@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free
79p200e 66smallstate 85pk50xl 84p125ets 63GL

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Pipe on, carb on, basic wiring to fire it up. No filter for now.

A little bit of a progress delay/detour as I had to head to Tulsa for some 'business'.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Its ALIVE!!!
Need a few heat cycles, attach control cables and go for a test ride. Seems very rich at factory settings for the carb out of the box.

OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Quite smoky. 3% mix and a rich carb setting.
I do like the sound of it.

UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Something like this might work with some fiddlin'

https://www.treatland.tv/OKO-air-filter-p/oko-air-filter-g1-48mm.htm
I tried that exact same filter out over the front of my P200's stock airbox. For some reason it made the engine run like poo. I talked to one of my friends who had that filter on his smallframe track bike, and he also said that same filter worked like poo on his hopped up smally. I don't know what the issue was, but for some reason that particular filter blocked the airflow too much.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
That sounds like victory… pinging, fast, brap- Brap-brap annoy your neighbors victory. Love it.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I had to relocate my fuel tap rod in order to fit my air filter. I have 25mil Delly PHBL25, so the outlet is a smaller diameter than yours though.
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/racing-air-filter-marchald-power-double-layer-0-25_40231020

You can also use a plain affordable ol' Uni filter. Cut the foam off of the rubber base. Shorten the foam to the length you want, then use Gorilla glue to reattach the foam to the rubber base.

Also, maybe switch over to a 180 degree throttle cable bend?
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/cable-bend-malossi-dell-orto-sha-phva-phbg-phbh-phbl-phf-phm-160_M263991
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Thank you for the tips and info on the filters, whodatschrome, SoCalGuy. Uni filter custom-cut-size is a nice idea. I am going to have to go on the shorter side as the filter moves toward the front as the rear shock compresses. No filter is also an option. We will see moving forward.
chandlerman wrote:
I run the Smallstate with no filter. Other than spitback all over the inside of the frame, it works great.
This would also be a built in rust preventative, I suppose. Might be the perfect answer.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
poidog wrote:
Quite smoky. 3% mix and a rich carb setting.
I do like the sound of it.

Nice…! What jetting do you have it on at the moment?

55, AS266, x2, 150?
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
SmartCarb SC2 with an eq26 rod.
No jets in the traditional sense.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
poidog wrote:
SmartCarb SC2 with an eq26 rod.
No jets in the traditional sense.
Oh yeah! Forgot you're using a smartcarb.

Was assuming you're using a phbh for some reason. Facepalm emoticon
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
108 wrote:
Oh yeah! Forgot you're using a smartcarb.

Was assuming you're using a phbh for some reason. Facepalm emoticon
Lol, no worries. So many different configuration options!

So the clutch drags something TERRIBLE. Crying or Very sad emoticon I am Using a Crimaz cover with a 4 plate PK stocker clutch and basket. Very light pull but the drag is unacceptable. It's a question of mechanical advantage vs throw, as pointed out by chandlerman here. Putting enough pre-load on the clutch to offer clean separation (no dragging) results in slippage under power. Decided to try the version 2 clutch cover with the 'number 6' push rod set up. Great clutch separation but horrendous strength needed to pull at the lever! Decided to try the crimaz gear conversion set up with v2 cover. Perfect! Light pull and proper separation and no slippage yet.

Will run a few gallons through the engine and then beat on it to see if the clutch holds.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
poidog wrote:
Lol, no worries. So many different configuration options!

So the clutch drags something TERRIBLE. Crying or Very sad emoticon I am Using a Crimaz cover with a 4 plate PK stocker clutch and basket. Very light pull but the drag is unacceptable. It's a question of mechanical advantage vs throw, as pointed out by chandlerman here. Putting enough pre-load on the clutch to offer clean separation (no dragging) results in slippage under power. Decided to try the version 2 clutch cover with the 'number 6' push rod set up. Great clutch separation but horrendous strength needed to pull at the lever! Decided to try the crimaz gear conversion set up with v2 cover. Perfect! Light pull and proper separation and no slippage yet.

Will run a few gallons through the engine and then beat on it to see if the clutch holds.
I installed that Crimaz plunger in my PK 135 touring build, and though i didn't try out my new Fabbri clutch with the stock plunger, the current clutch lever pull is now much more stiff than the stock clutch with the stock plunger. Maybe i need to remove a few springs from my Fabbri basket?
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Side by side comparison would possibly be more accurate. I think the Fabbri was made to run with the PK geared cover, V3, the lightest pull of the bunch. I would imagine the springs in it are considerably more stiff than the stocker PK clutch.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

71 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
the point of the different length plungers is so that the clutch arm is at optimal travel (generally, from just before to just after perpendicular to the clutch) so you can get the desired travel for the lever pull.

If you wanted to get a softer pull, you could move the arm's alignment with a different lever, so you'd get more mechanical advantage because there'd be less movement of the plunger for the same movement of the clutch lever. Similar effect to increasing or reducing the length of the clutch arm, like this adjustable arm.

Soooo many ways to tackle this particular problem.
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
If you wanted to get a softer pull, you could move the arm's alignment with a different lever, so you'd get more mechanical advantage because there'd be less movement of the plunger for the same movement of the clutch lever. Similar effect to increasing or reducing the length of the clutch arm, like this adjustable arm.

Soooo many ways to tackle this particular problem.
I saw that adjustable arm! Thinking about getting it. The clutch works well for now. Let me beat on it some and see what happens.

Test rides are a quick short shift to 2nd as 1st gear scares me if it comes on the power. Good ol' two-stroke light-switch powerband... it's off.... then it's ON!!!
Still getting used to the carb. I think it is lean for what this motor needs. Burbling crazy rich 4-stroking down low and then it gets on the pipe and WHAM. It comes on too hard and sounds air-y. CHT confirms lean-ness. I have ordered two richer needles. Will confirm findings.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I'm definitely curious about your adventures tuning the SmartCarb. It seems like it's not nearly as plug n' play as it's made out to be, but once it's dialed in, it's pretty much rock solid.
@roland87 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'13 LML Star 200, '81 50 Special, '81 P 150 X, '87 PK 50 Nuova, '84 PK 50 S

Molto Verboso
@roland87 avatar
'13 LML Star 200, '81 50 Special, '81 P 150 X, '87 PK 50 Nuova, '84 PK 50 S
UTC quote
poidog wrote:
I saw that adjustable arm! Thinking about getting it. The clutch works well for now. Let me beat on it some and see what happens.
Just warn you that I saw lot of reports with this adjustable arms were bended after first kick. You need to check all carefully after installing one.
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I'm definitely curious about your adventures tuning the SmartCarb. It seems like it's not nearly as plug n' play as it's made out to be, but once it's dialed in, it's pretty much rock solid.
Most definitely not plug n play. Plug n pray maybe. They have very little to no data on our niche of the two stroke world. KTMs, Husqvarnas, Hondas, Yamahas, Betas, GasGas, to name a few, they have lots of data on and can pretty much give you plug n play. Their telephone support line is awesome! The few times I have called so far, a very knowledgeable person picks up the phone and gives some great info and insight. I am hopeful to see it work favorably.
roland87 wrote:
Just warn you that I saw lot of reports with this adjustable arms were bended after first kick. You need to check all carefully after installing one.
Thank you roland. Good information. I will keep in mind if I do purchase one.
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Richer of two new rods went straight in first. Better, but still not where I want it. Having to lean out the rod on the bottom end quite a bit, just to get it to idle and have any acceleration from a stop. This makes the whole rod lean so it affects the top end also a little. Ideally, there will be a rod profile that I won't have to lean out so much. Still testing and conferring with SmartCarb people.
Sound bite from my phone. Sorry I don't have a gopro. You get the idea.
Still too rich on the bottom end. Moving in the right direction though.

So far, the clutch is holding under power, albeit not jetted ideally yet, and is still separating just fine. I am glad I went with a heavier flywheel and up-geared it. I think these two things are helping the stockish 4-plate PKXL2 clutch. Timing right at 17 degrees fixed. Found an original seat for this bike. I like it better than the seat that came with the scoot.

Sound bite link below.
https://youtube.com/shorts/ZF4kAgEkPgA?feature=share
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
*Burbles*

Seat looks the snazz.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Whole bike looks the snazz and sounds mean, too. It's gotta be a ton of fun to ride.
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
I figured the smaller seat makes the pipe look bigger. Wait, am I allowed to say that?
Birdsnest wrote:
*Burbles*

Seat looks the snazz.
chandlerman wrote:
Whole bike looks the snazz and sounds mean, too. It's gotta be a ton of fun to ride.
Thanks gents. It is fun, but the low end burble is a bit of a pain.
Some progress here though!

So, to try a new rod, it costs 50 bucks. Ouch you may say, but, what you don't use in the way of rods, you send back and they credit you for the rod!! Outstanding!!
Talking to tech support again, I ask for even richer rods. The phone tech I had on the line, which I have talked to a few times already was very aware of what I was trying to accomplish. Mentioned was a new, rod series with a different grind. Ok, I will give it a try.

I ordered 2 more richer rods, a package shows up with a note and 4 rods. Wow! SmartCarb support is AMAZING! See pic below.

A bit of setup preface for the carb. Each carb comes with a baseline setting of slide height, and number of rod clicks from full rich. These are to be reset upon putting in a new rod so a starting basis point can be established every time the rod is changed.

I was now on the E-k24 rod. I went to the richer, E-k22 rod. Skipping one rod in the step. Better, but still not as rich on top as I want. Try the E-k20 rod. Still not rich enough. Now here is where I started learning a bit about these carbs. There are 3 parameters that these rods are created to. Length of rod, grind length, and tip width. The length will not change with the rods I am using. This is the first letter. The grind length is represented by the second letter of the rod, and the tip width changes with the number. The tip width number is basically the main jet size, richer or leaner at WOT. The grind length is where the profile magic happens in the transition from low throttle to WOT.
I decided to stay with the k series of rods and keep the grind length the same to minimize variables. However, to get the low end usable, I kept having to lean out the rod. I was leaning the rod out to its limit. This was affecting the WOT tip width as you must lower the whole rod, which was leaning out the WOT mixture a bit. Lastly, I tried the new grind, their E-f series of rod with shorter grind.

Voila!!! WOW! The bike started right up and went to a nice slow idle. All of the previous rods, were so rich upon starting, I had to constantly blip the throttle to get them to idle until I leaned out the rod. This rod had good throttle response, and idle close to perfect! Went for a test ride. YAAAHHOOOOO! It was almost perfectly dialed in for the low and mid. I actually went a couple of clicks richer on this rod. This is the first rod I had clicked richer. Upon running a few WOT runs, this is the best rod for this setup yet! I am totally stoked with this carb now. It runs clean, it is responsive, and is really easy to 'rejet' considering I only have to remove the top of the carb to change the jetting. If the rod is correct, I remove NOTHING, I just dial a few clicks here and there for the low and mid range where the majority of my throttle is during normal riding. Their support is AMAZING!

I am asking for a richer rod in this series and they do not make it yet. I want WOT as rich as possible to keep temps down. I realize that their main market is water-cooled 2-strokes. Their needles are aimed at this market. Water cooled engines can run closer to the ideal stoichiometic ratio of 14.7 to 1 without the risk of seizing. Air-cooled 2-stroke engines rely on fuel to provide some cooling. Probably running closer to 12.5 to 1 for some of the higher tuned engines. SmartCarb is growing so is their database and consumer base. It sounds as if there are requests coming in for different grinds. If I can get a richer rod, I will report.

Sorry to be so verbose on this one.
How cool it THAT!
How cool it THAT!
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
Awesome it's getting there!
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Great write up amigo.... And great to hear there are companies like Smart Carb out there doing things the right way. Dig it!
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Rumors-

I heard someone hit 62… in third!!!!
😃 lolz! Just nuts.
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Meh, nothing compared to Chandlerman's smallstate! 70+ in third if I recall. I can't rev to 12,000 rpm, but I am totally ok with that!
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
All relative I suppose…

If I hit 42 in 3rd on my primavera I consider it a win. 😊
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
The biggest problem with being able to do 70 in 3rd is that you tend to do 70 in places where you should really just be in third gear.
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Rumors-

I heard someone hit 62… in third!!!!
😃 lolz! Just nuts.
When safe to do so, my 221 will do 77mph in third gear. Scooter emoticon
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
You people is cwazeee.
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
When safe to do so, my 221 will do 77mph in third gear. Scooter emoticon
Clearly.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
You people is cwazeee.
Nah, just bad at analyzing risk. If we were crazy, we wouldn't be able to build such stupidly amazing machines. Razz emoticon
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Here we go a 70/3 club
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Here we go a 70/3 club
I'll just leave this here:

OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
An email from SmartCarb states richer rods in their E-f series are in the works. They claim the E-q series (rod the carb came with) is now "defunct".
Waiting and will report back findings.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
I'll just leave this here:
Hah!

Also, the fact that the picture of the band has them posing on a wideframe is just *chef's kiss* perfect.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
UTC quote
Poidog!
Catching up late - took it from the start.
Such a good read!
Love where you have taken this.

Great info on the E-F rods.

Had I not been so useless - I would have given you head's up right away.
The EQ was hopeless down low on mine as well.
I run the E-K's.

Though SC's method for dialing in right rod is to focus on idle end - I like to go from both sides to see what the ideal is.

In the end - I've opted for an EK rod that is just a hair rich down low - but great at WOT.
I run it at only a few clicks from leanest.
I suppose I could opt to chuck it up and sand the circumference at the tip - to richen a leaner rod.
Perhaps I will try that just to experiment.

Your E-F's are in my future - I'm sure.
Thanks for head's up.
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
CM22!
Read through your thread, a few times, to get an idea of the SC and it's setup.
Great tips and guidance. Thanks for that.
charlieman22 wrote:
Though SC's method for dialing in right rod is to focus on idle end - I like to go from both sides to see what the ideal is.
I am totally with you there. I couldn't get the low end ride-able with the richer E-K rods.

E-F rods coming middle of July is their ETA! Can't wait! I'm hoping the richer ones will be spot-on!
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
UTC quote
Mid July turned into mid/late August. Better late than never! New rod arrived yesterday. Their supplier is swamped, I was told. Plus I am requesting something that is not even in their standard lineup.

Nevertheless, I have gotten an E-F 22 rod.

BETTER!! Definitely better.

Temps are much better at sustained WOT high speed runs. Full throttle, 3rd gear roll-on runs from low rpm to high rpm are cleaner and hit harder when the pipe comes into the power-band. I am quite happy with this setup.

Only issue is, I am working from a known lean condition (danger area), moving towards an ideal sweet-spot. I wish I could work down from the other end of overly rich condition (safe area) to an ideal spot, somewhat like CM22 is doing. He is running in the 27-28 rod area. I am wondering if the huge difference in fuel requirements for our two setups, of similar engine size, is due to reed valve vs rotary valve. Same size SC2 carburetor. Just wondering out loud...

CM22 and I did chat about a power-jet setup. I am hesitant and reluctant to drill the carb body, but I could put a small velocity stack on and drill that to incorporate a power-jet set up.

Will keep running this set-up for now and try and fine tune the rod height a bit more.

Side note; clutch is holding so far and has good separation.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
Wonder how the SM compares to the VHSH on the egig?

Would love to get a SM to test, you're using a 28mm?

The egig 170 uses bigger main jetting than I had on a malossi 210 (almost by 10points). So I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between your setup and CM's rotary was totally different.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0297s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0093s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]