OP
UTC

Vespa Piaggio

Vespa Piaggio
UTC quote
Hello
I am considering to buy a classic vespa and i found one that seems to have all the characteristics i am looking for but, being not an expert, i would like to ask you if there is anything in particular that i should check or ask for when inspecting the scooter in person.
I am open to improvements and not looking for the "perfect" vehicle but definitely want to make sure i am not wasting my money on something that is not worthy.
Thank you for your help!!!
Pics attached
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC quote
Hello. Welcome. Glad you came here to ask ???s before you pull the trigger.

I can only tell you what I see from the pictures. Looks to be a lower mileage, Super in decent shape. Supers are not as desirable as Sprints, from what the market seems to show. Keep this in mind for pricing. Front fender looks to have been repainted at some point. Left legshield near the bottom looks bent perhaps. All turn signals are there, which is rather uncommon. Rear tractor light has been changed out to accommodate the rear rack. Leg-shield basket is not common either, if it is period correct. Speedometer stuck at 30mph is weird. If the speedomeer doesn't click over, the mileage means nothing. If it is stuck at 30 but the odometer still clicks over, then the mileage may be somewhat accurate. I believe this should be an oil-injected engine. Ask if it works, if so, make sure there is oil in the reservoir.

Check the inside of the gas tank for rust or crud.
Check the battery area (inside left panel) to make sure the battery did not boil over or leak and rust the panel from the inside out.
Check under the bike and look for any rust areas on the bottom of the floorboard area.
Remove the right side (engine) cowl and look for rotted rubber pieces, rats-nest-janky wiring, missing pieces, etc.
Check legshield and tunnel for any weird buckles, or ripples which may indicate crash damage (i.e. repainted front fender).
Site down the bike from the rear and front, lining up the seat to the handlebars to see if the frame is twisted.(Twists don't always show a buckle or ripple in the legshield or tunnel).
Check that it runs, shifts and stops, correctly, if advertised as a running bike.
Ask what work has been done to it, if so, where/who did the work (professional shop or shade-tree mechanic).

Basic starting point of what to look for and look at.
The more knowledgeable consortium will chime in to add other things to check for.
OP
UTC

Vespa Piaggio

Vespa Piaggio
UTC quote
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply!
You have been super helpful.
I am going to meet the seller on Saturday morning so I will be able to come up with additional info.
The only issue that has been disclosed so far is that the ignition works but it needs to be replaced, for the rest, the scooter runs and performs as expected.
thank you again for everything!
(More pics attached)
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC quote
You're welcome. I hope you find what you are looking for and it turns out to be a good deal!

The ignition on your Vespa uses the universal key. They were all the same for that vintage. The key in the picture you posted is incorrect. If the ignition works, you may just need to buy the correct 'key'. Key shown below. I don't believe those ignition switches are made anymore. They are quite simple and can possibly be fixed.
All keys were the same if they looked like this.
All keys were the same if they looked like this.
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J

Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
UTC quote
How much?
OP
UTC

Vespa Piaggio

Vespa Piaggio
UTC quote
garncarz
We are in the 3-3.5k range
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Looks like a legit late model Super.

I'd be surprised if the ignition switch needs replacing. 74-76 Supers & Sprints used an 8-pole switch to accommodate the signals. They're pretty robust, and as mentioned, use a universal key (or a screwdriver). May just need cleaning. Replacement switches are available, but not cheap. What you won't be able to find is a new chrome retaining nut, so don't lose that! The horn and light switches are also tough to find so treat them with care. Nice find.
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
Not really sure about price or what you are looking for in a classic scooter. If you are looking for that pre P series vintage look, the VBB's and Supers offer that at a lower price than the rarer models. I tend to prefer P series bikes for functionality and availability of parts, but it may not have the classic look you are seeking. Buying something original and unmolested with honest wear and tear is a safer bet than anything with shiny new paint.
OP
UTC

Vespa Piaggio

Vespa Piaggio
UTC quote
Thanks everyone for the interest to my post and to all the precious information and feedbacks you shared.
I love the vintage look of this vespa. I am italian, I grew up in Italy now living in US and this scooter reminds me of my grandfather and my childhood. I think that's what I love the most about it… it feels like home
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
Ines wrote:
Thanks everyone for the interest to my post and to all the precious information and feedbacks you shared.
I love the vintage look of this vespa. I am italian, I grew up in Italy now living in US and this scooter reminds me of my grandfather and my childhood. I think that's what I love the most about it… it feels like home
You've come to the right place. In my opinion, one of greatest achievements of industrial design in terms of form, function and economy.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
UTC quote
looks like a legit bike. all basically there, some bruises but nothing crazy. genuine US bike instead of a bodge. the price is probably too high but really it just depends on condition when you see it and what you feel comfortable paying. make sure you're happy that the engine is working well at that price point. if not, use it to get yourself a price break.

should be a winner.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
It's a good looking bike. As mentioned, please make sure that frame is straight before you pull the trigger. The fender and a little weirdness when it's viewed from the back make me a tiny bit concerned…. Now it could just be that it's sitting on gravel, and the rear rack looks askew, but you wanna be very careful about something like that. A bent frame is no joke.

If straight … it'd Be a very cool bike in the 2500 to 2800 range. 76 should make it a 3 port engine with lots of upgrade options available.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Some things:

Approach the visit with an "I can walk away" mindset. I guarantee you there will be others that invariably come up, if you're patient. That's not a deal of the day, so maybe come back here with what you experience before pulling the trigger.

Guessing "the ignition needs to be replaced" means the stator/coil/etc vs the switch. That should be expected, as these bikes have the most convoluted electrical systems ever.

Given the pics you posted, you MUST ride it out on a flat road and see how it tracks.
At cruise speed, does it want to pull in either direction or feel at all wobbly? (read Socalguy's signature ROFL emoticon ).
OP
UTC

Vespa Piaggio

Vespa Piaggio
UTC quote
Ok guys
I have an update.
Let's start saying I got that vespa. It's in good shape, i went meticulously through your check list and all looked good!
The ignition works, it's just the key that needs to be replaced. The scooter runs and start smoothly and the frame is ok.
The only thinks we actually found out that need some care are: the tires will probably need to be replaced soon and it may need a new capacitor for the horn. Lights and signals are working. All the rest is really in good shape.
The seller was the kindest guy, an ex motorcycle champ and a true lover of classic bikes and we managed to close this deal at 2K and that made feel very comfortable as well.
Today was a good day!
Thanks all for everything you guys are amazing!!!
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
2k is a solid deal. Enjoy!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Ines wrote:
Ok guys
I have an update.
.... and it may need a new capacitor for the horn. ...
Facepalm emoticon

Welcome and congrats on a good deal on a great looking bike. Clap emoticon And you've just proved that it IS a genuine Vespa! ROFL emoticon
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
That's a good deal. 2k was about what I was thinking. Congratulations!
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Great deal at 2k!

Well done.
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC quote
Complimenti per un bell'acquisto! Clap emoticon
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Good score! Love a good 150 Super.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0065s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]