and dangerous at worst.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200

Hooked
@rob_g avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:

I think they've lived a full life by now. If your stems popped off, I think your tires aren't at their best. Even if they look good, they loose flexibility and grip at best....and dangerous at worst.
Great advice. The stems were the same age as the tires. Replace them. And get that tool that was mentioned earlier. I just put in a stem on a new wheel using sunlight to make it flexible and soap to make it slippery. I had to use pliars to pull it through but a purpose made tool would have been terrific.
OP
@kmarx avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2014 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@kmarx avatar
2014 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
KMarx wrote:
well, not tire health, this is still my factory set though. I don't know. went out to fill them, both came right off looked like the stems cracked around the base of each
I was thinking it best to do it myself but have the new tires mounted somewhere else. My only local bike shop mounts tires if purchased through the shop. Having it towed there would run $220 plus he wants $300 for throttle cable and install, and I'm betting tires at his prices mounted would run $250+

I've got the new push/pull cable; rather do all but the tire mounting myself, and take them to any tire shop instead.

My dealer offered me $3000 in trade as is. Makes me wonder if I should trade in.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rob_g avatar
UTC quote
I love spending other peoples money and I'm sure you'd LOVE a new bike but you can do all that work yourself. You just need a set of tire irons, some rim protectors, some soapy water, and some sunlight. I just mounted a new tire last week and my job turned out better than every tire shop job I've had. If you get stuck message me and we can do it together on the phone.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
you can use a big C-clamp to break the bead of the tire with the rim still fixed in place and wriggle a new valve stem in there.

but if your stems failed, then your tires are probably toast too.

$300 to replace the throttle cables is not a bad deal at all. you basically have to disassemble the whole front half of the bike so it's a little involved.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
you can use a big C-clamp to break the bead of the tire with the rim still fixed in place and wriggle a new valve stem in there.

$300 to replace the throttle cables is not a bad deal at all. you basically have to disassemble the whole front half of the bike so it's a little involved.
What ^ he said!
When I could not find a shop anywhere near me I purchased a few 5 inch C-clamps at my local(28 mi. away0 to help put my new city grip 2's on my scoot. made tire changing a snap for this 70+ year old sometimes grouch.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
UTC quote
frank thomas wrote:
What ^ he said!
When I could not find a shop anywhere near me I purchased a few 5 inch C-clamps at my local(28 mi. away0 to help put my new city grip 2's on my scoot. made tire changing a snap for this 70+ year old sometimes grouch.
What tire irons do you use?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
rob g wrote:
I love spending other peoples money and I'm sure you'd LOVE a new bike but you can do all that work yourself. You just need a set of tire irons, some rim protectors, some soapy water, and some sunlight. I just mounted a new tire last week and my job turned out better than every tire shop job I've had. If you get stuck message me and we can do it together on the phone.
Do you balance them?

Might be able to rig my Park bicycle truing stand to spin balance scooter wheels.

Also observed currently my Sprint 150 tires has been balanced but no wheel weights on my GTS 300

I think the Robot parking lot tire change video
and this one from Skycycles are two of the best

@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
Most of the manufacturers say motorcycle tires have a 10 year use by date.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Most of the manufacturers say motorcycle tires have a 10 year use by date.
Splitting hairs here, but I'd be interested in seeing the dates on the tires. My 2013 had 2012 tires...
OP
@kmarx avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2014 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@kmarx avatar
2014 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

I've got a new cable, and I'm going to take her apart. Then I'll figure to how to handle the wheels
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
KMarx wrote:
I've got a new cable, and I'm going to take her apart. Then I'll figure to how to handle the wheels
if you can do the throttle cable you can definitely do the tires! a lot of shops will install tires on rims for walk-ins for not much money.

be sure to grab a fresh cotter pin for the rear and having a spare exhaust gasket on hand is always a good idea.

good luck!
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rob_g avatar
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
Do you balance them?

Might be able to rig my Park bicycle truing stand to spin balance scooter wheels.

Also observed currently my Sprint 150 tires has been balanced but no wheel weights on my GTS 300

I think the Robot parking lot tire change video
and this one from Skycycles are two of the best

I do balance them. I use one of those Marc Parnes balancers. You can probably use that truing stand just fine.
Balancing
Balancing
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0218s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0065s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]